Randomly No Audio On Launch

macOS specific usage questions
Dhaka
New Cone
New Cone

Randomly No Audio On Launch

Postby Dhaka » 28 Jul 2013 04:28

About 1 time out of 10, when I open a media file (movie or music) while VLC is closed, there will be no audio on launch. If I close the play window, and open the file again, there will be audio: so, this problem has nothing to do with the contents of the file, it's just a VLC initialization bug. It happens rarely and only during launch, but it happens. In my log window, I see:

Code: Select all

... main debug: Buffering 78% main debug: Buffering 80% main debug: Buffering 83% main debug: Buffering 86% main debug: Buffering 88% main debug: Buffering 91% main debug: Buffering 94% main debug: Buffering 96% main debug: Buffering 99% main debug: Stream buffering done (1018 ms in 1 ms) main debug: VLC is looking for: 'mpga' 44100 Hz Mono frame=1152 samples/1053 bytes auhal error: No audio output devices were found. auhal warning: audio device already in use auhal error: audio-device var does not exist. device probe failed. auhal error: opening the auhal output failed main debug: no audio output module matching "any" could be loaded main debug: TIMER module_need() : 4.959 ms - Total 4.959 ms / 1 intvls (Avg 4.959 ms) main error: no suitable audio output module main debug: releasing audio output main error: failed to create audio output ...
I have Mountain Lion (10.8.4) on a recent Mac mini. I am using VLC 2.0.7 Twoflower (Intel 64bit), but versions prior to 2.0.7 also exhibited this problem.

Chris11979
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Re: Randomly No Audio On Launch

Postby Chris11979 » 29 Jul 2013 10:29

I have the same issue on my iphone

Dhaka
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Dhaka » 30 Jul 2013 15:03

Version 2.0.8 was announced today, and the main feature is:
Following the numerous issues on the audio side of VLC 2.0, the audio core has been mostly rewritten, including a rewrite of most audio output modules, and of many audio filters.
[Source]
Although the download link is not available yet, I am assuming that this new version will be the solution to my problem. So, I mark this thread as "resolved".

brucegraphics
Blank Cone
Blank Cone
VLC version: 2.1.4
Operating System: OS X

Postby brucegraphics » 30 Jul 2013 15:53

Version 2.0.8 was announced today, and the main feature is:
Following the numerous issues on the audio side of VLC 2.0, the audio core has been mostly rewritten, including a rewrite of most audio output modules, and of many audio filters.
[Source]
Although the download link is not available yet, I am assuming that this new version will be the solution to my problem. So, I mark this thread as "resolved".
No, that feature is not part of 2.0.8 but VLC 2.1.0-pre2 which you can download today.

Return to “VLC media player for macOS Troubleshooting”