Error Messages

macOS specific usage questions

Error Messages

Postby Guest » 31 Mar 2006 22:54

Hi, I have a Macbook Pro and just installed the newest VLC player. My problem is not getting videos to play, but how I get them to play. I set VLC as my default player for my videos...but double clicking on a video file will just open VLC with a bunch of errors (sometimes even freezes my computer up). On the other hand, dragging the video file onto the VLC icon opens and plays the file just fine. Why is that?

Postby Guest » 31 Mar 2006 22:59

Oh, and also....Is it normal that I am not able to skip around in a video that is playing in VLC? I used to do that on my PC in both VLC and Windows Media Player, just click anywhere on the "time bar" and the video would jump to that spot in the movie. Now when I try to do that, the video freezes and I have to start it over again.

SpacePirate
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby SpacePirate » 01 Apr 2006 02:31

It works fine for me (MBPro 1.83). Did you do a Migration Assistant from a previous version of OSX? If so, you may have copied over older VLC preference files. Run the preference deleter, and see if that helps.

Postby Guest » 01 Apr 2006 02:46

No, it was a brand new install. As for skipping around in a video by clicking on different areas of the "time bar", it works fine with avi's, but it freezes up with other formats such as wmv and mpg's. Is that normal?

fkuehne
Developer
Developer
VLC version: 0.4.6 - present
Operating System: Darwin

Postby fkuehne » 01 Apr 2006 13:45

Do you use the Intel-version of VLC or the old PPC-release. If you still use the latter, download the latest nightly build and remove the preferences as already pointed out.
VideoLAN
Felix Paul Kühne
Medic. VLC developer for appleOS since before you were born.
Blog: https://www.feepk.net

Janonymous

Postby Janonymous » 12 Apr 2006 20:38

I have a similar problem.
I have a brand new Mac mini Core Duo with VLC 0.8.5-test2 installed.
Opening a wmv-file I have results in

Code: Select all

main error: no suitable decoder module for fourcc `WMV3'. VLC probably does not support this sound or video format.
Sound plays afterwards, but no video.

fkuehne
Developer
Developer
VLC version: 0.4.6 - present
Operating System: Darwin

Postby fkuehne » 13 Apr 2006 12:43

@Janonymous: that's a different and known problem. Please search the forum for WMV3 to get more information about it.
VideoLAN
Felix Paul Kühne
Medic. VLC developer for appleOS since before you were born.
Blog: https://www.feepk.net

Return to “VLC media player for macOS Troubleshooting”