VLC 2.0 AND Blu Ray. What Do I need?

macOS specific usage questions
bob87
New Cone
New Cone

Re: VLC 2.0 AND Blu Ray. What Do I need?

Postby bob87 » 23 Dec 2012 17:35

that makes so much more sense then what I was trying to do. It is working now.

Thanks for your help!

blucy
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby blucy » 23 Dec 2012 17:51

You will then be able to decode BLU-Ray discs with aacs encryption but NOT BD+.
Will BD+ be possible in the future?
(Does anyone know if Macgo's "Blu-ray Player.app" can decode BD+?)
Thanks.

ppcguy
New Cone
New Cone

Postby ppcguy » 24 Dec 2012 00:03

You will then be able to decode BLU-Ray discs with aacs encryption but NOT BD+.
Will BD+ be possible in the future?
(Does anyone know if Macgo's "Blu-ray Player.app" can decode BD+?)
Thanks.
Yeah Macgo's blu-ray player decodes both BLU_Ray with aacs encryption and BD+ and that is why i finally bought macgo blu-ray player and now i can enjoy all the blu-rays i bought!
Last edited by ppcguy on 24 Dec 2012 00:05, edited 1 time in total.

ppcguy
New Cone
New Cone

Postby ppcguy » 24 Dec 2012 00:04

that makes so much more sense then what I was trying to do. It is working now.

Thanks for your help!
you're welcome! glad i could help! enjoy your blu-rays:)

Kamakzie
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Kamakzie » 05 Jan 2013 06:35

FINALLY got this to work. This time in Windows 8 and I tried Superman The Movie and it worked!

rational
New Cone
New Cone

Postby rational » 25 Feb 2013 20:13

Success for me with commercial Blu-rays. Thank you!

Now I need ideas for playing BD-R discs burned by a Panasonic DMR-BS880 from Satellite broadcasts.

The disc mounts and VLC makes a valiant attempt to understand the disc, but seems unable to decrypt the m2ts files.

The structure of the disc is as follows:
...............................................................}CPSUnit00001.cci
...............................................................}CPSUnit00002.cci [assuming 2 titles recorded]
..............................}—<AACS_av>———{}Unit_Key_RW.inf
...........}-<AACS>-{}MKB_RW.inf
...........}.........................................................}00001.clpi
<root>{....................}-<CLIPINF>---------{}00002.clpi
.............}-<BDAV>-{}info.bdav
................................}-<PLAYLIST>--------{}00001.rpls
................................}....................................}00002.rpls
................................}
................................}-<STREAM>---------{}00001.m2ts
.....................................................................}00002.m2ts

Any ideas how to proceed?

Jean-Baptiste Kempf
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
VLC version: 4.0.0-git
Operating System: Linux, Windows, Mac

Postby Jean-Baptiste Kempf » 26 Feb 2013 05:15

Maybe the AACS key is too recent?
Jean-Baptiste Kempf
http://www.jbkempf.com/ - http://www.jbkempf.com/blog/category/Videolan
VLC media player developer, VideoLAN President and Sites administrator
If you want an answer to your question, just be specific and precise. Don't use Private Messages.

1ststatestereo
New Cone
New Cone

Postby 1ststatestereo » 19 Mar 2013 01:43

Hello,
I have the same problem. However, the posted link no longer works.
Also, I do not have much computer know-how.
Can I get this broken down for me?

thanks

AprilHare
New Cone
New Cone

Postby AprilHare » 22 Mar 2013 07:48

I find the decryption works well. Commercial Bluray discs play.
Now, what can we do about menus? libbluray-bdj?

Jean-Baptiste Kempf
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Postby Jean-Baptiste Kempf » 22 Mar 2013 19:57

bd-j is in libbluray, but not perfect, yet.
And BD+ is inexistant too.
Jean-Baptiste Kempf
If you want an answer to your question, just be specific and precise. Don't use Private Messages.

heyyydrea
New Cone
New Cone

Postby heyyydrea » 16 Apr 2013 08:47

Hello, I also need some help in getting this to work. I've been able to complete the first step with ease, but am stuck with the second one.

"2. AACS dynamic library
Mac OS: put that file in ~/lib directory (create it, if it does not exist)"

Where exactly should this ~/lib directory be in? I placed it initially in the User directory, still didn't work. I feel like I'm missing something very simple here, and I'm just not getting it.

SimonM
New Cone
New Cone

Blu Ray playback worked but then stopped!

