The big VLC for Mac OS X Intel and UB thread

macOS specific usage questions
wesley
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby wesley » 03 Aug 2006 02:34

I think that's usually called 'tearing', which can happen when the renderer can't keep up with screen refresh.

Postby Guest » 08 Aug 2006 14:41

I been trying to view an Xvid video with AC3 on my Intel Mac mini.

With VLC 0.8.5, I get the green triangle. I tried downloading one of the nightly builds (trunk-intel-20060802-0217 to be exact) and it crashed about 5 seconds after opening the file.
The audio stream played ok, but I couldn't see any video. I have pasted the output of VLC -vvv in the pastebin linked below. Hopefully this will be of some help.

http://pastebin.ca/122082 - trunk-intel-20060802-0217 output
http://pastebin.ca/122089 - v0.8.5 output

Anonymous111

Real Time streaming

Postby Anonymous111 » 10 Aug 2006 01:33

Is there any program that allows you to watch a .ts stream without recording the full stream to your hard disk?

If not, is there any program that replaces iRecord and allows for at least playback through the application itself?

Thanks!

The DJ
Cone Master
Cone Master
VLC version: git
Operating System: Mac OS X

Postby The DJ » 10 Aug 2006 15:35

I been trying to view an Xvid video with AC3 on my Intel Mac mini.

With VLC 0.8.5, I get the green triangle. I tried downloading one of the nightly builds (trunk-intel-20060802-0217 to be exact) and it crashed about 5 seconds after opening the file.
The audio stream played ok, but I couldn't see any video. I have pasted the output of VLC -vvv in the pastebin linked below. Hopefully this will be of some help.

http://pastebin.ca/122082 - trunk-intel-20060802-0217 output
http://pastebin.ca/122089 - v0.8.5 output
I will probably get more direct access to an Intel machine in the near future. If the issue is still present, I will hunt it as if my life depended on it :D
Don't use PMs for support questions.

dm

Extended controls Video Image adjustment Enable looses image

Postby dm » 10 Aug 2006 23:28

hello. You are probably aware of this but since I haven't seen it mentioned in this thread (went over all the 16 pages but maybe I've missed some post) or other recent mac os X threads, and this one is about issues with VLC/macintel, I'm posting.

I recently got a MacBook (Black, 2.0GHz, 512MB, 80GB 5400rpm, week 19, MacOS X 10.4.6, build 812025)

0.8.5-intel official release: Worked fine with DVDs, but since the 16:9 aspect ratio setting actually was 14:9, I downloaded the following nightly build:

0.8.6 trunk-intel-20060807-0051:

Setting for 16:9 was corrected and love the custom options (thanks developers!) and it could play .flv and .avi files that 0.8.5 could not.

But now when Enable in Extended Controls/Video/Image adjustment is selected, video is lost (image disappears while file keeps playing back with sound only). To recover image playback you have to stop playback, deselect Enable, and restart playback.

This did not happen with 0.8.5 (I normally run video with saturation increased to compensate for the MacBook's reduced gamut LCD colors which are aprox. about 80% of SMPTE "C"/PAL-EBU/HDTV/sRGB).

All other filters in the Extended Control windows seem to work fine.

Next I downloaded the following nightly builds:

0.8.6 trunk-intel-20060809-2135 and
0.8.6 trunk-intel-20060810-0052:

Enabling the Extended Controls/Video/Image adjustment setting still looses video.

Being a little more familiar with how VLC Preferences work by now, in the meantime I realized that I could do a default saturation increase by enabling the Image properties filter (adjust) in the Filters (v2)/Video filter module to get around loosing video when Enable in Extended Controls/Video/Image adjustment is selected.

That worked and I got my nicely saturated images on my LCD. But a side effect of this is:

1- When you pause video, or if you're on a static menu, the image becomes violently saturated after a couple of seconds like if it was radioactive :-P . Saturation goes up like a million percent and black letterbox bars become radium green (I have a screenshot of it too).
2- The Blend, Discard, Mean, and X Deinterlace modes become jerky (as if they were outputting half the frames (12 or 15fps) in the timeline instead of 24/25/30. Kind of like how Silent film looks when projected at true silent speeds).

(Disable, Bob, and Linear deinterlace modes still play smooth).

If you disable the Image properties filter in the Filters (v2)/Video filter module, things go back to normal (all deinterlace modes look fluid as before, and the paused images don't explode in color).

I used an interlaced PAL-video loop (a menu) of Tintin running in the spotlight, and for NTSC, an interlaced It's a Mad Mad Mad Mad World menu and the progressive 30fps version of Oklahoma! (has lots of 30fps dancing) for testing.

Increasing saturation either when selecting Enable in Extended Controls/Video/Image adjustment, or the Image properties adjust filter in the Filters)/Video Filter module on the Preferences does not create these side effects on the 0.8.5-intel official release. (I double checked reinstalling and uninstalling the different versions)

Thanks for getting the Fullscreen to toggle in and out by double-clicking, and having the menu bar show up in Fullscreen. It's great!
(Although now the Controller doesn't show up when the mouse is on the edge of screen. A trade-off? It would be great to be able to have both, if possible (have the controller show up without having to select it from the menu with the mouse). Maybe using the bottom corners?)

