Can Xcode 2.1 be used to compile VLC?

macOS specific usage questions
Powerbook150

Can Xcode 2.1 be used to compile VLC?

Postby Powerbook150 » 23 Oct 2005 07:50

It is explained how to compile VLC in the Terminal, but what if I wish to use Xcode? [As in, if I wanted to compile into Universal Binaries for a future Intel mac?]

fkuehne
Developer
Developer
VLC version: 0.4.6 - present
Operating System: Darwin

Re: Can Xcode 2.1 be used to compile VLC?

Postby fkuehne » 23 Oct 2005 17:45

VLC isn't a usual OSX-binary (neither concerning the compilation way nor the way the app is run). You can only compile it through the terminal using AutoConf/AutoMake. This process will make use of Xcode though, but only at one specific point (as a bundle-creation utility). Anyway, you can edit the OSX-specific files like nibs, *.m, *.h in Xcode. There is a project-file inside extras/MacOSX.

VLC can't be compiled as Universal Binary at the moment and we don't plan to add this. VLC is already 30 MB large and a universal binary would double that size. We don't want to do that, because some of our users are still using really slow internet connections.
Additionally, VLC makes use of about 30 third-party-libraries, which would all need to be ported, which is a huge amout of work.
The current decision is to provide 2 binaries, one for PPC and one for x86. We have already heard of successful compilations of the current OSX-VLC for Intel without any code changes, so this will be the easiest way to go.
VideoLAN
Felix Paul Kühne
Medic. VLC developer for appleOS since before you were born.
Blog: https://www.feepk.net

Postby Guest » 11 Jan 2006 12:41

Okay, I just ordered an iNtel iMac. It should be here in about a week. Where can I get the iNtel-compiled OSX Version of VLC?

Thanks!

-Todd

haifischjunge
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby haifischjunge » 11 Jan 2006 15:31

not the newest one, however better than nothing

fkuehne
Developer
Developer
VLC version: 0.4.6 - present
Operating System: Darwin

Postby fkuehne » 11 Jan 2006 15:40

We should publish an official intel-only variant of VLC really soon now. We've received our intel-Mac yesterday and the work shouldn't be too difficult.

Anyway, the development of a so-called universal binary is a bit harder and will hopefully be completed within the next release.
VideoLAN
Felix Paul Kühne
Medic. VLC developer for appleOS since before you were born.
Blog: https://www.feepk.net

Postby Guest » 11 Jan 2006 18:55

Awesome! Thanks to both of you for your response!

-Todd

mathewlu

Postby mathewlu » 19 Jan 2006 23:54

I tried the build posted above in my Intel iMac and while the application launched it rendered my (xvid) video a whole bunch of weird colors (the audio seemed fine). I'm really looking forward to this release as I'm presently without a way to play xvid files. Thanks for working on this and I'd be happy to help test anything that needs beta-ing.

Thanks,
--Mathew

Return to “VLC media player for macOS Troubleshooting”