Applescript for VLC

macOS specific usage questions
PJWilson
New Cone
New Cone

Applescript for VLC

Postby PJWilson » 11 Aug 2005 18:39

Dear Anyone,
I would appreciate any advice that you could give regarding scripting of VLC. I apologise if this has already been addressed elsewhere, but I did a quick search and couldn't find a relevant post...

I have written a Script to run several video streams in sync, and although I intially designed it to work through Quicktime, QT doesn't seem to be able to handle some Video_TS folders (seems to have problems with the timecodes, and skips through a 2-hour video in about 45 secs).
VLC handles thesse files beautifully, but I am unable to do more than control stop/start. Is it possible to forward/rewind VLC video? And how to obtain a unified timescale for the entire Video_TS folder? (At the moment, VLC only displays the time for each .VOB file) And lastly, even the timecodes on these videos appear to be wrong: the video plays fine, but the time counter in VLC progresses about 0.4x the correct rate (i.e. for every 10secs of real time that passes, the time counter on VLC measures only 4 secs, but the video runs at normal speed, so that a video that last 10 minutes will only have a time counter of 4mins on VLC).
Does this make sense? Any ideas how to solve? Many thanks in advance for any suggestions.
Peter.

fkuehne
Developer
Developer
VLC version: 0.4.6 - present
Operating System: Darwin

Re: Applescript for VLC

Postby fkuehne » 12 Aug 2005 16:07

Well, VLC's applescript capabilities are not very good at the moment. It is on the global and my personal TODO-list, but I doubt that I'll have time for that until early October, so it won't even made it for the 0.8.4 release (which is currently in preparation).
If you got a bit knowledge of Objective-C / Xcode and especially the so-called "key-value-coding", it shouldn't be that worse for you to do the re-implementation yourself ;) We would be glad to help there.

About the incorrect timing. That's something which is broken in VLC quite often (for multiple reasons). AFAIK, it is quite good in 0.8.2, but perhaps the fixes were added to the 0.8.4 branch only so you might want to download a nightly build and try it on your own.
VideoLAN
Felix Paul Kühne
Medic. VLC developer for appleOS since before you were born.
Blog: https://www.feepk.net

Postby Guest » 12 Aug 2005 16:21

Thanks for the reply.
If I was a capable programmer, I would certainly undertake it, but I am a surgeon by trade, and writing the applescript has already stretched my meagre computing abilities.
I will certainly investigate the potential fix to the incorrect timing.
Any ideas how to add up the times of the preceding VOB's so that the correct current time is extracted (i.e. Time point 00:02:00 in VTS_01_3.VOB is actually 00:30:10 into the whole DVD)?

mackaveli

Postby mackaveli » 13 Aug 2005 19:26

Dear Anyone,
I would appreciate any advice that you could give regarding scripting of VLC. I apologise if this has already been addressed elsewhere, but I did a quick search and couldn't find a relevant post...

I have written a Script to run several video streams in sync, and although I intially designed it to work through Quicktime, QT doesn't seem to be able to handle some Video_TS folders (seems to have problems with the timecodes, and skips through a 2-hour video in about 45 secs).
VLC handles thesse files beautifully, but I am unable to do more than control stop/start. Is it possible to forward/rewind VLC video? And how to obtain a unified timescale for the entire Video_TS folder? (At the moment, VLC only displays the time for each .VOB file) And lastly, even the timecodes on these videos appear to be wrong: the video plays fine, but the time counter in VLC progresses about 0.4x the correct rate (i.e. for every 10secs of real time that passes, the time counter on VLC measures only 4 secs, but the video runs at normal speed, so that a video that last 10 minutes will only have a time counter of 4mins on VLC).
Does this make sense? Any ideas how to solve? Many thanks in advance for any suggestions.
Peter.
hey quick question about scripting cause i am totally clueless with scripting and how it works.

My question is, is it possible to write a script so that quicktime plays an audio file while VLC plays a video file and they play at the exact same time so they are in sync? if so would it be easy to write or hard? thanks

fkuehne
Developer
Developer
VLC version: 0.4.6 - present
Operating System: Darwin

Postby fkuehne » 14 Aug 2005 17:40

That's impossible and there is no way to make such an obscure thing possible.
VideoLAN
Felix Paul Kühne
Medic. VLC developer for appleOS since before you were born.
Blog: https://www.feepk.net

Return to “VLC media player for macOS Troubleshooting”