I also noticed DVD menu overlay selection graphics don't show up anymore when you hover the mouse around a menu.

I know they are trunk builds, so I'm just reporting :)

One of the reasons I upgraded to Mac OS X is VLC, is so now I can play DVDs with more control and options with VLC :)

Keep up the good work!

thanks

~ dm

The DJ
Cone Master
Cone Master

Postby The DJ » 11 Aug 2006 13:07

the filters are being changed from one format into a newer format. It will take a while before it's all stable again.

jdkullmann
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby jdkullmann » 13 Aug 2006 22:58

the filters are being changed from one format into a newer format. It will take a while before it's all stable again.
i'm sort of a n00b so pardon me, but, could this be why some .avi files i have are not playing right now? i'm using the latest nightly build.

i have been playing .avi's on the machine for months...

Gimli.fr
New Cone
New Cone

Intel builds and Freebox TV

Postby Gimli.fr » 08 Sep 2006 16:28

Here seems to be a better place for the topic I created this morning. So here's a copy/paste of it. If an admin wants to delete the topic, sounds good to me!

While the official 0.8.5 version works perfectly fine (btw, as my first post, I'd like to take the opportunity to thank the developpers of this great project) on my MacBook Pro (Mac OS 10.4.7), none of the recent nightly builds for Intel (up to trunk-intel-20060906-0051.dmg) can play the sound of TV channels recieved from a Freebox HD (TriplePlay modem from the French provider Free). Unfortunately, I'm deeply unaware of this kind of stuff and I can't tell which kind of stream it could be or anything else...
Hope somebody will be able to supplement my post and help developpers to fix that.
Good luck

Noir
New Cone
New Cone

No Sound

Postby Noir » 25 Sep 2006 16:16

I have always installed nightly builds on lots of other MacBooks and MacBook Pro... But for me (mbp 1.1), all of them refuse to give me sound with different avi files... Only 0.8.6 does work.... (I use now the one from the 1. August, later ones got the same problem)
I tested different files, but there is nothing I can find. Bitrate, and Hz could be what they want, with some files it works, with others not...

Not working files give me this...

ffmpeg warning: header missing skiping one byte
(mp2@0x303a410)

notari
New Cone
New Cone

Postby notari » 29 Sep 2006 16:07

main: subpicture heap is full

What to do?

mindblaster
New Cone
New Cone

Postby mindblaster » 04 Oct 2006 02:03

i also have a mbp 15" from the first models with 1.1 Mainboard and was one of the user which had no sound in the nightly of the last few week

i try it again today and the sound is back :)

only in some files its choppy and in one other its not playing at al

the windows version had no problems with the file, and so has the nighty from 24.8.06

the files are XviD0041 and XviD0039 as far as GSpot 2.60 says

if you need some part of the file just drop a line

adrian

A-Train
New Cone
New Cone

New VLC

Postby A-Train » 16 Oct 2006 20:48

I just got a new Intel Mac about a year ago and have been trying to find a player that plays WMV3 files and finally there is one. The one that at least worked for me so far was version 0.8.6. Finally. The only authorized version out right now is 0.8.5 but .6 is still in testing form but works for more files that .5. Just thought I'd spread the news. Peace.

sd
New Cone
New Cone

video device / TV

Postby sd » 21 Oct 2006 00:09

I have post in another topic about problem of "video device" greyed out, so impossible to select TV.
But as it may be specific to Intel version, should I post it there?

Ayla
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Fullscreen video on 2nd monitor not working!

Postby Ayla » 23 Oct 2006 18:48

Hi

I just downloaded the latest nightly build and it seems whatever I do, VLC won't show fullscreen video on the secondary monitor only the default (primary).

This has worked in every nightly build so far.

I'm using VLC build:
branch-intel-20061023-0327.dmg 23-Oct-2006 03:25 21M

PS. The blanking feature (display a black screen on the screen where no video is being shown) doesn't work either, it defaults to the primary screen.
/Martin

mindblaster
New Cone
New Cone

Re: Fullscreen video on 2nd monitor not working!

Postby mindblaster » 23 Oct 2006 22:34

Hi

I just downloaded the latest nightly build and it seems whatever I do, VLC won't show fullscreen video on the secondary monitor only the default (primary).

I'm using VLC build:

PS. The blanking feature (display a black screen on the screen where no video is being shown) doesn't work either, it defaults to the primary screen.
you can move the vlc windows to the 2nd monitor and then use fullscreen, in that way it will work

here the same problem
PLUS i also get crashes with those builds
on first start they work in some cases but on most cases the crash
-when i load vlc via a avi then it works, but not when i start it plain via the dock..

