VLC is ok but the interface stinks

macOS specific usage questions
negativeions
New Cone
New Cone

VLC is ok but the interface stinks

Postby negativeions » 08 Sep 2013 23:52

I just want to know what kind of a f*cked up world the UI developer is living in where he thinks that having the playlist window open all the time is a good idea. Not only that but the playlist window has the controls on it and it doesn't go over the "window" that the movie plays it. It breaks all the UI rules of OSX. How about this – and my new born infant nefew agreed with me this is a good idea – why don't you just MAKE THE PLAYER BE ONE BLOODY WINDOW with floating controls on top!! Wow, what a revelation! Just like every other player out there! You don't say. The playlist should obviously be a separate thing that you can open from the menu or hotkey.. you don't have the playlist open right away and have it stay there with the controls. That's just stupid. Just make a normal player for normal people not this stupid bullsh*t for *ssholes. "yeah, but you can change it in the options, and do this and set that". Shut up. Seriously. All you have to do is copy, literally, COPY mother F*cken Quicktime player's UI. With of course the addition of tons more intuitive hotkeys and multitouch. Please make me your new UI designer. I will design a better UI in 10 minutes and it'll be 100x better and more people will like it. Please, contact me, send me an e-mail. You will get hundreds of more downloads per minute.

numanoids
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Re: VLC is ok but the interface stinks

Postby numanoids » 09 Sep 2013 00:12

I'm fairly new here, but judging by the vitriolic nature of your post I'm guessing you won't get an awful lot of good feedback from the devs to your post.

And as for becoming a UI designer? I can imagine your response to any critiques of your design and that would ultimately cause a lot more harm than good.

negativeions
New Cone
New Cone

Postby negativeions » 09 Sep 2013 00:16

Just tried 2.1 rc1. Same old bullcrap. I don't want to see the playlist window at all. I just want to double click on a file and have it playback in ONE PLAYBACK WINDOW with the window controls on THAT same window and playback controls floating over THAT same window. I DON"T NEED A PLAYLIST! The playlist is separate. I am right. The VLC UI design is wrong. Who said this is a good idea? What book did you read that in? Who was demanding this be the default? NO ONE and NO WHERE. "Why are you so upset, respectfully make a suggestion"... are you really going to take my suggestions into account after all these years? Yeah...
Last edited by negativeions on 09 Sep 2013 00:19, edited 1 time in total.

negativeions
New Cone
New Cone

Postby negativeions » 09 Sep 2013 00:17

I'm fairly new here, but judging by the vitriolic nature of your post I'm guessing you won't get an awful lot of good feedback from the devs to your post.

And as for becoming a UI designer? I can imagine your response to any critiques of your design and that would ultimately cause a lot more harm than good.
Why would I get any negative feedback if I'm doing it right? "it's all subjective, look at me, I'm smart".

numanoids
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby numanoids » 09 Sep 2013 00:24

I'm not bothering to respond further, you're far too negative and I'm not wasting any further time responding to your trolling.

fkuehne
Developer
Developer
VLC version: 0.4.6 - present
Operating System: Darwin

Postby fkuehne » 09 Sep 2013 12:10

@negativeions: I'm waiting for your designs and your patches to implement the UI while retaining all the advanced features needed by the millions of people using (and downloading) VLC every day.
VideoLAN
Felix Paul Kühne
Medic. VLC developer for appleOS since before you were born.
Blog: https://www.feepk.net

Jean-Baptiste Kempf
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
VLC version: 4.0.0-git
Operating System: Linux, Windows, Mac

Postby Jean-Baptiste Kempf » 10 Sep 2013 00:10

I just want to know what kind of a f*cked up world the UI developer is living in where he thinks that having the playlist window open all the time is a good idea. Not only that but the playlist window has the controls on it and it doesn't go over the "window" that the movie plays it. It breaks all the UI rules of OSX. How about this – and my new born infant nefew agreed with me this is a good idea – why don't you just MAKE THE PLAYER BE ONE BLOODY WINDOW with floating controls on top!! Wow, what a revelation! Just like every other player out there! You don't say. The playlist should obviously be a separate thing that you can open from the menu or hotkey.. you don't have the playlist open right away and have it stay there with the controls. That's just stupid. Just make a normal player for normal people not this stupid bullsh*t for *ssholes. "yeah, but you can change it in the options, and do this and set that". Shut up. Seriously. All you have to do is copy, literally, COPY mother F*cken Quicktime player's UI. With of course the addition of tons more intuitive hotkeys and multitouch. Please make me your new UI designer. I will design a better UI in 10 minutes and it'll be 100x better and more people will like it. Please, contact me, send me an e-mail. You will get hundreds of more downloads per minute.
Dear as shole.

Just hide the playlist. There is a button for that.

And please go away. Noone forced you to use VLC.
Jean-Baptiste Kempf
http://www.jbkempf.com/ - http://www.jbkempf.com/blog/category/Videolan
VLC media player developer, VideoLAN President and Sites administrator
If you want an answer to your question, just be specific and precise. Don't use Private Messages.

Return to “VLC media player for macOS Troubleshooting”