macOS specific usage questions
ajmas
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna
VLC version: 3.0.x
Operating System: MacOS X

Video with external subtitle file fails to play

Postby ajmas » 19 Dec 2022 21:26

I am running into an issue that appears to impact both VLC on the Apple TV and VLC on macOS, whereby if a given subtitle file is present the video will fail to play.

Other notes:

- Video is of type .ts, using H264 video code and ADTS audio codec
- Removing the subtitle file results in the video play.
- The file is in vtt format and seems to convert without error to srt format
- Using the srt format in its place does not seem to make a difference

Looking at the messages window, for the VTT:

Code: Select all

main debug: VLC media player - 3.0.18 Vetinari main debug: Copyright © 1996-2022 the VideoLAN team main debug: revision 3.0.18-0-ge9eceaed4d main debug: configured with /Users/d-fu/vlc-3.0/extras/package/macosx/../../../configure '--prefix=/Users/d-fu/vlc-3.0/build/vlc_install_dir' '--enable-macosx' '--enable-merge-ffmpeg' '--enable-osx-notifications' '--enable-faad' '--enable-flac' '--enable-theora' '--enable-shout' '--enable-ncurses' '--enable-twolame' '--enable-realrtsp' '--enable-libass' '--enable-macosx-avfoundation' '--disable-skins2' '--disable-xcb' '--disable-caca' '--disable-pulse' '--disable-sdl-image' '--disable-vnc' '--build=x86_64-apple-darwin17' '--host=x86_64-apple-darwin17' '--with-macosx-version-min=10.7' '--with-macosx-sdk=/Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/Platforms/MacOSX.platform/Developer/SDKs/MacOSX.sdk' '--with-breakpad=https://mac.crashes.videolan.org' 'build_alias=x86_64-apple-darwin17' 'host_alias=x86_64-apple-darwin17' 'CC=/Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/Toolchains/XcodeDefault.xctoolchain/usr/bin/clang' 'CFLAGS=-g -arch x86_64' 'LDFLAGS=-arch x86_64' 'CXX=/Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/Toolchains/XcodeDefault.xctoolchain/usr/bin/clang++' 'CXXFLAGS=-g -arch x86_64' 'OBJC=/Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/Toolchains/XcodeDefault.xctoolchain/usr/bin/clang' 'OBJCFLAGS=-g -arch x86_64' macosx debug: Playback has been ended macosx debug: Releasing IOKit system sleep blocker (37344) main warning: no vout found, dropping subpicture main warning: can't get output subpicture main debug: killing decoder fourcc `wvtt' main debug: removing module "webvtt" main debug: removing module "webvtt" main debug: removing module "record" main debug: removing module "cache_read" main debug: removing module "filesystem" main debug: removing module "ts" main debug: Program doesn't contain anymore ES main debug: removing module "record" main debug: removing module "cache_read" main debug: removing module "filesystem" main debug: Program doesn't contain anymore ES main debug: dead input main debug: changing item without a request (current 0/1) main debug: nothing to play

Looking at the messages window, for the SRT:

