New to MacOS, struggling to use VLC

macOS specific usage questions
Shaidyn
New Cone
New Cone

New to MacOS, struggling to use VLC

Postby Shaidyn » 31 Mar 2021 18:29

Hi, folks. I have to use a mac for work and recently had to use VLC for some of my tasks, and I'm having a hard time with things.

TL;DR: How do I see the total time of a video (not remaining time, just its total runtime), and how do I stop videos from auto-closing when they finish?

If I open a video it starts autoplaying. That's great. At the bottom of the screen is a slider that displays how long the video has been playing for. But, the little circle that indicates where in the video play we are is always stuck on the far right. So I can't see how long the video is or how far along in it I am. I also can't 'skip' around the video. If I click the slider it just takes me back to the start.

If I click the "time" to the right of the video, left or right click, nothing happens. If I double click it lets me choose a time to skip to, but since I don't know how long the video is I'm shooting in the dark.

If I enter in a time that's too long, the video closes automatically.

Also, if the video reaches the end of it's play, it closes.

mknox
New Cone
New Cone

Re: New to MacOS, struggling to use VLC

Postby mknox » 02 Apr 2021 07:21

You could click on the Show/Hide Playlist button where there's a column displaying the video's duration.

riquez
New Cone
New Cone

Postby riquez » 10 Apr 2021 03:03

Hi Shaidyn,
I think you've found a couple of bugs & oversights, some of which I have noticed too.

Total time (duration) seems to be an oversight in the app as you think it would be an obvious thing to include in the "Media Info.." window in VLC. As mentioned by
mknox you can see it in the playlist.

The circle (play head) should NOT be stuck on the right. I've never seen that. You should be able to drag it around as you expect. Try another file type or re-start the app/computer to see what happens - that's not normal. Re-install VLC perhaps.

Clicking the time on the right to see played/remaining time should work, but I've found it buggy sometimes. I could never get that to work until recently - I did the double-click & jumped to a time. After that the click thing started working.

As for the video closing at the end. I think that's just how the app works. Perhaps there is a preference for that, but I don't know.

kiltro
New Cone
New Cone

Postby kiltro » 13 Apr 2021 18:23

Where I can see the total duration of a playlist?

kiltro
New Cone
New Cone

Postby kiltro » 29 Apr 2021 10:47

None?

e97
New Cone
New Cone

Postby e97 » 20 Sep 2022 04:01

Was there a solution for this?

On Win it appears after Playlist on the left side pane. There is also a VLC Extension but not sure if it work on Mac..

edit: ah it actually appears just below the title bar at the top of the playlist window: https://ibb.co/MkJW0rB

Return to “VLC media player for macOS Troubleshooting”