macOS specific usage questions
fkuehne
Developer
Developer
VLC version: 0.4.6 - present
Operating System: Darwin

Re: VLC mixes up my 5.1 sound channels

Postby fkuehne » 26 Dec 2011 23:54

I don't have access to any usb-based audio devices, so these are pretty much untested. All I can say is that HDMI and TosLink works correctly, whereas HDMI just shares the way we have to write the code (same API) and is personally untested as well.

Could you please describe the issue you encounter more in detail and make sure that you are using VLC 1.1.12. VLC 1.1.11 won't work on Lion.
VideoLAN
Felix Paul Kühne
Medic. VLC developer for appleOS since before you were born.
Blog: https://www.feepk.net

ipodboy

Postby ipodboy » 30 Dec 2011 18:03

Hi,
I just got my Bose Companion 5 speakers as a christmas gift…I'm using OS X Lion (10.7.2).
I have some .avi-files with DolbyDigital 5.1 oder even mkv-files with DTS-sound. When I play these files with VLC (1.1.12 and I also tried 1.2 rc1) the center-sound or the voice in general is only coming out of the left speaker, same like some users reported earlier in this forum. The settings in "Audio-Midi-Setup" are correct (5.1 surround) and when I connect the MacBook Pro via HDMI to a Denon-Amp DD and DTS works fine (as Felix wrote above).
Has somebody already a fix for that?
Thanks an a good start in 2012 ;-)
Greetings from Germany, ipodboy

stuedma
New Cone
New Cone

Postby stuedma » 01 Jan 2012 13:21

Hi all,

Just wanted to mention I am having the exact same problem, maybe if enough people raise this a fix will be built. My center channel is going to the back left surround speaker, just like other people are experiencing. Also have no sound coming from subwoofer. Using a new Mac Mini with the latest OS, Marantz SR5005 reveiver. Not having this problem with any other audio sources, either hardware or software. THought I was going crazy for a while. Very frustrating as I love VLC, but will have to look for alternative players until this gets fixed.

Happy New Year!

-max

ipodboy

Postby ipodboy » 22 Jan 2012 18:57

Won't or can't anybody help us? Please, cause our actual soundoutput is no pleasure ;-( Thanks

jamesapp
New Cone
New Cone

Postby jamesapp » 03 Feb 2012 16:43

Hello,

I am having similar problems. I am new to surround sound in general, and with my set up, so far vlc has been the closest to get 5.1 output working on my system.

I have vlc 1.1.12, on a MacBook pro(newer model) running Mac os x 10.7.2 lion. I also have a creative USB soundblaster x-fi model sb1090, external sound card. I put in a DVD of the tv show 'mission impossible' and in the set up menu of the DVD the audio is set up for 5.1 surround sound. I have my speakers configured in audio/midi setup.

But when I played the movie the right rear speaker had talking coming out of it, and the left rear was silent. Almost the exact discription in the first post.

Just thought I would add my set up and problem to the thread. For the past couple of days I have been trying to get my set up to work. Didn't have any luck in other Mac applications like iTunes, DVD player, quick time etc. vlc has been the closest I have got. But it isn't quite right.

DigitallyCrazy
New Cone
New Cone

Postby DigitallyCrazy » 03 Feb 2012 19:57

Just updated to OSX 10.7.3 using the combo updater (http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1484) and VLC is happy again: Bose Companion 5 channels are no longer switched around! It's so nice to hear stuff in surround again instead of down-mixed to stereo like I've been doing with XBMC. Check it out, maybe it'll work for you.

jamesapp
New Cone
New Cone

Postby jamesapp » 03 Feb 2012 23:41

Just updated to OSX 10.7.3 using the combo updater (http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1484) and VLC is happy again: Bose Companion 5 channels are no longer switched around! It's so nice to hear stuff in surround again instead of down-mixed to stereo like I've been doing with XBMC. Check it out, maybe it'll work for you.
digitallycrazy,

Thanks for the heads up about the update. I now have surround sound with vlc!

