Unable to insert region 2 disc without iDVD initiating

macOS specific usage questions
JeniG

Unable to insert region 2 disc without iDVD initiating

Postby JeniG » 23 Dec 2005 19:18

Hello. When I try to insert a region 2 DVD to play on my VLC software iDVD opens by default and when I choose not to change the region coding from 1 to 2, my disk will eject.

I have changed the preferences on iDVD to indicate that discs should not play automatically on insertion and iDVD should not default to full screen.

Do you have any suggestions as to how I can get my region 2 discs to stay in the drive long enough to open them using VLC without changing the region coding on my laptop.

I have a PowerBook G4. Thanks for your help.

xiaodidi
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

System Preferences

Postby xiaodidi » 23 Dec 2005 22:45

Go to

System Preferences -> [Hardware] -> CDs & DVDs

and set

When you insert a video DVD : Ignore

instead of DVD Player. Or, set it to "Open VLC".

JeniG

Postby JeniG » 25 Dec 2005 22:18

Thank you so much. It is now recognising my region 2 DVDs and I am no longer having the problem of it jumping to iDVD. Unfortunately now when I go ahead and play them nothing happens. The disc name appears on the play list. When I select play it briefly appears in the Controller window but no image or sound appears. It then switches to saying VLC media player in the Controller window. Further assistance would be much appreciated.
Merry Xmas!

anthonyfca

region issue - 1 plays, 2 flashes and stops

Postby anthonyfca » 29 Dec 2005 22:29

hi. new mac mini, dvd set to region 1, I am in UK now and want play region 2. Region 1 plays via VLC, region 2 does not, instead it flashes up the name of the DVD and then quits back to the menu with no error messages, is VLC still regionless I wonder?

Anthony

simon
Cone that earned his stripes
Cone that earned his stripes

Postby simon » 29 Dec 2005 22:34

VLC is regionless but your DVD-reader isn't

JeniG

Postby JeniG » 02 Jan 2006 18:24

So is there any way to get round this?
THanks

fkuehne
Developer
Developer
VLC version: 0.4.6 - present
Operating System: Darwin

Postby fkuehne » 02 Jan 2006 19:53

Nope, the only way is installing a RPC1-firmware, which will void the warrenty of your drive and might be illegal in your country. You can search the forum for "RPC1" to get more information on this topic.
VideoLAN
Felix Paul Kühne
Medic. VLC developer for appleOS since before you were born.
Blog: https://www.feepk.net

gragraoz

multi region issues

Postby gragraoz » 05 Jan 2006 02:55

I have a different situation: VLC happily plays regions 2 and 4, but not region 1. I take it the only solution is "firmware" for the dvd reader itself. I don'tI've never played anything other than a home idvd or all region (region-0) dvd using the Apple DVD player, so puzzled why the reader has blocked anything. Any answers?

Return to “VLC media player for macOS Troubleshooting”