No sound or image but video plays.

macOS specific usage questions
Vincec28
New Cone
New Cone

No sound or image but video plays.

Postby Vincec28 » 05 Sep 2016 06:09

Hello I just recently downloaded this media player I'm on a Mac running Mavericks and I'm trying to watch a DVD using the vlc player. I can see that the video is playing but I am just seeing a blank screen and there is no sound coming out either. Does anyone know why this is or have a fix for it? Thanks!

Corm
New Cone
New Cone

Re: No sound or image but video plays.

Postby Corm » 10 Sep 2016 17:26

I have a similar problem. "display output" is an option you can check somewhere that may fix it. It may be in advanced settings.
I played with all my audio settings on my VLC (though mine is windows, and I am streaming from a cable box to the tuner card). Different setup, but similar. I suspect VLC is incapable of streaming both audio and video at once.

Nephele
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby Nephele » 04 Feb 2017 09:29

Method 1. Set your VLC player unmute

When a media player fails to play sound, the first thing that comes into people’s mind is to check whether the player is set mute. If you’re too careless to mute your VLC player at the last playing, then definitely you’ll get no sound. What you need to do is set your VLC player to unmute state.

Step 1. Click the speaker icon bottom right of your computer.

Step 2. Click “Mixer.”

Step 3. Unmute your VLC player, and check whether the VLC plays sound or not.

Method 2. Adjust VLC audio settings

If the above solution doesn't work out, try adjusting VLC audio settings.

Step 1. Run VLC

Launch VLC player on PC, and click “Tools” “Preferences” to get to “Simple Preferences” interface.
Step 2. Adjust audio settings

On “Simple Preferences” interface, click “Audio” tab on the left side bar to navigate to “Audio Settings.” Make sure the “Enable audio” box is checked and then choose “Automatic” at “Output” dropdown list.

Nephele
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby Nephele » 13 Mar 2017 10:19

Method 1. Set your VLC player unmute

When a media player fails to play sound, the first thing that comes into people’s mind is to check whether the player is set mute. If you’re too careless to mute your VLC player at the last playing, then definitely you’ll get no sound. What you need to do is set your VLC player to unmute state.

Step 1. Click the speaker icon bottom right of your computer.

Step 2. Click “Mixer.”

Step 3. Unmute your VLC player, and check whether the VLC plays sound or not.

Method 2. Adjust VLC audio settings

If the above solution doesn't work out, try adjusting VLC audio settings.

Step 1. Run VLC

Launch VLC player on PC, and click “Tools” “Preferences” to get to “Simple Preferences” interface.
Step 2. Adjust audio settings

On “Simple Preferences” interface, click “Audio” tab on the left side bar to navigate to “Audio Settings.” Make sure the “Enable audio” box is checked and then choose “Automatic” at “Output” dropdown list.

Method 3. Convert your video to another format

If there is no expected result from the above solutions, you can use a third-party video converter such as Pavtube Video Converter to convert your video to another video format, for VLC player sometimes fails to play video files like MKV and MP4.

Return to “VLC media player for macOS Troubleshooting”