VLC will NOT OPEN at all on my system

macOS specific usage questions
ruggerd
New Cone
New Cone

VLC will NOT OPEN at all on my system

Postby ruggerd » 05 Jul 2022 16:23

I have installed VLC. According to apple I installed the correct version for my computer. It installs and when I click on a movie the VLC icon bounces and disappears. I cannot use it at all. I cannot use right click to open with VLC. I cannot double click movies that show the VLC format. VLC essentially will NOT work on my computer. Apple M1 Pro. I'm very frustrated and love VLC but I think it's going to be time to look for something else because I've spent too much time on this already. Any suggestions?

dfuhrmann
Developer
Developer

Re: VLC will NOT OPEN at all on my system

Postby dfuhrmann » 06 Jul 2022 22:12

I would try to completely uninstall VLC, and reinstall using this download for apple silicon: https://get.videolan.org/vlc/3.0.17.3/m ... -arm64.dmg

ruggerd
New Cone
New Cone

Postby ruggerd » 07 Aug 2022 17:03

No version of VLC that I have installed will work. Not one. This is very frustrating that nobody seems to have anything to offer and the only troubleshooting I can find requires experience writing code or as a programmer. I'm going to have to say that VLC is not compatible with newer Mac models.

If so, run the "Remove Preferences" script provided on VLC's disk-image or delete both a folder called "VLC" and a file called org.videolan.vlc.plist in ~/Library/Preferences (your personal preferences folder).

I have no idea where this script is? so that is essentially not helpful. I don't know where or what the VLC disk image is. There is no file I can locate or being to be able to locate called org.videloan.... and I have absolutely no idea where to find~/Library/Preferences (your personal preferences folder). So nothing on the website is of any help whatsoever.

I'm going to have to give up on VLC. It was always my go to but this is aggravating beyond words that there is not one version out there that will work on my computer. Not one. And nobody seems to have anything to offer that is helpful in resolving this.

VLC cannot run on a MAC system with Monterey 12.1 with M1 Chip. Very disappointing.

ShoeboxJoe13
New Cone
New Cone

Postby ShoeboxJoe13 » 09 Mar 2023 12:12

Rugged,

I too had the same issue and after months of frustration, I got it to work.

1. uninstall any version you have, and use the link for version 3.0.17 in the reply from your original post have it downloaded but not installed yet. You have to copy the path below and follow my instructions.
2. copy path.

~/Library/Preferences/org.videolan.vlc.plist

3. right-click.
4. scroll to services at the bottom.
5. go to show in finder.
6. it takes you straight to it.
7. delete the file that has org.videolan.vlc.plist i had 2 files deleted both
8. install the dmg file and bam it’s working.

Good luck man I hope it works for you. Please reply and let me know.

Return to “VLC media player for macOS Troubleshooting”