VLC player won't properly display .ass or change metadata

macOS specific usage questions
Dimmii
New Cone
New Cone

VLC player won't properly display .ass or change metadata

Postby Dimmii » 22 Jan 2013 16:01

I just downloaded Steins Gate and with it came .ass files.
All my movies and animes I have, have inbuilt subtitles rather than extensions.
I read that you have to have the name of the .ass and the name of the .mkv,.avi, etc., the same.

First of all, the problem I have is that the metadata won't change, or rather, it keeps changing it back to it's old name for one of the .mkv file.
In Finder it is named as Steins Gate 1.mkv.
In VLC it is named differently and I wish to name it to Steins Gate 1.mkv, but each time I play the file it changes back to its old name.
I don't know why.

Second is that the subtitles are all coming up as weird box text things (for those files with the same name).
Is there a way to fix this? I hope so. :S

Also, unlike all my other animes, TV series, etc., Steins Gate isn't in order of episodes. Is there a way to make it in order (I select Sort Node By Name but it doesn't work.

:S Thanks for helping, in advance.

TypX
Developer
Developer

Re: VLC player won't properly display .ass or change metadat

Postby TypX » 22 Jan 2013 17:58

VLC won't change the metadata but they are not needed to automatically select a file they have to have the same filename not the same "title" which is set inside the file and just displayed. You can also manually play a subtitle file using Video->Subtitle->Open file when playing the file or using advanced open.

For the second problem you can try to change the default encoding and/or hope they don't try to display character for which you don't have a font. Typically japanese characters in karaoke.

Return to “VLC media player for macOS Troubleshooting”