Default video size

macOS specific usage questions
babaloo
New Cone
New Cone

Default video size

Postby babaloo » 26 Mar 2011 14:13

Is there any chance to set a default video size in VLC? Like doubled?

I tried to achieve this in Settings - Video - (All) under "Video Auto Scaling" by setting the scaling factor to 2 as well as under "Window decorations" by setting "Zoom video" to 2.
None of that has any effect. Neither alone nor when changing both settings. And yes, I restarted VLC in between changes.

Any idea?

(VLC 1.1.8 on OS X 10.6.7)

babaloo
New Cone
New Cone

Re: Default video size

Postby babaloo » 08 May 2011 14:21

Just to make sure: I asked the above more than a month ago. Does getting no answer mean that there is in fact no solution available?

ScrnName
New Cone
New Cone

Postby ScrnName » 23 Jun 2011 07:07

Any chance this issue could be addressed please? Searched for 3hrs & found nothing but 2 other people's unanswered posts... Thanks!

IS THERE A WAY TO SET DEFAULT WINDOW SIZE? ADVANCED "VIDEO" OPTIONS HAVE NO EFFECT

Just installed 1.1.10.1 64-bit for Mac OS X running 10.6.7
Want to set default window size to "fit to screen," but each new video opens up full size (not full screen) & across monitors.
When using just Macbook screen, it opens the video window halfway down the screen, rather than upper-left corner.

Full Screen works, but otherwise NONE of the Advanced "Video" options have any effect whatsoever on the default video window size or position.
Is that normal?

- "Video Auto Scaling" both off and on - zero change.
- Tried several values for "Video width" and "Video height" (-1000, -1, 0, 2, 1/4, 0.25, 200) - Zero change.
(are these supposed to reference a table of options? Pixel values? The "defaults" of 1 or -1 don't make any sense & there's nothing on the Wiki...)
- "Video Scaling factor" (tried with "auto scale" off AND on) - everything from -10 to 10. Zero impact.
- Video alignment & Zoom video have zero effect.

The only thing that seems to work is setting "Deinterlace" to Automatic.
Also, setting "Monitor Pixel Aspect Ratio" WILL change it to 4:3 or 16:9, but both are still HUGE & don't fix my problem.

I quit & restarted VLC after every one of these changes. Didn't seem to matter.
(BTW, I'm playing 1080P AVCHD MTS files w/o any problem, so not sure what the issue is for other people whose MTS files won't play).

Does anybody know at least whether or not these used to work in a previous version, or if they may be fixed soon?
Thank you!

Unrelated: I discovered that checking "Minimal Mac OS X" under "Main Interfaces" corrupts the Preferences & causes VLC to break completely.
Removing folders from the Library & reinstalling got it working again.

fkuehne
Developer
Developer
VLC version: 0.4.6 - present
Operating System: Darwin

Postby fkuehne » 04 Jul 2011 01:00

Regrettably, vout alignment and therefore customizable window positions (there is only the default feature, that it opens where you closed it) and sizes are not supported within VLC for Mac. These are Linux- and Windows-only options. There is a long standing ticket about that in our bug tracker.

@ Minimal Mac Interface: This will always break your normal VLC execution, as it is meant to be used when VLC is embedded in a framework within 3rd party applications. It will be removed from future versions of VLC for Mac to avoid the confusion.
VideoLAN
Felix Paul Kühne
Medic. VLC developer for appleOS since before you were born.
Blog: https://www.feepk.net

kimnt
New Cone
New Cone

Postby kimnt » 07 Sep 2011 16:50

Achieve this in Settings - Video - (All) under "Video Auto Scaling" by setting the scaling factor to under 1 example: 0.70 ( 1=100% size ) .and under "Window decorations" setting "Zoom video" to 1. ( =no zoom ) Don't forget click save.
My setting zoom 0.70 for my video 1920X1028 perfect fit my monitor 1280X1024. and I don't want zoom in my video, so I set zoom 1.

zopfan
New Cone
New Cone
Operating System: Windows 7

Postby zopfan » 04 Nov 2013 08:59

Thank you. I needed this behavior very much.
Sanjeev Kumar (Vovvy). Bathinda. Punjab.
Wonder what is the end of this tecnology!

Return to “VLC media player for macOS Troubleshooting”