Configuring/disabling "Continue Playback"? [SOLVED]

macOS specific usage questions
Dhaka
New Cone
New Cone

Configuring/disabling "Continue Playback"? [SOLVED]

Postby Dhaka » 02 Oct 2014 15:59

Hello,

When I reopen previously opened media files, VLC shows a nasty "Continue Playback" dialog, asking me if I want to resume where I left. I say "nasty", because this dialog:
  • Doesn't have keyboard focus; even if I give it keyboard focus with the mouse, doesn't support the Tab key.
  • Pop-ups sometimes a dozen copies of its own self (a cascade of "Continue Playback" dialogs) for the same media file.
  • Closes sometimes the file when I click on "Continue".
I tried looking in the VLC Preferences for options related to the "Continue Playback" dialog, but I couldn't find any. How does one configure/disable "Continue Playback"?
Last edited by Dhaka on 03 Oct 2014 12:07, edited 1 time in total.

kdean
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna
VLC version: 2.2
Operating System: Mac OS

Re: Configuring/disabling "Continue Playback"?

Postby kdean » 03 Oct 2014 06:07

I've had the same cascading multiple "Continue Playback" windows as well from one video using VLC 2.2.

Go to Preferences and on the Interface section, about 2/3 down, find the "Continue playback" option with a pop-up menu you can set to "Never."

Dhaka
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Dhaka » 03 Oct 2014 12:06

@kdean: Thank you very much! You solved my problem.

P.S. For those who still can't find the option, it's more precisely in All preferences > Interface > main interface > macosx > Continue playback where you left off.

kdean
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna
VLC version: 2.2
Operating System: Mac OS

Re: Configuring/disabling "Continue Playback"? [SOLVED]

Postby kdean » 03 Oct 2014 18:38

While it is at the All Preferences location, it is at the easier to get to location that I specified as well... at least in VLC 2.2.

larryy
New Cone
New Cone

Re: Configuring/disabling "Continue Playback"? [SOLVED]

Postby larryy » 24 May 2015 01:28

Thank you, thank you, thank you! I'd gone looking and failed to find it, even though it was right where you said it was. The dialog was very annoying, and I'd made the mistake of saying "always continue" once, to make it leave me alone, then hated that behavior. And there's a bug that when you click the |<< arrow, to get back to the beginning, it would go first to the beginning, then jump right back where you were... It was incredibly frustrating. And, of course, the annoying dialog didn't even offer the "never" option. Being able to set it to "never" in the preferences has removed one of the two main annoyances with VLC 2.2.1 for me.

(The other major annoyance is I've so far been unable to make the stupid playlist window stop showing up in front of the main video window when I first open a file. Then hitting command-tilda to bring the main window forward, it won't show the media controller until I command-tab to a different app and command-tab back. I have to go through this annoying ritual about 80% of the time I open files now. Weirdly, some small fraction of the time the playlist window doesn't open in front, for no rhyme or reason that I can discern.)

concord72
New Cone
New Cone

Postby concord72 » 06 Jul 2015 04:16

@kdean: Thank you very much! You solved my problem.

P.S. For those who still can't find the option, it's more precisely in All preferences > Interface > main interface > macosx > Continue playback where you left off.
THANK YOU, YOU SAVED ME SO MUCH HASSLE

Return to “VLC media player for macOS Troubleshooting”