stuck in random playback

macOS specific usage questions
Nic104
New Cone
New Cone

stuck in random playback

Postby Nic104 » 18 Jul 2015 23:30

My VLC player only now plays in random playback. This is a new thing as of yesterday. I try to switch it back to NEXT on the playback menu, but it returns to random as soon as I move my cursor off menu bar.

I've checked for updates (up-to-date)
I've re-installed it

HELP PLEASE! :D

dfuhrmann
Developer
Developer

Re: stuck in random playback

Postby dfuhrmann » 19 Jul 2015 09:09

This is a new thing as of yesterday.
VLC does not change its behaviour based on time or mood. ;-) So there is something you must have changed yesterday.

Generally, consider resetting preferences and try again.

kdean
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna
VLC version: 2.2
Operating System: Mac OS

Postby kdean » 19 Jul 2015 17:19

You may be misunderstanding how the menu works. You mention switching back to NEXT, but the Next menu item just jumps to the next track. If RANDOM if checked in the menu, you need to select RANDOM again to uncheck it or toggle Command-Z.

Nic104
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Nic104 » 20 Jul 2015 07:36

THANK YOU FOR THE RESPONSES!

I don't know, I really think I got the moody VLC. I have some pretty suspect taste in videos, so maybe VLC finally had enough and decided to fight back.

Before this issue, I had never been in the preferences, so not sure what I'm looking for.

Makes sense when I read that selecting NEXT in the menu just tells it to go to that one now and not a stuck setting. I've actually never gone into the menu until this issue started happening. I always just played a videos by dragging groups of videos in, and it used to automatically go the one below it. Or I would open the screen and drag them in one at a time until I got the playback list.

Is there a way to make it play them sequentially as a default?

dfuhrmann
Developer
Developer

Postby dfuhrmann » 20 Jul 2015 08:15

As kdean already said: click on the "Random" menu item. Next time you open the playback menu, you should see the check mark disappeared beneath the text. Thats all. (And it has nothing to do with VLCs mood ;-) )

Return to “VLC media player for macOS Troubleshooting”