I can run VLC from the disk image but can't put in applications folder

macOS specific usage questions
Varjak
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

I can run VLC from the disk image but can't put in applications folder

Postby Varjak » 12 Jun 2015 19:28

I can run VLC from the .dmg file; but it won't let me put it in the applications folder. When I try and drag the icon from the window that pops up from the disk image, it says information cannot be copied. VLC still works when I click that icon, so I have no idea what is happening.

flamesong
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Re: I can run VLC from the disk image but can't put in applications folder

Postby flamesong » 12 Jun 2015 21:02

If I had a situation like this, I'd try copying it to the desktop (or somewhere else) then moving it to the Applications folder.

But that said, you could try repairing permissions on your startup drive with Disk Utility or just looking to see if your Applications folder is locked or you have sufficient privileges by looking at its Get Info window.

Varjak
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby Varjak » 12 Jun 2015 22:31

Thanks. I don't think Apps Folder is locked, as I've put other Apps in there. The OS tells me I can't drag the icon there because some data can't be copied or something. There's a 'phantom' icon in the Apps folder, but it's no the 'cone,' it's a sheaf of papers with a white circle and line through it. When I click this, it tells me the app is missing some components and can't open. It's a total catch-22 kind of thing.

Varjak
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby Varjak » 15 Jun 2015 19:15

It still won't work. Option-click-drag to the Applications folder (from Finder) won't let me complete the operation. There has to be a way to totally eradicate VLC and then start from scratch or something. I've re-installed it a few times to no avail.

dfuhrmann
Developer
Developer

Postby dfuhrmann » 15 Jun 2015 22:05

Sound like a broken VLC is still inside the Applications folder. First, delete this folder.

hobbes
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby hobbes » 16 Jun 2015 21:24

The "phantom" icon indicates that the version of VLC in your Applications folder is not compatible with your OS. Delete this old version of VLC. Then you should be able to drag the new version into the Applications folder.

Varjak
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby Varjak » 19 Jun 2015 23:54

Thanks hobbes; but it runs from the disk image, so why would it be incompatible? Also it's VLC 2.2.1 which is for Mac OS 10.6, which is what I'm using (Snow Leopard 10.6.8).

dfuhrmann, delete which folder? Not the whole Apps folder? I've tried to clean everything away before and re-install; but it didn't work.

dfuhrmann
Developer
Developer

Postby dfuhrmann » 20 Jun 2015 00:30

Just follow hobbes instructions in his last post. It is not that hard.

You do not need to care about "incompatibility" in this regard.

Varjak
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby Varjak » 22 Jun 2015 01:46

But I've deleted those items several times (both the whole folder and the 'phantom icon'), reinstalled, and dragged the icon to no success.

hobbes
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby hobbes » 22 Jun 2015 18:14

Your disk may be corrupt. Run Disk Utility, select your harddisk, select 'Repair Disk', then 'Repair permissions'.

Return to “VLC media player for macOS Troubleshooting”