DVD to MP4 issues, Please help this noob

macOS specific usage questions
SenorPeaches
New Cone
New Cone

DVD to MP4 issues, Please help this noob

Postby SenorPeaches » 25 Jan 2021 03:39

Greetings, please be kind.. at a complete loss despite now hours of efforts and strictly following the easy directions and having had success previously with converting personal DVD videos to MP4 using VLC. To be clear: this is a DVD created in the iDVD program and I want to convert to MP4 to be loaded onto a flash drive to share with a friend.

FYI, The DVD (created in iDVD) has a static menu with audio bed before the 10 min. video begins. In following the VLC ==> MP4 directions, have disabled menus/specified MP4, adjusted transcoding options... only to have the end results of only the first 4 seconds from the intro with NO audio being encoded. When the DVD is loaded before beginning re-encode, VLC does correctly read the length of it (almost 16 minutes).. Yet, it seems only to be dealing with the first few seconds.

Please, can anyone help with suggestions as to what I might be missing? I have converted DVD to MP4 with no issue in the past using VLC but have not attempted to do so with a DVD that was created with the intro menu and can't help thinking THIS may be preventing VLC from correctly handling? Is there a workaround that does not involve going into the Terminal?

Thank you

dfuhrmann
Developer
Developer

Re: DVD to MP4 issues, Please help this noob

Postby dfuhrmann » 26 Jan 2021 11:38

We usually recommend Handbrake, which is a better tool to convert DVDs, than VLC. It is built using the same technologies, but it has a more easy interface to use, and is dedicately purposed for this task.

SenorPeaches
New Cone
New Cone

Re: DVD to MP4 issues, Please help this noob (RESOLVED)

Postby SenorPeaches » 30 Jan 2021 07:47

Thank you... Duly noted and I will investigate Handbrake...

Return to “VLC media player for macOS Troubleshooting”