VLC and Airserver issue (sound dropped every few time)

macOS specific usage questions
htep
New Cone
New Cone

VLC and Airserver issue (sound dropped every few time)

Postby htep » 27 Aug 2013 23:35

Hello All,

I'm facing an issue with VLC 2.0.8 (Mac) and airserver. VLC dropped sound every 1min30s (during 1s). Thanks to dave's blog, it seems that airserver and VLC didn't like each other ;)

The problem is that all the other media player works well when airserver is running (Quicktime, Mplayerx, etc) and I'd like go on with vlc.
As soon as I kill airserver, I can watch all movie without "mute" every 1min30s.

Is there an option to tick or untick to prevent this case. Is the ball is in the VIDEOLAN camp or Airserver camp?

here is a extract from dave's blog which explain what happened (source : http://blog.dave.io/2013/04/fix-for-vlc ... w-seconds/)

AirServer broadcasts the existence of its AirPlay interfaces on a regular basis to any devices that are listening. Once a Mac receives an AirPlay advertisement, it updates its list of available audio output devices.

VLC detects this update, and rescans the available devices, which is in principle good behaviour (you would want it to react if you changed the default output device in the Sound preference pane, for example). Unfortunately, instead of immediately restoring output, it takes a second or two to fill its output buffer and start playing audio again.

This happens every time the list of output devices change – which, as I’ve mentioned, happens every time AirServer broadcasts its existence.

Thanking you in advance,

Config :
Mac Mini on a HDTV display (Sound in HDMI)

htep
New Cone
New Cone

Re: VLC and Airserver issue (sound dropped every few time)

Postby htep » 28 Aug 2013 21:08

No idea?

deus0ww
Blank Cone
Blank Cone
Operating System: Mac OS

Re: VLC and Airserver issue (sound dropped every few time)

Postby deus0ww » 17 Sep 2013 05:21

I reported this here last year: https://forum.videolan.org/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=105204

Please, please, please fix this. It really is a pain to have to quit the AirServer daemon to get VLC to work normally.

Return to “VLC media player for macOS Troubleshooting”