Disabling float on top/always on top for playlist window but not video window

macOS specific usage questions
kapiken
New Cone
New Cone

Disabling float on top/always on top for playlist window but not video window

Postby kapiken » 28 Feb 2016 03:30

I have recently upgraded to 2.2.2, from a rather old version (possibly 1.0.8? I'm not too sure what the old was, only that it had an 8). But for my old setup, I had window decorations off, play in main window off, and keep on top on which provided a minimal video window to watch while I worked. With the old version, the video window would stay on top, while the playlist/main window would not. So if for instance I clicked into Word, the main window would go behind and all I would have to do is click on the traffic cone icon to pull it back forward.

Since upgrading, both windows always stay on top all the time unless I exit out of the main window, and then I have to go through the extra steps to open a new one every time I want to see my playlist. I know I sound lazy but I was wondering if there is a way to enable the old keep on top behavior (since at least for me it renders the option to disable window decorations useless).

If not, which was the last version that had the old behavior so I may rollback? I am using mountain lion.

anhydrousRXN
New Cone
New Cone

Re: Disabling float on top/always on top for playlist window but not video window

Postby anhydrousRXN » 23 Mar 2016 12:30

I am also looking for help with this issue.

kapiken
New Cone
New Cone

Re: Disabling float on top/always on top for playlist window but not video window

Postby kapiken » 23 Jun 2016 23:47

I am still having this issue, even in the most updated release. Any help?

kapiken
New Cone
New Cone

Postby kapiken » 18 May 2017 01:40

I have found that downgrading to 32-bit 2.0.10 to solve another issue has restored the functionality I was looking for. When enabling "float on top", the video window now stays on top but the playlist does not (unless I switch back to the application). This was a useful feature and I do not understand why it is missing in the most recent releases.

gonhidi
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby gonhidi » 14 Jun 2017 23:16

I believe that the change was intentional. I haven't personally found an issue on how it used to work (for example, if the video is large and hides the main window you can simply drag the video out of the way on current VLC versions[*]), but I imagine that the decision was not taken on a whim, so it might be a tough sell to get it back to how it used to be (if by simply wishing things came true, a user setting is what I would light a candle for).

[*] On current VLC 3.0.0 nightlies you can no longer move a (borderless) video window by hold-clicking on the video and dragging it around. I don't know whether this is intentional or not.

kapiken
New Cone
New Cone

Postby kapiken » 15 Jun 2017 01:44

Not being able to move a video would be an extreme inconvenience. :/

I have upgraded to 2.0.9 and still have functionality. It also has on-demand video resizing via corner drag which the earlier version I was using didn't, so that's good to have again. I wish I could stay current but I have a small laptop with an older OS by today's standards, so I'm not the one to be developing for I guess.

kapiken
New Cone
New Cone

Postby kapiken » 12 Nov 2018 04:10

Hi, I don't mean to be a nag and/or a necroposter, but I updated to 3.0.4 now that I have a new computer that can handle High Sierra hoping that this would be fixed... and it's not. So I guess gonhidi's suggestion that it is an intentional removal is true? A shame, since it was such a nice feature.

Return to “VLC media player for macOS Troubleshooting”