Ayla
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby Ayla » 23 Oct 2006 22:58

Hi

I'm using VLC build:

you can move the vlc windows to the 2nd monitor and then use fullscreen, in that way it will work

here the same problem
PLUS i also get crashes with those builds
on first start they work in some cases but on most cases the crash
-when i load vlc via a avi then it works, but not when i start it plain via the dock..
Thanks for the suggestion, but if I move the video window to the second monitor and go to fullscreen, it goes fullscreen on the primary monitor anyway :(

I hope the developers still are listening in on this thread...
/Martin

Rosa Absatz
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Rosa Absatz » 25 Oct 2006 09:21

Thanks for the suggestion, but if I move the video window to the second monitor and go to fullscreen, it goes fullscreen on the primary monitor anyway :(

I hope the developers still are listening in on this thread...
I haven't had a chance to try this with a nightly snapshot, but with VLC 0.8.5 I found that I had to move *the VLC control window* to the secondary monitor (TV in my case) to get fullscreen on it. Frankly, it's a bit inconvenient because the control is obscured by the fullscreen video being shown. It would be great to be able to have the control on the primary monitor and the fullscreen video on the secondary one or vice versa--if the MacOS X API permits such a thing. I guess that the position of the video window should be detectable indepenently from the position of the control window, and so it could be fullscreened to the screen of its own. However, I'm a desperate lamer when it comes to GUI APIs. :-)

BTW, I'd like to say many thanks to VLC developers! I couldn't imagine formerly that watching MPEG4 movies would be so easy on Mac! Great job, folks!

febef
New Cone
New Cone

Postby febef » 27 Oct 2006 23:41

I just posted a separate topic Nightlies 0.8.6 and 0.9.0 on the general MacOS Forum which I now realize would have been more fitting here, as I am using the Intel versions of VLC. For the administrator to determine whether the discussion should be pursued here or there. Thank you.
iMac Intel Core Duo 1.83GHz
MacOS X 10.4.8
VLC nightlies 0.8.6 and 0.9.0

littlebigmac
New Cone
New Cone

Trunk Intel 30/10

Postby littlebigmac » 30 Oct 2006 15:32

Bonjour!javascript:emoticon(':D')
Superbes ; les modifs apportées à la version 0.9.0-svn!

Cependant, j'ai 1 petite remarque :
Pour l'instant le contrôleur flottant en mode plein écran Bug, lorsque l'on veut le mettre en pause.Enfin je constate que VLC BUG dès que l'on veut mettre en pause!

Voilà j'espère avoir été lu et vous souhaite une bonne continuation ; moi qui vous suis depuis la version 0.1.3 si mes souvenirs sont bons.

boomrcom@wanadoo.fr

:wink:
LittleBigMac
iMac Intel 20' 2Ghz CoreDuo, 1Go RAM
+ iBook G3 12' 800 Mhz, 640 Mo RAM
OS X 4.8

Bugguy
New Cone
New Cone

11/06 nightly build

Postby Bugguy » 10 Nov 2006 01:41

The latest nightly builds have fixed the green triangle problem on my MacBook Pro. A new problem has crept in however. If I try to move the time index ahead by clicking on the time bar in either the controller or the movie window, the player controls become unresponsive. The player continues to play the movie from the new point, but will not respond to any other commands. When a new command is attempted, you get the spinning beach ball. The movie continues to play but you have to force quit to get out of the current selection. Any ideas on this one. Tried deleting the preferences to no avail.
"The day Microsoft makes something that doesn't suck is probably the day they start making vacuum cleaners."
- Ernst Jan Plugge

The DJ
Cone Master
Cone Master

Postby The DJ » 10 Nov 2006 02:34

trunk or branch ?

Trunk is known to be broken (it's in a big development phase, which tends to break stuff). branch should work.

Bugguy
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Bugguy » 11 Nov 2006 05:22

Seems only to be a problem with the trunks. Branch works great. Thanks for the tip.
"The day Microsoft makes something that doesn't suck is probably the day they start making vacuum cleaners."
- Ernst Jan Plugge

RTouris
New Cone
New Cone

Postby RTouris » 16 Nov 2006 10:22

What would be a general timeframe for the 0.8.6 release? As things stand i realize that the trunk is intended to include all the improvements for the 0.9 codebase with an open feature-set yet, whereas the branch is focused solely on a closed feature-set for the 0.8.6. Correct me if i'm wrong. However since the branches are more stable yet in development for a long time now I'd make an educated guess that we're near release? On the contrary work is ongoing and shall remain as such for the trunk side of things...right?

The DJ
Cone Master
Cone Master

Postby The DJ » 16 Nov 2006 21:06

2 weeks

vazydonc
New Cone
New Cone

multiregion... again ?

Postby vazydonc » 17 Nov 2006 17:32

Hi. I suppose this topic has been discussed, but I could not find it in the forums : Though according to many posts on the net, Vlc 0.85 UB doesn't seem able to read DVDs from other regions than the one set on my macbook w/ OS X 10.4.8, and the famous DVD R matshita UJ 857.

Same with the very same macbook on windows XP with vlc or power DVD + dvdidle pro. I suppose it's the DVD player firmware that is blocking, even the copied DVDs.

Any similar problem around ? And if so, any means to bypass / correct the issue ?

Cheers

Return to “VLC media player for macOS Troubleshooting”