What happened to mono audio option in playback?

macOS specific usage questions
packzap
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

What happened to mono audio option in playback?

Postby packzap » 14 Feb 2011 06:18

I'm pretty sure it used to be in the VLC Mac version - the ability to put the player into mono while playing back content. You can with the Windows version, by selecting, Audio, Audio device, Mono. However, I don't see that option available with VLC for Mac (version 1.1.7).

Mono sums both the left and right channels together into one monophonic output channel. It is handy if the source is only in one channel, or to detect phasing problems with stereo playback.

ajmas
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna
VLC version: 3.0.x
Operating System: MacOS X

Re: What happened to mono audio option in playback?

Postby ajmas » 17 Feb 2011 19:14

I am not in a position to check VLC for the moment, but in the meantime two solutions outside of VLC are:
- "System Preferences" -> "Universal Access" -> "Hearing" tab -> selection "play stereo audio as mono"
- Monomaker (free) - an audio unit for "MacOS X" - I have only read about it on the web and have not had the chance to play with it

Edit: Now that I am hope I took a look. The option is there. Basically if you click on 'all' in the preferences and then go to audio/filters there is an option "audio filter for stereo to mono conversion".
Providing logs, messages, configuration info (VLC, OS, Hardware) and a clear explanation of the issue always helps the problem solvers help you, even if they don't end up solving the issue. Just think what you would need if you were solving someone else's problem. Additional: Always looking for eager and capable MacOS X developers to join the VLC team - for more information see here.

monoman
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby monoman » 16 Jun 2016 03:46

"Edit: Now that I am hope I took a look. The option is there. Basically if you click on 'all' in the preferences and then go to audio/filters there is an option "audio filter for stereo to mono conversion"." I went to oldversion.com and dl'd v1.11.1 and the instructions you give here make sense,

but they don't give anyone the mono that people want.

It's called like you say "audio filter for stereo to mono conversion" but the second line is "Select channel to keep" and the choices are left, right, left rear, right rear, center, and for some reason, left front. One channel at a time. Nowhere is there "combine left and right and output it through both, or even one, speaker. This is what Packzap says: "Mono sums both the left and right channels together into one monophonic output channel." and it's what he and I and the other people want. I know one should not look a gift horse in the mouth, but the authors probably want to know if users feel something is missing. Thank you for the rest of a wonderful program, but this part is lacking.

monoman
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby monoman » 16 Jun 2016 05:53

I tried "Audio Filter for stereo to mono conversion" and it didn't actually get rid of one channel while keeping the other. It was still full-blooded stereo, each part coming out of the proper speaker. No way to get mono yet, or even both speakers playing one channel.

packzap
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby packzap » 16 Jun 2016 06:04

Since VLC no longer has this option, if you're on a Mac, you can get mono thru System Preferences, Accessibility, Universal Access, Hearing, and putting a check mark in the box "Play stereo audio as mono" (as Ajmas aludes to above).

If you're on a Windows platform, then it's up to your sound card driver which may, or may not, have some kind of a mono setting. For Linux, I don't know. Maybe someone will chime in.

monoman
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby monoman » 16 Jun 2016 07:52

Unless closing the sound file and starting again, or restarting VLC would have made a difference? Sorry

Return to “VLC media player for macOS Troubleshooting”