main debug: VLC media player - 3.0.18 Vetinari main debug: Copyright © 1996-2022 the VideoLAN team main debug: revision 3.0.18-0-ge9eceaed4d main debug: configured with /Users/d-fu/vlc-3.0/extras/package/macosx/../../../configure '--prefix=/Users/d-fu/vlc-3.0/build/vlc_install_dir' '--enable-macosx' '--enable-merge-ffmpeg' '--enable-osx-notifications' '--enable-faad' '--enable-flac' '--enable-theora' '--enable-shout' '--enable-ncurses' '--enable-twolame' '--enable-realrtsp' '--enable-libass' '--enable-macosx-avfoundation' '--disable-skins2' '--disable-xcb' '--disable-caca' '--disable-pulse' '--disable-sdl-image' '--disable-vnc' '--build=x86_64-apple-darwin17' '--host=x86_64-apple-darwin17' '--with-macosx-version-min=10.7' '--with-macosx-sdk=/Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/Platforms/MacOSX.platform/Developer/SDKs/MacOSX.sdk' '--with-breakpad=https://mac.crashes.videolan.org' 'build_alias=x86_64-apple-darwin17' 'host_alias=x86_64-apple-darwin17' 'CC=/Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/Toolchains/XcodeDefault.xctoolchain/usr/bin/clang' 'CFLAGS=-g -arch x86_64' 'LDFLAGS=-arch x86_64' 'CXX=/Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/Toolchains/XcodeDefault.xctoolchain/usr/bin/clang++' 'CXXFLAGS=-g -arch x86_64' 'OBJC=/Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/Toolchains/XcodeDefault.xctoolchain/usr/bin/clang' 'OBJCFLAGS=-g -arch x86_64' main warning: no vout found, dropping subpicture main warning: can't get output subpicture main debug: killing decoder fourcc `subt' main debug: removing module "subsdec" main debug: removing module "subtitle" main debug: removing module "record" main debug: removing module "cache_read" main debug: removing module "filesystem" main debug: removing module "ts" main debug: Program doesn't contain anymore ES main debug: removing module "record" main debug: removing module "cache_read" main debug: removing module "filesystem" main debug: Program doesn't contain anymore ES main debug: dead input main debug: changing item without a request (current 0/1) main debug: nothing to play
This is running on an Intel based 2019 16" MacBook Pro, with macOS 13.0.1

Any suggestions for further analysis of the issue?

For any devs: I can provide the video and subtitle files

ajmas
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna

Re: Video with external subtitle file fails to play

Postby ajmas » 19 Dec 2022 21:55

I just found that converting the .ts to .mp4, using Handbrake seems to have resolved the issue. I

I also tried simply repackaging with ffmpeg, using a script I previously wrote, and the result also works:

#!/bin/sh filename=$1 src="${filename}" dst="${filename%.ts}.mp4" echo ffmpeg -i "${src}" -map 0 -c copy "${dst}" ffmpeg -err_detect ignore_err -copy_unknown -i "${src}" -map 0:0 -map 0:1 -c copy "${dst}"

I am curious as to whether failing to play when using the .ts container is considered a bug or expected behaviour?
Providing logs, messages, configuration info (VLC, OS, Hardware) and a clear explanation of the issue always helps the problem solvers help you, even if they don't end up solving the issue. Just think what you would need if you were solving someone else's problem. Additional: Always looking for eager and capable MacOS X developers to join the VLC team - for more information see here.

Lotesdelere
Cone Master
Cone Master

Postby Lotesdelere » 20 Dec 2022 10:41

I am curious as to whether failing to play when using the .ts container is considered a bug or expected behaviour?

It's a known VLC limitation:
https://forum.videolan.org/viewtopic.ph ... 30#p321530
https://forum.videolan.org/viewtopic.ph ... 81#p528781
https://forum.videolan.org/viewtopic.ph ... 93#p530493

ajmas
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna

Postby ajmas » 20 Dec 2022 15:01

Thanks.

Would it better behaviour for VLC simply to disable subtitle files in this scenario, rather than not play? I’ll discuss with the devs and see.

Either way, the conversion did help.
Providing logs, messages, configuration info (VLC, OS, Hardware) and a clear explanation of the issue always helps the problem solvers help you, even if they don't end up solving the issue. Just think what you would need if you were solving someone else's problem. Additional: Always looking for eager and capable MacOS X developers to join the VLC team - for more information see here.

fkuehne
Developer
Developer
VLC version: 0.4.6 - present
Operating System: Darwin

Postby fkuehne » 24 Dec 2022 08:19

This is very hard to fix. We might have a solution for this in VLC 4, but I'm not sure.
VideoLAN
Felix Paul Kühne
Medic. VLC developer for appleOS since before you were born.
Blog: https://www.feepk.net

Return to “VLC media player for macOS Troubleshooting”