Jean-Baptiste Kempf
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
VLC version: 4.0.0-git
Operating System: Linux, Windows, Mac

Postby Jean-Baptiste Kempf » 06 Feb 2012 18:03

So the issue is fixed in X.7.3?
Jean-Baptiste Kempf
http://www.jbkempf.com/ - http://www.jbkempf.com/blog/category/Videolan
VLC media player developer, VideoLAN President and Sites administrator
If you want an answer to your question, just be specific and precise. Don't use Private Messages.

ipodboy

Postby ipodboy » 13 Feb 2012 14:10

Yes, think so!
I recognized that the voice is now coming from "the middle", means out of the centerspeaker! I couldn't explain to me why, cause I didn't changed the setup! A few days ago I installed 10.7.3 and if you say that this helps you, it might be the explanation why I don't have problems any more! I can now enjoy 5.1 "Surround"-Sound with my Bose Companion 5 and VLC 2.0 …

Have fun!

mibweb
New Cone
New Cone

Postby mibweb » 07 Apr 2012 23:17

for me the issue is still here, with 7.3... :(

christian sternell
New Cone
New Cone

Postby christian sternell » 04 Jun 2012 20:10

Could you please describe the issue you encounter more in detail and make sure that you are using VLC 1.1.12. VLC 1.1.11 won't work on Lion.
Hello Felix Paul,

This is my experience of this problem.
I've been using VLC 2.0.1 for some time with my 7.1 setup. I use HDMI and it worked before I upgraded my Lion OS to 10.7.4. What I experience after that upgrade is this:

First, I got no audio at all. So I cranked down the Format in MIDI setup from 192kHz to 96kHz and got my 7.1 audio back in VLC. But it turns out that the center audio comes from the surround left speaker. I haven't tried any other errors yet, the center playing wrong is so obvious that it obfuscates all other audio.

If I try and "configure speakers" in the MIDI setup, I notice that the white noise that is generated, comes from the correct speakers in my "7.1 rear surround" setup.

Now, if I use "Configure speakers" and choose a 5.1 setup, the audio comes from the correct speakers in VLC. Except the two back speakers, of course, they are silent.

If you need me to try something out or test a certain use-case, just send me a pm and we can have a chat about it. Have you got a bug entry for this?

Thanks,
Christian

christian sternell
New Cone
New Cone

Postby christian sternell » 04 Jun 2012 22:10

I downloaded DTS HD-Master Audio Sound Check 7.1 (Lossless) from http://www.demo-world.eu/trailers/high- ... ailers.php to see if there are more channels that have gone wrong. Oh yes.
Channel Plays as
L________L
R________R
C________SL
SR_______none
SL_______C
SBR______none
SBL______C
LFE______SR

fkuehne
Developer
Developer

Postby fkuehne » 05 Jun 2012 09:46

Hi Christian,

we haven't heard about this particular problem yet, which is mostly likely due to the fact that the vast majority of our users doesn't have a 7.1 setup, but a 5.1 only (same for me, actually).

I fear that this issue is due to a bug in 10.7.4. I'll file a bug at Apple and I'll see if I get a suitable response.

Thanks for reporting!
VideoLAN
Felix Paul Kühne

fkuehne
Developer
Developer

Postby fkuehne » 05 Jun 2012 09:50

uhm, for the bug report, could you do me a favor and paste the content of the messages panel here? please reset your preferences in the Midi utility to the original values first, which used to work on 10.7.3. Note that copy & paste from the messages panel won't work. Just save the stuff as a rtfd file and paste its contents here.

Thanks a lot!
VideoLAN
Felix Paul Kühne

christian sternell
New Cone
New Cone

Postby christian sternell » 05 Jun 2012 23:08

uhm, for the bug report, could you do me a favor and paste the content of the messages panel here? please reset your preferences in the Midi utility to the original values first, which used to work on 10.7.3. Note that copy & paste from the messages panel won't work. Just save the stuff as a rtfd file and paste its contents here.

Thanks a lot!
Hello Felix Paul,

I tried it, but I think I did it wrong. I Started the console, reset the settings to the old values and two new messages came along;

6/5/12 10:57:44.130 PM Audio MIDI Setup stream data dictionary: {
65 = 1;
}
6/5/12 10:57:44.131 PM Audio MIDI Setup sorted streams: (
)

If this isn't what you need, please let me know and I'll redo it.