Postby SimonM » 19 Apr 2013 13:15

I'm having an unusual problem in that, following the installation instructions at http://vlc-bluray.whoknowsmy.name, Blu Ray playback worked perfectly initially, but now no longer does so! :? :x :cry: :evil:

I'm experimenting with my very first Blu Ray disc purchase and I was initially excited that I got it working so quickly and easily with a simple internet search and installation but that excitement has turned out to be very short lived. What confuses me is that I've made absolutely no changes to the system, VLC or the aacs installation whatsoever since it was working. I copied the entire Blu-Ray disc to my Movies folder and everything was working perfectly initially.

I should point out that I was also experimenting in ripping the movie with Handbrake, which also worked perfectly initially. In fact, it was working up until about the fourth or fifth rip at which point the movie folder would no longer open in Handbrake or VLC with the error message: "Blu-Ray error - Your system AACS decoding library does not work. Missing keys?"

What could possibly be going on here? Why would it work and then stop? Is it related to me ripping the movie for my own use, something that is perfectly legal in my country. I'm suspicious because it was almost certainly after exactly five rips that it stopped working. Or have the keys somehow or other been compromised or blocked? At least I still have one of the successful rips.

I've attached the VLC error log for the issue. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Or maybe it's just too much trouble after all and I should give up on the whole Blu Ray thing. Why do they have to make it so difficult? I just want to watch a movie that I bought on my laptop and iPhone. Is that too much to bloody ask?

Code: Select all

main debug: using interface module "macosx" main debug: TIMER module_need() : 67.251 ms - Total 67.251 ms / 1 intvls (Avg 67.251 ms) main debug: playlist threads correctly activated main debug: rebuilding array of current - root Playlist main debug: rebuild done - 0 items, index -1 main debug: looking for services probe module: 5 candidates main debug: no services probe module matching "any" could be loaded main debug: TIMER module_need() : 2.055 ms - Total 2.055 ms / 1 intvls (Avg 2.055 ms) macosx debug: using future AR cookies main debug: looking for extension module: 1 candidate lua debug: Opening Lua Extension module lua debug: Trying Lua scripts in /Users/myhomefolder/Library/Application Support/org.videolan.vlc/lua/extensions lua debug: Trying Lua scripts in /Applications/VLC.app/Contents/MacOS/share/lua/extensions lua debug: Trying Lua scripts in /Applications/VLC.app/Contents/MacOS/share/share/lua/extensions main debug: using extension module "lua" main debug: TIMER module_need() : 0.183 ms - Total 0.183 ms / 1 intvls (Avg 0.183 ms) macosx debug: Found 1 capture devices macosx debug: no optical media found macosx debug: no optical media found main debug: adding item `MOON' ( bluray:///Users/myhomefolder/Movies/MOON ) main debug: Creating an input for 'MOON' main debug: rebuilding array of current - root Playlist main debug: rebuild done - 1 items, index -1 main debug: processing request item: MOON, node: Playlist, skip: 0 main debug: resyncing on MOON main debug: MOON is at 0 main debug: starting playback of the new playlist item main debug: resyncing on MOON main debug: MOON is at 0 main debug: creating new input thread main debug: no fetch required for (null) (art currently (null)) main debug: Creating an input for 'MOON' main debug: using timeshift granularity of 50 MiB, in path '/tmp' main debug: `bluray:///Users/myhomefolder/Movies/MOON' gives access `bluray' demux `' path `/Users/myhomefolder/Movies/MOON' main debug: creating demux: access='bluray' demux='' location='/Users/myhomefolder/Movies/MOON' file='/Users/myhomefolder/Movies/MOON' main debug: looking for access_demux module: 1 candidate libbluray: First play: 1, Top menu: 1 HDMV Titles: 495, BD-J Titles: 5, Other: 5 main debug: no access_demux module matching "bluray" could be loaded main debug: TIMER module_need() : 82.142 ms - Total 82.142 ms / 1 intvls (Avg 82.142 ms) main debug: creating access 'bluray' location='/Users/myhomefolder/Movies/MOON', path='/Users/myhomefolder/Movies/MOON' main debug: looking for access module: 0 candidates main debug: no access module matched "bluray" main debug: TIMER module_need() : 0.107 ms - Total 0.107 ms / 1 intvls (Avg 0.107 ms) main error: open of `bluray:///Users/myhomefolder/Movies/MOON' failed main debug: finished input main debug: dead input main debug: changing item without a request (current 0/1) main debug: nothing to play main debug: TIMER input launching for 'MOON' : 83.587 ms - Total 83.587 ms / 1 intvls (Avg 83.587 ms)

jwb1979
New Cone
New Cone

Postby jwb1979 » 19 Apr 2013 13:20

I'm also getting the same problem after I updated to 2.0.6 and I also updated the keys database and the AACS dynamic library. I get the following error message as well.

