What Happened to VLC?

macOS specific usage questions
aitte
Cone that earned his stripes
Cone that earned his stripes

What Happened to VLC?

Postby aitte » 23 Jul 2019 18:20

I am a VLC user for... oh boy ages of "decades". To me it was always the very best, lighter, compatible and useful media player. Keep in mind I also am not a update maniac, I just update in the face of a public exploit, considerable features improvement, etc. Usually once or twice a year.

In my last update, which I did because of the (https://www.cert-bund.de/advisoryshort/CB-K19-0634) vuln was a downer And apparently it is still going on!. The app that use to be fast, virtually "crashless", fast it is now buggy as hell, not to mention the vuls . Freezes all the time when loading from a network share, freezes to resume playing, the ui update was a disaster (to me) as overlays MUST be black, brown is ugly, and brown with less opacity is even uglier. A disaster!

It is time for a new player! Maybe one day when things get better I'll come back and resume my usage of VLC. For now VLC is gonner.

unidan
Developer
Developer

Re: What Happened to VLC?

Postby unidan » 23 Jul 2019 22:54

Hi
In my last update, which I did because of the (https://www.cert-bund.de/advisoryshort/CB-K19-0634) vuln was a downer And apparently it is still going on!.
There is no vulnerability, cf the ticket that they mention themselves.
The app that use to be fast, virtually "crashless", fast it is now buggy as hell, not to mention the vuls . Freezes all the time when loading from a network share, freezes to resume playing, the ui update was a disaster (to me) as overlays MUST be black, brown is ugly, and brown with less opacity is even uglier. A disaster!
Can you show a screenshot ? Which UI update ? what version did you have ? Don't you have downloaded the development version (which is pretty unfinished and unstable currently) ?

Return to “VLC media player for macOS Troubleshooting”