Mozilla VLC plugin and associations

macOS specific usage questions
grav
New Cone
New Cone

Mozilla VLC plugin and associations

Postby grav » 28 Dec 2006 22:31

How do I associate the VLC plugin with more formats/mime types in Firefox?
Right now, everything is associated with with either Quick Time or Windows Media Player, according to about:plugins

GogDog
New Cone
New Cone

Postby GogDog » 06 Jan 2007 19:16

I have the same question. I have searched for this for days now, but cannot find any answers.

M-Rick
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby M-Rick » 07 Jan 2007 00:28

Why it works only with Firefox ?
Why not one to be used with any browsers ?

GogDog
New Cone
New Cone

Postby GogDog » 07 Jan 2007 01:35

I'm on a Mac, and I want to be able to play avi's in the browser without having to download them. I know that there is a plugin for VLC, but I cannot find any details on how to install it.

pjwhite
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

me too

Postby pjwhite » 18 Jan 2007 17:36

I also have the problem of being able to install the plug-in but having no option to 'enable' it. so everything still is played or tried to be played with Quicktime including avi's and such. I have searched, but can't find anything that will allow me to choose a plug-in or anything...

Anyhelp?

PictureThis
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby PictureThis » 03 Feb 2007 22:08

Is there actually a separate browser plugin for the OS X version? And if so, why is there so little information on how to install/work the darn thing? In my about:plugins page there is no sign of VLC. :(

I'm stuck with QuickTime and Flip4Mac :cry:

VLC will gladly play any file locally but it's the embedded web-content that's so hard to steer through the VLC channels. I know the standalone VLC player can play URL-streams because I tested several of them.
Anyone with more insight?

harry63
New Cone
New Cone

Same Question

Postby harry63 » 09 Feb 2007 14:34

I too have been looking all over the site and forums trying to get an answer but can't find one.

harry63
New Cone
New Cone

Any solutions yet?!?

Postby harry63 » 20 Feb 2007 07:16

There are over 1400 views and yet no one has any sort of solution. Are we missing something obvious?

nivix
New Cone
New Cone

Postby nivix » 20 Feb 2007 08:13

The plugin for PPC is available from the Mac OS X download page. As far as I can tell from looking at the source code, the only supported MIME types in the VLC 0.8.6 release is application/ogg, application/x-ogg, application/x-vlc-plugin (?) and video/x-google-vlc-plugin.

I don't know if the 0.9.0 version of the plugin is packaged and available for download (or even working), but it seems to include support for many more MIME types. I built the plugin with latest source from trunk on my Macbook, unfortunately with no luck. Both Safari and Firefox 2 crashes every time I try to view any site with embedded video.

Only the developers know the current status of the plugin code. :)

eccles42
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby eccles42 » 20 Feb 2007 18:19

Hi,

Thanks for the info.

Is there any chance of a generic how to for installing the plugins for mac?

I've got an intel and can't seem to get the plugins working.

I've installed the PPC plugin version and the main intel version and everything I can think of.

It seems lots of people can't get the plugins working, yet everything claims it's supported.

Please?

Cheers

Eccles

mountainbiker
New Cone
New Cone

Postby mountainbiker » 16 Mar 2007 00:14

* BUMP *

Yeah, any help in using VLC to play various video formats in Firefox 2.0 (Mozilla)? Like Eccles, I'd like to get the VLC plugin to work beyond the OGG format. If this cannot be done, then open it automatically in the VLC app. (I think I have the later; however, it always downloads the video to my desktop first. When closing the VLC app, I must always go play clean up and delete any video files not wanted. Maybe I could have VLC download to another folder or even the trash can???!)

nivix
New Cone
New Cone

Postby nivix » 21 Mar 2007 12:57

The definitions for other MIME types / file formats are not included in version 0.8.6a of the plugin. One workaround is to download the source from trunk (0.9.0), build the plugin, and replace the definition file /Library/Internet Plug-Ins/VLC Plugin.plugin/Contents/Resources/VLC Plugin.rsrc with the one you have built.

It works fine with both Safari and Firefox with all media types supported by VLC. Take a look at http://wiki.videolan.org/OSXCompile for instructions on how to compile VLC with the browser plugin. Understandably, the developers don't want svn-compiles released in the wild, so if you are unable to compile the player, you'll have to wait for an updated official build of the plugin.

FearlessSpiff
New Cone
New Cone

Postby FearlessSpiff » 30 Mar 2007 08:09

Could you please post the file?!?

Thanks!

Return to “VLC media player for macOS Troubleshooting”