VLC for Mavericks is pretty buggy: Video proof.

macOS specific usage questions
MPX4132
New Cone
New Cone

VLC for Mavericks is pretty buggy: Video proof.

Postby MPX4132 » 12 May 2014 07:48

I've been trying to watch videos in fullscreen mode on a secondary display attached to my iMac, it's a Samsung 42" TV, the problem is there's some type of bug which basically duplicates the menu bar, well not literally but it creates a bar where the menu bar should drops down to when the mouse is hovered over the top. It also happens that it'll double glitch and make two bars instead (as if one wasn't annoying enough). Then there's a third bug which brings the controls of VLC to be displayed in the wrong screen.

Here's the screencast of what I'm talking about: http://youtu.be/X2Px53Yh7hA

I'm running Mac OS 10.9.2 (Mavericks)
VLC version 2.1.4
Dual-display, the iMac's native 2560x1440, while the TV only does 1080p

I highly recommend you watch the video before making any suggestions as I reset VLC completely twice.
Once before I started screencasting, to show some proof it does it from a clean install, and then the second time in the video, although I believe I forgot to delete the cache in the video.

dfuhrmann
Developer
Developer

Re: VLC for Mavericks is pretty buggy: Video proof.

Postby dfuhrmann » 13 May 2014 22:31

Yes we are aware of these problems wrt. the menu bar. After a lot of investigation, it looks like these bugs are related to problems with the mac sdk itself, so this needs to be fixed by Apple. You are welcome to file bug reports to Apple so this problem gets more attention. ;-)

For VLC 2.2 (you can try a nightly build if you like), we integrated a nasty hack which prevents the issues more or less.

MPX4132
New Cone
New Cone

Postby MPX4132 » 13 May 2014 23:07

Yeah I see what you mean, the controls bug also occurs with QuickTime. Thanks for the reply.

jwebb117
Blank Cone
Blank Cone
VLC version: 0.8.6c
Operating System: OSX

Postby jwebb117 » 03 Jun 2014 02:54

This is why I don't upgrade my OS for any reason unless there's a feature I literally cannot live without. The promised upgrades are paltry compared to the assurance that what I have already has been running smoothly for a long time.

Return to “VLC media player for macOS Troubleshooting”