Videos stalling endlessly

macOS specific usage questions
Lilly Begonia
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Videos stalling endlessly

Postby Lilly Begonia » 28 Aug 2017 03:07

I've been using VLC player for years. Over the last year I've encountered this problem of videos played in VLC player endlessly stalling for minutes at a time, and to say the least it is very annoying. I cannot watch videos I've had on disk for years without them locking up every few minutes for minutes at a time, which makes them not enjoyable at all, but a continuous annoyance. I've posted to Videolan's forums many times about this, but nothing ever gets done about it, and I've been totally ignored by them. I'm quite sure I'm not alone in this matter. What can be done about this? Is there a solution? If so why have you not responded? Why are we ignored about this issue? When will you do something about it? Why does this happen at all? I'd like answers.

Lornadoo
Blank Cone
Blank Cone
VLC version: 3.0.11.1
Operating System: Mac OS 10.14.6

Re: Videos stalling endlessly

Postby Lornadoo » 30 Aug 2017 23:42

It sounds to me like the hard drive where your videos are stored is failing, and not really a problem with VLC.

Lilly Begonia
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Re: Videos stalling endlessly

Postby Lilly Begonia » 15 Nov 2017 16:11

Ya know Lornadoo, you are right. In Activity Monitor I found that the disk the videos were on was generating huge amounts of network traffic, stalling out the videos I tried to play from it. I'm not sure why the disk was doing that, but I moved the files to another disk and formatted the original, before moving them back onto it, and that seems to have solved the problem.

Return to “VLC media player for macOS Troubleshooting”