Best regards,
Christian

fkuehne
Developer
Developer

Postby fkuehne » 07 Jun 2012 02:29

Hey Christian,

indeed, I need something different. add a file with a 7.1 audio track to the playlist. Hit play and pause it as soon as it plays (as in: the time counter is running). Go to Window -> Messages. With that newly appearing window, click save and paste the contents of the text file here.

Thanks!
VideoLAN
Felix Paul Kühne

masw
New Cone
New Cone

Postby masw » 21 Aug 2012 05:29

Hi everyone,

Problem reoccured for me with the same symptoms after installation of Mac OS X Mountain Lion. Downloaded the combo update but it wouldn't install it as it was for the previous version of OS X.

Any help would be appreciated.

Marc

blirette
New Cone
New Cone

Postby blirette » 25 Oct 2012 14:48

Got the same issue. I have an iMac mid-2011 with a Logix MDP to HDMI adapter. The rear left channel seems to output the front speaker. I'll try to add my OS and VLC version and other details later as I'm at work atm.

Thanks for the help!

christian sternell
New Cone
New Cone

Postby christian sternell » 03 Dec 2012 21:15

indeed, I need something different.
Hi Felix,

Sorry for the late reply. Here is the log:
main debug: using interface module "macosx"
main debug: TIMER module_need() : 79.792 ms - Total 79.792 ms / 1 intvls (Avg 79.792 ms)
main debug: playlist threads correctly activated
main debug: rebuilding array of current - root Playlist
main debug: rebuild done - 0 items, index -1
macosx debug: using future AR cookies
main debug: looking for services probe module: 5 candidates
main debug: no services probe module matching "any" could be loaded
main debug: TIMER module_need() : 3.462 ms - Total 3.462 ms / 1 intvls (Avg 3.462 ms)
main debug: looking for extension module: 1 candidate
lua debug: Opening Lua Extension module
lua debug: Trying Lua scripts in /Users/christian/Library/Application Support/org.videolan.vlc/lua/extensions
lua debug: Trying Lua scripts in /Applications/VLC.app/Contents/MacOS/share/lua/extensions
lua debug: Trying Lua scripts in /Applications/VLC.app/Contents/MacOS/share/share/lua/extensions
main debug: using extension module "lua"
main debug: TIMER module_need() : 0.211 ms - Total 0.211 ms / 1 intvls (Avg 0.211 ms)
main debug: adding item `hd_dts_hd_master_audio_sound_check_7_1_lossless.m2ts' ( file:///Volumes/media/Movies/z%20reference/hd_dts_hd_master_audio_sound_check_7_1_lossless.m2ts )
main debug: Creating an input for 'hd_dts_hd_master_audio_sound_check_7_1_lossless.m2ts'
main debug: rebuilding array of current - root Playlist
main debug: rebuild done - 1 items, index -1
main debug: processing request item: hd_dts_hd_master_audio_sound_check_7_1_lossless.m2ts, node: Playlist, skip: 0
main debug: resyncing on hd_dts_hd_master_audio_sound_check_7_1_lossless.m2ts
main debug: hd_dts_hd_master_audio_sound_check_7_1_lossless.m2ts is at 0
main debug: starting playback of the new playlist item
main debug: resyncing on hd_dts_hd_master_audio_sound_check_7_1_lossless.m2ts
main debug: hd_dts_hd_master_audio_sound_check_7_1_lossless.m2ts is at 0
main debug: creating new input thread
main debug: Creating an input for 'hd_dts_hd_master_audio_sound_check_7_1_lossless.m2ts'
main debug: using timeshift granularity of 50 MiB, in path '/tmp'
main debug: `file:///Volumes/media/Movies/z%20reference/hd_dts_hd_master_audio_sound_check_7_1_lossless.m2ts' gives access `file' demux `' path `/Volumes/media/Movies/z%20reference/hd_dts_hd_master_audio_sound_check_7_1_lossless.m2ts'
