Fixing AVI index was never a problem before

macOS specific usage questions
gumigecko
New Cone
New Cone

Fixing AVI index was never a problem before

Postby gumigecko » 26 May 2009 01:26

I am running VLC version 0.9.9a on my Dual 2 GHz PowerPC G5 running OS X 10.5.6.

I recently began having a problem playing AVI files. When I drag an AVI file to the VLC player an error box pops out of the player that reads as such with the three options below:

AVI Index

This AVI file is broken. Seeking will not work correctly.
Do you want to try to repair it?

This might take a long time.

(Don't Repair) (Cancel) (Repair)

If and when I click on (Repair) or I change the Preferences the automatically repair broken AVI files then it 'fixes' them in under a minute, for the most part. But I never had this issue before. It only started happening with some recent .avi s that I got downloaded. What is worse, is that after happening to the new files, when I go back to try to open old AVI files that had NEVER had such issues, THEY TOO are now 'broken' and in need of fixing!!

What is happening? and how do I fix it?

Do I even need seeking? My instincts tell me to turn off the auto fixing and even to turn on the 'Never Fix' feature in the Preferences. And, in fact, this stops the error box from appearing and the AVI plays just fine.

But what am I losing by turning off fixing AVI files at all? I can still click through the AVI to 'seek' without any problems, although... in the past when I have clicked too many times throughout an AVI file it has eventually crashed VLC. This I don't mind so much though, I just want my files to play at startup without the delay while they are 'fixed'.

Thoughts?

Ranger Barth
New Cone
New Cone

Re: Fixing AVI index was never a problem before

Postby Ranger Barth » 27 Jul 2009 08:23

I have started having the same problem. At first I thought it was new AVI files I had downloaded within the past couple of weeks, but when I go to old AVI files that I know worked before, they are all needing to be fixed and sometimes take upward of 10 minutes where before they didn't. I can't seem to find any forum entry anywhere by googling that comes up with a solution.

My old Mac with VLC had this problem before, and that was fixed by simply deleting the old version of VLC and installing a newer version. But this one is the current issue.

guitarmv
New Cone
New Cone

Postby guitarmv » 27 Oct 2009 04:27

Same thing here, all of a sudden every file needs fixing, after working no problem for literally years. Great product though, like it says I have been using it for years!

guitarmv
New Cone
New Cone

Postby guitarmv » 27 Oct 2009 04:31

If you go to Input & Codecs in preferences in Preferences you can choose "Never Fix" index repairing, which I now have, but I wonder if it renders bad quality?

widgetsdaddy
New Cone
New Cone

Postby widgetsdaddy » 12 May 2010 12:19

I recently re-installed VLC player out of some misguided sense of loyalty & also because I had read articles saying that they had ironed out glitches occurring in Windows 7. I had been using KMP instead but I always preferred the smooth simplicity of VLC & also not having to get bogged down in codecs all the time so thought I'd give it another go. Bad mistake! Now virtually all my avi files need repairing every time I try to play them both new and old, ripped & downloaded. I decided to try same files in KMP, WMP & MPC and lo & behold they played fine in all three. Now I don't know what the answer is to this problem with VLC but I wish they'd sort it out because I'm still a great fan but I'm fed up with scratching my head & having to spend hours trawling round various forums trying to find a fix. Like most modern consumers I wanna turn it on, press the buttons & have it work perfectly every time. Judging by what I've read on these fruitless jaunts into cyberdom it isn't just Windows 7 that's having these problems.Let's hope the boffins can sort this out cos I for one love the product!

Heletia
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby Heletia » 29 Jul 2012 14:52

I'm getting it saying: "Fixing AVI Index" and it has the green bar going across the center but it just keeps on going and going but nothing happens so I have to close it down.

Verison VLC media player 2.0.2 Twoflower

This player is very important for me to have as I need to take screen caps and its the only player I can find that lets me do that. Such a shame its so spasmodic with what it will and won't play.

I would even pay for it - if it worked properly 24/7.

Cheers
Heletia

mdffyx
New Cone
New Cone

Postby mdffyx » 10 Mar 2015 18:02

Why NO ANSWERS to these posts? I'm experiencing the same problem in March 2015.

Jean-Baptiste Kempf
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
VLC version: 4.0.0-git
Operating System: Linux, Windows, Mac

Postby Jean-Baptiste Kempf » 10 Mar 2015 23:08

Because they are too vague.
Jean-Baptiste Kempf
http://www.jbkempf.com/ - http://www.jbkempf.com/blog/category/Videolan
VLC media player developer, VideoLAN President and Sites administrator
If you want an answer to your question, just be specific and precise. Don't use Private Messages.

cchen23
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby cchen23 » 10 Mar 2015 23:16

Can you specify your problem?

mdffyx
New Cone
New Cone

Postby mdffyx » 12 Mar 2015 00:40

Same problem as described clearly in previous posts. No matter if vids are new or old, they all have to go thru the VLC index repair procedure before playback. Why is this a problem from 2008 thru now and no answers to any of these inquiries?

cchen23
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby cchen23 » 12 Mar 2015 15:46

So the problem is: why can't vlc play avi files without going through index repair procedure?

dfuhrmann
Developer
Developer

Postby dfuhrmann » 12 Mar 2015 18:38

The other posts are totally old, and thus not useful anymore nowadays. If you have this problem, we need more information for you. First, install the latest VLC version, 2.2. Then reset preferences. Then try with multiple files, and file where you are sure they are definitely valid.

Maybe we need VLC logs as well. Otherwise, we cannot solve your problem.

Return to “VLC media player for macOS Troubleshooting”