VLC 2.1.5 will not delete from trash

macOS specific usage questions
mass55th
New Cone
New Cone

VLC 2.1.5 will not delete from trash

Postby mass55th » 30 Jul 2015 01:39

I recently updated version 2.1.5 with VLC version 2.2.1. I am using an iMac with OS 10.6.8. As usual, the older version was automatically placed in my trash during the upgrade, but when I attempted to empty my trash bin today, I received an error message 8003 that an unexpected error had occurred. I tried securing the empty trash, then emptying it, and also holding down the Option key while emptying it. Neither one worked, and I get the same 8003 error each time. When I removed the old version from my trash, I was able to empty the trash bin without problem. Put it back in, and it won't delete, and I get the 8003 error message. I've searched the net for help, and this forum, but have been unable to find a specific thread that covers this problem. I've removed the old version and placed it on my desktop for now, but I'd like to get rid of it, and am wondering if anyone can advise me on how to do this, or will I have to live with it for the rest of my natural life? Any help would be greatly appreciated. I've had several versions of VLC over the years with this computer, and have never experienced this type of problem. Thank you for your time.

mass55th
New Cone
New Cone

Re: VLC 2.1.5 will not delete from trash

Postby mass55th » 30 Jul 2015 05:41

I was finally able to delete the old version of VLC. For anyone else who has a problem deleting the trash, and gets an error 8003, here is what I did:

Right-click on application, and click "Show Package Contents." A "Contents" folder will open up.
There were several documents and files in it, and I just deleted them one-by-one, emptying the trash after I put a folder or document in the bin. I had one folder "Frameworks" that was triggering the error message. I set that aside on my desktop, and got rid of the rest of the items in the Contents folder. I opened the Frameworks folder and began dropping each item that was in it into the trash, emptying it as I went. It was all finally deleted without any errors. I don't know what was causing the problem, but I'm glad it's gotten resolved. I appreciate the opportunity to ask for help, and am glad that I was able to share my resolution here. Thanks.

camycent
New Cone
New Cone

Re: VLC 2.1.5 will not delete from trash

Postby camycent » 30 Jul 2015 13:24

You can use this step to delete vlc from trash

Start your VLC player
Click on File -> Open Recent -> Click on “Clear Menu”

Return to “VLC media player for macOS Troubleshooting”