main debug: creating demux: access='file' demux='' location='/Volumes/media/Movies/z%20reference/hd_dts_hd_master_audio_sound_check_7_1_lossless.m2ts' file='/Volumes/media/Movies/z reference/hd_dts_hd_master_audio_sound_check_7_1_lossless.m2ts'
main debug: looking for access_demux module: 3 candidates
main debug: no access_demux module matching "file" could be loaded
main debug: TIMER module_need() : 0.520 ms - Total 0.520 ms / 1 intvls (Avg 0.520 ms)
main debug: creating access 'file' location='/Volumes/media/Movies/z%20reference/hd_dts_hd_master_audio_sound_check_7_1_lossless.m2ts', path='/Volumes/media/Movies/z reference/hd_dts_hd_master_audio_sound_check_7_1_lossless.m2ts'
main debug: looking for access module: 3 candidates
filesystem debug: opening file `/Volumes/media/Movies/z reference/hd_dts_hd_master_audio_sound_check_7_1_lossless.m2ts'
main debug: using access module "filesystem"
main debug: TIMER module_need() : 0.123 ms - Total 0.123 ms / 1 intvls (Avg 0.123 ms)
main debug: Using stream method for AStream*
main debug: starting pre-buffering
main debug: received first data after 0 ms
main debug: pre-buffering done 1024 bytes in 0s - 1515 KiB/s
main debug: looking for stream_filter module: 7 candidates
main debug: no stream_filter module matching "any" could be loaded
main debug: TIMER module_need() : 0.077 ms - Total 0.077 ms / 1 intvls (Avg 0.077 ms)
main debug: looking for stream_filter module: 1 candidate
main debug: using stream_filter module "stream_filter_record"
main debug: TIMER module_need() : 0.120 ms - Total 0.120 ms / 1 intvls (Avg 0.120 ms)
main debug: creating demux: access='file' demux='' location='/Volumes/media/Movies/z%20reference/hd_dts_hd_master_audio_sound_check_7_1_lossless.m2ts' file='/Volumes/media/Movies/z reference/hd_dts_hd_master_audio_sound_check_7_1_lossless.m2ts'
main debug: looking for demux module: 55 candidates
mod debug: MOD validation failed (ext=m2ts)
ts warning: lost synchro
ts debug: skipping 4 bytes of garbage
ts debug: skipping 120 bytes of garbage
ts debug: skipping 44 bytes of garbage
ts debug: skipping 160 bytes of garbage
ts debug: skipping 84 bytes of garbage
ts debug: skipping 8 bytes of garbage
macosx debug: Found 1 capture devices
ts debug: skipping 124 bytes of garbage
ts debug: skipping 48 bytes of garbage
ts debug: skipping 164 bytes of garbage
ts debug: skipping 88 bytes of garbage
ts debug: pid[256] unknown
ts debug: pid[31] unknown
ts debug: pid[4097] unknown
ts debug: pid[4113] unknown
ts debug: pid[4352] unknown
main debug: no fetch required for (null) (art currently (null))
ts debug: PATCallBack called
ts debug: new PAT ts_id=0 version=0 current_next=1
ts debug: * number=0 pid=31
ts debug: * number=1 pid=256
ts debug: PMTCallBack called
ts debug: new PMT program number=1 version=0 pid_pcr=4097
ts debug: * descriptor : registration HDMV
ts debug: * descriptor : unknown (0x88)
ts debug: * es pid=4113 type=27 dr->i_tag=0x5
ts debug: * es pid=4113 type=27 fcc=h264
main debug: selecting program id=1
ts debug: * es pid=4352 type=134 fcc=dts
filesystem warning: unimplemented query 4097 in control
main debug: using demux module "ts"
main debug: TIMER module_need() : 2282.167 ms - Total 2282.167 ms / 1 intvls (Avg 2282.167 ms)
main debug: looking for a subtitle file in /Volumes/media/Movies/z reference/
main debug: looking for decoder module: 32 candidates
avcodec debug: libavcodec initialized (interface 0x361e00)
avcodec debug: trying to use direct rendering
avcodec debug: allowing 4 thread(s) for decoding
avcodec debug: ffmpeg codec (H264 - MPEG-4 AVC (part 10)) started
avcodec debug: using frame thread mode with 4 threads
main debug: using decoder module "avcodec"
