VLC playing on my desktop??

macOS specific usage questions
vicL1980
New Cone
New Cone

VLC playing on my desktop??

Postby vicL1980 » 19 May 2015 17:35

So I opened a movie file last night and VLC opened as though I had clicked the icon without opening a media file. A second later the audio started playing so not knowing what was happening I closed the VLC window and saw the video was playing on the desktop! as though it had taken over from my wallpaper! It was playing behind my desktop icons and that bar thingy that pops up at the bottom. Once the novelty had worn off (It took all of 16 seconds) I summoned my vast computering experience and used my finely honed skills to turn it off and on again. (I'm not good at computers) First I did this with VLC and then with the whole computer. No luck!! Not to worry, I had other options, I could ask the all-knowing, omnipotent google. I phrased my query several different ways, from "Dear google, please, oh please help me with my quandry" to ""me wot VLC doing funny stuff an I fink it broke" Nothing.
Last resort: find a forum, sign up, (leaving yet another online footprint for the NSA to track) and ask someone who knows more about computer than I. (Which is a vast, VAST portion of the population.)

(pst, this is where you come in....)

kdean
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna
VLC version: 2.2
Operating System: Mac OS

Re: VLC playing on my desktop??

Postby kdean » 21 May 2015 17:32

Preferences -> Show All -> Video

Uncheck "Enable wallpaper mode"

Return to “VLC media player for macOS Troubleshooting”