Video+Audio Capture not working in 2.0.9/2.1.x

macOS specific usage questions
SquishedSquirrel
New Cone
New Cone

Video+Audio Capture not working in 2.0.9/2.1.x

Postby SquishedSquirrel » 14 Nov 2013 17:47

I have not been able to get simultaneous video+audio capture to work on OSX. Under VLC 2.0.9, it had to be done via command line. Now with 2.1, the UI supports it. But, in both cases, this is the error generated:

main error: slave[0] doesn't like DEMUX_GET_TIME -> EOF
main debug: slave 0 EOF

To duplicate the issue, open VLC 2.1.1 on a MacBook Pro, select "Open Capture Device" and check the Facetime camera and built in microphone. I would expect to hear feedback as I tap on the laptop if Built-in microphone is the selected audio source. This brings up another issue... the Messages window is broken in 2.1.x. It is cut off in the middle of the window, so you can't see all of the messages. So, you have to close the capture window, and do the Open Capture Device a second time to see the error listed above.

On 2.0.9, I use this command line to open VLC:
open -a /Applications/VLC.app/Contents/MacOS/VLC --args -vvvv "qtcapture://" --qtcapture-width 640 --qtcapture-height 480 --input-slave="qtsound://"

It generates the same error. I can use that command line on 2.1.1 as well, but you can't see the error because of the Messages window bug.

This was suggested to be a code regression bug, but that was a long time ago...
https://forum.videolan.org/viewtopic.php?t=101126

SquishedSquirrel
New Cone
New Cone

Re: Video+Audio Capture not working in 2.0.9/2.1.x

Postby SquishedSquirrel » 16 Nov 2013 02:21

Is there a work around for this?

I have to assume if simultaneous Video and Audio capture was exposed in the OSX VLC UI that it must work in some configuration?

sirpete
New Cone
New Cone

Postby sirpete » 29 Jul 2016 23:36

I've run into this same issue. Did you end up finding any way around it?

Does anyone else know if there's a way around this issue? Maybe using AVCapture or maybe even something like ffmpeg?

_fred_berg_
Blank Cone
Blank Cone
Operating System: Window 10

Postby _fred_berg_ » 03 Aug 2016 06:06

I have my issues with this and I ended up using quicktime or snagit. I can't seem to get a grasp why.. but wasted time is not going to get me anywhere.
"your most unhappy customers are your greatest source of learning"

_fred_berg_
Blank Cone
Blank Cone
Operating System: Window 10

Postby _fred_berg_ » 03 Aug 2016 06:12

I have to say though, quicktime did the job but i used snagit as a backup.. it did well but i was hoping VLC can do this for my online learning project as I don't like using different programs for video capture. I like the way i organize my playlist and use its RMTP functions.
"your most unhappy customers are your greatest source of learning"

Return to “VLC media player for macOS Troubleshooting”