Playing Blu-Ray folder with VLC?

macOS specific usage questions
gozu
New Cone
New Cone

Playing Blu-Ray folder with VLC?

Postby gozu » 21 Mar 2014 15:56

I have a Blu-Ray folder and I've tried opening the BDMV file in it with VLC but it doesn't open it properly, displaying a menu and all that Jazz. Instead, it seems it just parses that file to play everything inside it willy nilly, choking on JAR files and other stuff.

Here is a screenshot:

http://imgur.com/eB04tYT

dfuhrmann
Developer
Developer

Re: Playing Blu-Ray folder with VLC?

Postby dfuhrmann » 21 Mar 2014 19:29

You need to use the "open BDMV folder" function in the open panel, and you need to choose the upper folder which contains the bdmv folder (with VLC 2.1.3).

gozu
New Cone
New Cone

Postby gozu » 21 Mar 2014 20:14

You need to use the "open BDMV folder" function in the open panel, and you need to choose the upper folder which contains the bdmv folder (with VLC 2.1.3).
Thanks dfuhrmann but I did that and it doesn't open the Blu-Ray menu. It just starts playing some random m2ts streams. I'm trying to get the Blu-Ray menu since this is a calibration blu-ray and useless without the menu.

I should add that I am using VLC 2.1.4 and the Blu-Ray in question is Disney's WoW calibration disc.

dfuhrmann
Developer
Developer

Postby dfuhrmann » 21 Mar 2014 22:35

Are you sure that you opened the bluray in the correct way? Your initial screenshot looks like it was wrong. If your bluray mrl is right now (should be bluray:///.../bd-folder/), then the menu is probably not supported in your version.

You can try a 2.2 nightly build from nightlies.videolan.org, maybe this will work better.

gozu
New Cone
New Cone

Postby gozu » 21 Mar 2014 23:07

Are you sure that you opened the bluray in the correct way? Your initial screenshot looks like it was wrong. If your bluray mrl is right now (should be bluray:///.../bd-folder/), then the menu is probably not supported in your version.

You can try a 2.2 nightly build from nightlies.videolan.org, maybe this will work better.
I should've made myself clearer. I did it wrong the first time and the screenshot reflected that.

After your comment, I did it right (opening the folder containing the BDMV file) and I stopped getting error msges, the video clips started playing immediately with no menu.

I just tried the latest nightly build unsuccessfully.

Who would have thought BluRay menus were so tricky? Live and learn :)

dfuhrmann
Developer
Developer

Postby dfuhrmann » 22 Mar 2014 08:52

Yes, bluray support is still rather experimental. Blame the content producers which make it hard to play their disks... :-)

colinbaker
New Cone
New Cone

Postby colinbaker » 10 Nov 2016 01:44

yes, i agree with you, VLC 2.0 or later version supports the Blu-ray playback. However, for legal reasons, AACS and BD+ DRM libraries and keys still are not shipped. That means only Blu-ray disc with AACS libraries exposed are supported.

BTW, if you have problem, cannot play blu-ray with VLC, the follow guide may be helpful for you:

You'll need two files: keys database and AACS dynamic library.

Keys database
UPDATED 21-02-2016! get the file: http://vlc-bluray.whoknowsmy.name/files/KEYDB.cfg
Windows: put it in C:\ProgramData\aacs\
Mac OS X: put it in ~/Library/Preferences/aacs/ (create it if it does not exist)
Linux: put it in ~/.config/aacs/
AACS dynamic library
UPDATED 22-02-2016! get that file: http://vlc-bluray.whoknowsmy.name/files ... aacs.dylib
VLC 32 bit on Windows: put that file in your VLC directory
VLC 64 bit on Windows: put that file in your VLC directory
Mac OS X: put that file in ~/lib directory (create it, if it does not exist)
In this way, the blu-ray may playable on vlc. If mac users still have issues, please turn to http://brorsoft.cn/tutorial/rip-blu-ray ... h-vlc.html, Best Way to Rip and Play Encrypted Blu-ray with VLC on Mac.

Teonanacatyl
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Teonanacatyl » 18 Dec 2016 17:09

Please repost with the full URLs.
All your links get cut off with "..."s
Many thanks in advance.

Return to “VLC media player for macOS Troubleshooting”