how to see the progress of conversion

macOS specific usage questions
oakwood
New Cone
New Cone

how to see the progress of conversion

Postby oakwood » 01 Dec 2013 05:30

Hi to all, sorry if this has been already addressed.
I am using VLC to convert files, and it works fine.
My problem is that I have found no way to actually see the progress of the conversion: as soon as I hit "save" in the conversion window (the one obtained after issuing the command "Convert / Stream..." under the "File" menu) the window disappears, and I see no progress bar, no "time remaining" counter, or anything similar, neither in the "main window" or in any separate window.

(What I am doing now is to open "Activity Monitor" and wait for the CPU usage of VLC to get back to normal.. :) )

Can you help?

Thanks!

dfuhrmann
Developer
Developer

Re: how to see the progress of conversion

Postby dfuhrmann » 02 Dec 2013 15:45

A new entry in playlist is created, and with normal playback controls you should see the status of the conversion.

psyentific
New Cone
New Cone

Postby psyentific » 19 Feb 2019 23:01

I'm sorry, I don't understand this answer about a new entry being created on the playlist - I don't see one happening, and I'm not sure what I should be doing with the playback controls to see the conversion status (that is non-intuitive/non-obvious). Watching Activity Monitor does work, as does forcing the mac to update the file size of the file under conversion by trying to open it with another program like Quicktime. It'll fail to open, but Finder will update the file size and you can see that it's increasing. Get Info does not have the same effect.

unidan
Developer
Developer

Postby unidan » 21 Feb 2019 13:51

What version of vlc?

Blastfemur
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Blastfemur » 28 Apr 2019 03:08

I'm on 3.0.6 (don't know your version) but once you schedule/create the conversion, you 'view -> playlist' (if it's not already up).
It says 'converting <file name> ...' but you need to highlight that and click 'play' to begin the actual conversion.
You can then see the progress at the bottom in the 'play' timeline.

Paradox9
New Cone
New Cone
VLC version: 1.1.7
Operating System: Win 7 Ultimate 32bit

Postby Paradox9 » 21 Aug 2020 19:16

I'm having this same issue, MacOS v3.0.8 Vetinari (Intel 64bit). I have playlist up and it does not show the new file name or a status of any kind. Am I missing something here?

ZsCortzones
New Cone
New Cone

Postby ZsCortzones » 01 Dec 2020 22:01

I had a similar issue, (I am on windows 10) If you were to Select Playback > Title then you would find a few options. I simply clicked the Title that I recognized to be the same length as the file, and then you will see the conversion of the file.

(I was testing this out with a DVD, and I am not sure if it works for other formats. Hope this helps!)

harrybhoy
New Cone
New Cone

Postby harrybhoy » 21 Dec 2023 11:56

I'm on 3.0.6 (don't know your version) but once you schedule/create the conversion, you 'view -> playlist' (if it's not already up).
It says 'converting <file name> ...' but you need to highlight that and click 'play' to begin the actual conversion.
You can then see the progress at the bottom in the 'play' timeline.
Many thanks simple explanation cheers.

Return to “VLC media player for macOS Troubleshooting”