subtitles

macOS specific usage questions
ronidee
New Cone
New Cone

subtitles

Postby ronidee » 04 Jun 2012 17:16

Hi all, this is my first post, I'm 72 had a series of strokes (not looking for sympathy just a little patience if I cock up). I am using: mac v 10.6.8 Snow leopard (I can't get on with Lion) 2.4 Ghz Intel core 2 duo. 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM. My VLC is:Version 2.0.1 Twoflower (Intel 64bit). My problem is (and I use VLC all the time) I just downloaded an .mkv film and I can't get any subtitles to show anywhere, within VLC or otherwise and I did convert with another video converter to .avi. I'm aware about advertising, so I hope I'm not with my next statement, I download torrents into Miro and I can see and use subtitles (English), can you help me to find (if they are there) subs in VLC. I hope I've done this right or I'll have to commit Hari-Kari with a rusty bread knife. Thanks for a *Great* app. Ron :-)

nkoriyama
Cone that earned his stripes
Cone that earned his stripes
VLC version: git
Operating System: Windows / Mac OS X

Re: subtitles

Postby nkoriyama » 04 Jun 2012 22:53

If the MKV has subtitles tracks, you can choose subtitles track by selecting the menu bar: Video -> Subtitles Track.
Or pressing "S" key to cycle subtitles track.
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
My hack for ISDB-T http://sdrv.ms/126weue

ronidee
New Cone
New Cone

Postby ronidee » 05 Jun 2012 14:27

Hi, thanks for the reply, all subtitle boxes are greyed out (in VLC)and I can't use them but any other advice is welcome and I'll try. Cheers. Ron :-)

ronidee
New Cone
New Cone

Postby ronidee » 05 Jun 2012 14:57

Hi again,this time it's to say sorry, your suggestion worked nkorlyama, I just applied it incorrectly. Also I noticed where you posted from and I hope my quip about Hari-Kari did not offend you or any body else, if so, It was not intended to and I'll think more in future. Thanks again for the fix. Ron

Return to “VLC media player for macOS Troubleshooting”