Code: Select all

Blu-Ray error Your system AACS decoding library does not work. Missing keys?

SimonM
New Cone
New Cone

Postby SimonM » 19 Apr 2013 13:35

But the thing is, it was working in 2.0.6 before it stopped. It's gone from working to not working in only 24 hours. Hopefully they find a fix because I really want to be able to buy Blu Ray discs, but I won't do so if I can't play or convert them.

jwb1979
New Cone
New Cone

Postby jwb1979 » 19 Apr 2013 15:08

Blu-rays played fine for me in 2.0.5 but when I updated to 2.0.6 they stopped playing.

SimonM
New Cone
New Cone

Postby SimonM » 20 Apr 2013 04:31

If so, can you go back to 2.0.5 and confirm if it plays for you again? If you don't have the installer you can download previous versions through Videolan's FTP site.

xrayos
New Cone
New Cone

Postby xrayos » 20 Apr 2013 04:57

you sure it does not work?

I just followed the instructions and vlc 2.0.6 works for me.

xrayos
New Cone
New Cone

Postby xrayos » 20 Apr 2013 05:10

^ oops. sorry, this was after I had used makemkv on a blu-ray.

so, anyone figure out how to get it to work?

SimonM
New Cone
New Cone

Postby SimonM » 20 Apr 2013 13:44

I just downloaded Makemkv but it too won't work. This is despite the fact VLC was working just two days ago!

Looks like I found out what I need to know. Screw Blu Ray and AACS! If they want to make it so difficult to convert movies I purchased then I simply won't buy movies and their DRM bullshit. This $12 Blu Ray movie was my first and it'll be my last.

I'll download the movies for free on torrent and cop the quality loss rather than support the c*nts in Hollywood. :evil: :twisted:

blucy
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby blucy » 20 Apr 2013 15:04

I've also wasted much time trying to get VLC to play BDs. Then I bought Macgo Mac Blu-ray Player for Mac (was on offer on Christmas, licenses for 4 Macs for about £20/$30). No problems at all.

jwb1979
New Cone
New Cone

Postby jwb1979 » 20 Apr 2013 16:03

Try this one.
http://www.bluraycopys.com/free-mac-blu-ray-player/

I have my entire main hard drive backed up to another internal drive. The backup drive has VLC 2.0.5 and all the keys and libraries installed. I booted up the backup drive and it still gave me the exact same error!!! The only conclusion I can draw is that the keys/certificates are out of date??

Jean-Baptiste Kempf
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Postby Jean-Baptiste Kempf » 20 Apr 2013 16:39

Probably, yes.
Jean-Baptiste Kempf

xrayos
New Cone
New Cone

Postby xrayos » 20 Apr 2013 21:31

The only way I was able to get makemkv to work was to extract ONLY the movie and not the whole disc. After that vlc will play it just fine.

with hard drives so cheap these days, I'm thinking about just storing the entire blu-ray on HD and not bother with handbrake

jwb1979
New Cone
New Cone

Postby jwb1979 » 21 Apr 2013 16:33

Does anyone know where I can find an updated keys database and AACS dynamic library for VLC? Apparently, the one I downloaded from http://vlc-bluray.whoknowsmy.name/ doesn't work anymore.

SimonM
New Cone
New Cone

Postby SimonM » 24 Apr 2013 12:36

No luck here.

I don't know how AACS works but it seems that everyone who was using the keys from whoknowsmy.name are finding them to no longer work. According to that site they were last updated just over a year ago so I guess it means they were set to expire and require updating annually.

At least I feel some comfort in the problem being not just me. Hopefully there'll be a fix eventually but until there is I refuse to purchase any more Blu Rays with DRM. I can't understand the logic of Hollywood where they implement draconian restrictions that actually discourage sales. If I buy a movie I expect to have the right to convert it to a form that is suitable for digital media libraries and playback on various portable devices, just like I do for CDs and DVDs. I also expect to not have to repurchase Blu Rays because the original discs become damaged from normal use over time.

Surely there are other ways of encouraging honesty that are more carrot and less stick and don't involve completely f*cking your customers, discouraging sales and pushing people towards file sharing.

Return to “VLC media player for macOS Troubleshooting”