VLC Generic Icons On Catalina

macOS specific usage questions
slix
New Cone
New Cone

VLC Generic Icons On Catalina

Postby slix » 04 Dec 2020 12:04

Hi all,
Running VLC 3.0.11.1, & have recently updated from Mojave to Catalina 10.15.7.
Now have found that all file types associated with VLC are using the generic VLC icon, instead of the specific file icons with the sprocket dots on the edge & file type eg.. mkv, flv on the icon.
I've tried rebuilding OSX launch services & deleting icon cache file, but to no avail. Tried rolling back VLC versions as well.
Any fix on this side by chance, or is this an apple issue?
This seems to have happened to any app that has specific icons for various associated file types as well.
Any help appreciated.
Cheers

slix
New Cone
New Cone

Re: VLC Generic Icons On Catalina

Postby slix » 06 Dec 2020 04:50

Hi all,
Further research has me believing this has been an apple issue within Catalina which they never bothered fixing until "Big Sur" which I don't plan on upgrading to for some time, so Ill guess ill have to live with it.
There is supposedly a possible fix here:
https://github.com/aonez/Keka/issues/453
But given its modifying system files, which is a pain on Catalina & above, I wont try it unless I'm desperate. If anybody has success with this fix Let me know.

Cheers.

ajmas
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna
VLC version: 3.0.x
Operating System: MacOS X

Re: VLC Generic Icons On Catalina

Postby ajmas » 08 Dec 2020 05:45

See if anything here helps:

https://gist.github.com/fabiofl/5873100
Providing logs, messages, configuration info (VLC, OS, Hardware) and a clear explanation of the issue always helps the problem solvers help you, even if they don't end up solving the issue. Just think what you would need if you were solving someone else's problem. Additional: Always looking for eager and capable MacOS X developers to join the VLC team - for more information see here.

Return to “VLC media player for macOS Troubleshooting”