VLC 0.8.4 ON MAC +DOLBY DIGITAL

macOS specific usage questions
darkmegalomania

VLC 0.8.4 ON MAC +DOLBY DIGITAL

Postby darkmegalomania » 10 Apr 2006 15:54

hI EVERYONE
I have a small problem when I read a DVD file (Video TS ) or AVI file using the Dolby Digital (AC3) or DTS on my Home cinema Setup

Everytime I use the AC3 the sound of the Voices are different and they sound slower than the original one
Curiously when I burn the files and Play it in my dvd Player the problem disappear...

I thought it was coming from my Home cinema but no neither my receiver ( Harman Kardon AVR 7300) nor my speakers BW serie 800 seems to be the source of t-he problem
I tried several older versions of VLC and it did not do anything ....
Has anybody encounter this ?
Thanks for your replies in adcance .... :lol:
Ben

gusax
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Volume is lower, 0.8.4a has a bug that causes bad audio

Postby gusax » 22 Apr 2006 22:19

If you are using 0.8.4a then download a newer nightly build instead. Version 0.8.4a was compiled in a way that somehow causes bad audio if you use the digital output. It was an old bug that came back and was fixed almost immedeately after 0.8.4a. It might explain the fact that your voices sound different, I know some (mostly male) voices sounded different for me too when I used 0.8.4a with the digital output.
So switch to a nightly build!

The volume is lower via the digital output in the Apple DVD Player too so thats not VLCs fault. I keep my volume slider for normal audio in VLC at about 75% (it goes to 200% if I'm not mistaken). 75% normal volume seems to be the same as the digital output volume. That way you don't go deaf when you open a new movie that does not use the digital audio ;-)

Return to “VLC media player for macOS Troubleshooting”