vlc jumps forward when mouse is hovering over video window

macOS specific usage questions
harisla
New Cone
New Cone

vlc jumps forward when mouse is hovering over video window

Postby harisla » 18 Jan 2016 20:22

I am using VLC Version 2.2.1 for mac OS X El Capitan v10.11.2 and today it suddenly started jumping forward every time i placed the mouse cursor over the video window.
When i point the cursor away, the playback returns to normal. It does the same thing even in pause mode.
As you have guessed, its quite impossible to watch any video in fullscreen mode, unless i'm using a second screen where i can point the cursor without interfering with the player.
I tried reseting all preferences and uninstalling - reinstalling but nothing is changed.
Any ideas?
Thanx in advance...

ajitsingh86
New Cone
New Cone

Re: vlc jumps forward when mouse is hovering over video window

Postby ajitsingh86 » 06 Feb 2016 01:50

Heyy guys,
Even I am experiencing the same but for me Video playbacks backwards irrespective of mouse hovering.
It is happening automatically and dont know what causes this issue and how to stop it.
Kindly look into this and send us an update.
I am facing this problem from month of December 2015.

powellbob424
New Cone
New Cone

Postby powellbob424 » 02 Mar 2016 20:09

I've been having the same problem, when the mouse is over the video window the playback reverses, for Who knows how many years. Over time, I've updated my iMac from 10.6.x and VLC 2.?.?., to 10.11.3 and 2.2.2 over the weekend. This behavior has been present over every combination, I've wasted countless hours with Google looking for an answer, and blah, blah, blah.....

You get the idea.

The solution: Change the mouse!!!

Ì couldn't believe when I unplugged the Logitech mouse I was using (M-UAG120), and plugged in a different Logitech mouse and VLC worked perfectly. Just for fun, I plugged in the offending mouse into a different Mac and sure enough backwards playback behavior returned.

Unbelievable, but true. So, buy a new mouse.

My speculation is the mouse was returning on odd voltage in the USB signal to the iMac that VLC interpreted as scrolling forward or backwards. The voltage was low enough that most other apps ignore, or didn't need.

ajmas
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna
VLC version: 3.0.x
Operating System: MacOS X

Postby ajmas » 03 Mar 2016 04:05

Just curious, but do you have any apps that customise the mouse or trackpad behaviour? I am thinking something akin to MagicPrefs.
Providing logs, messages, configuration info (VLC, OS, Hardware) and a clear explanation of the issue always helps the problem solvers help you, even if they don't end up solving the issue. Just think what you would need if you were solving someone else's problem. Additional: Always looking for eager and capable MacOS X developers to join the VLC team - for more information see here.

mychaelus
New Cone
New Cone

Postby mychaelus » 27 Jun 2019 07:22

I had the same problem, and it was due to the mouse, as powellbob424 discovered. I tried everything else, even reinstallation of VLC, but the problem was fixed by unplugging and replugging the mouse receiver. I tried removing batteries from the mouse, but that didn't work, so the problem must have some software basis, but in Mac OS, not VLC.

Return to “VLC media player for macOS Troubleshooting”