main debug: TIMER module_need() : 6.367 ms - Total 6.367 ms / 1 intvls (Avg 6.367 ms)
main debug: looking for packetizer module: 21 candidates
main debug: using packetizer module "packetizer_h264"
main debug: TIMER module_need() : 0.674 ms - Total 0.674 ms / 1 intvls (Avg 0.674 ms)
main debug: looking for decoder module: 32 candidates
main debug: using decoder module "dts"
main debug: TIMER module_need() : 0.135 ms - Total 0.135 ms / 1 intvls (Avg 0.135 ms)
ts debug: DEMUX_SET_GROUP 0 0x0
main debug: looking for meta reader module: 2 candidates
lua debug: Trying Lua scripts in /Users/christian/Library/Application Support/org.videolan.vlc/lua/meta/reader
lua debug: Trying Lua scripts in /Applications/VLC.app/Contents/MacOS/share/lua/meta/reader
lua debug: Trying Lua playlist script /Applications/VLC.app/Contents/MacOS/share/lua/meta/reader/filename.lua
lua debug: Trying Lua scripts in /Applications/VLC.app/Contents/MacOS/share/share/lua/meta/reader
main debug: no meta reader module matching "any" could be loaded
main debug: TIMER module_need() : 0.628 ms - Total 0.628 ms / 1 intvls (Avg 0.628 ms)
main debug: `file:///Volumes/media/Movies/z%20reference/hd_dts_hd_master_audio_sound_check_7_1_lossless.m2ts' successfully opened
macosx debug: prevented sleep through IOKit (300)
ts warning: first packet for pid=4352 cc=0x4
dts: DTS channels:6 samplerate:48000 bitrate:1536000
main debug: creating audio output
main debug: looking for audio output module: 1 candidate
main debug: VLC is looking for: 'dts ' 48000 Hz 3F2R/LFE frame=512 samples/2048 bytes
auhal debug: found 4 audio device(s)
auhal debug: DevID: 54 DevName: Built-in Microphone
auhal debug: this device is INPUT only. skipping...
auhal debug: DevID: 44 DevName: Built-in Input
auhal debug: this device is INPUT only. skipping...
auhal debug: DevID: 34 DevName: Built-in Output
auhal debug: found 16 stream formats
auhal debug: supported format: [96000.000000][mcpl][4][8][1][8][2][24]
auhal debug: supported format: [88200.000000][mcpl][4][8][1][8][2][24]
auhal debug: supported format: [48000.000000][mcpl][4][8][1][8][2][24]
auhal debug: supported format: [44100.000000][mcpl][4][8][1][8][2][24]
auhal debug: supported format: [96000.000000][mcpl][4][8][1][8][2][20]
auhal debug: supported format: [88200.000000][mcpl][4][8][1][8][2][20]
auhal debug: supported format: [48000.000000][mcpl][4][8][1][8][2][20]
auhal debug: supported format: [44100.000000][mcpl][4][8][1][8][2][20]
auhal debug: supported format: [96000.000000][mcpl][12][4][1][4][2][16]
auhal debug: supported format: [88200.000000][mcpl][12][4][1][4][2][16]
auhal debug: supported format: [48000.000000][mcpl][12][4][1][4][2][16]
auhal debug: supported format: [44100.000000][mcpl][12][4][1][4][2][16]
auhal debug: supported format: [96000.000000][mcpl][9][8][1][8][2][32]
auhal debug: supported format: [88200.000000][mcpl][9][8][1][8][2][32]
auhal debug: supported format: [48000.000000][mcpl][9][8][1][8][2][32]
auhal debug: supported format: [44100.000000][mcpl][9][8][1][8][2][32]
auhal debug: DevID: 64 DevName: HDMI
auhal debug: found 26 stream formats
auhal debug: supported format: [192000.000000][mcpl][4][32][1][32][8][24]
auhal debug: supported format: [176400.000000][mcpl][4][32][1][32][8][24]
auhal debug: supported format: [96000.000000][mcpl][4][32][1][32][8][24]
auhal debug: supported format: [88200.000000][mcpl][4][32][1][32][8][24]
auhal debug: supported format: [48000.000000][mcpl][4][32][1][32][8][24]
auhal debug: supported format: [44100.000000][mcpl][4][32][1][32][8][24]
auhal debug: supported format: [32000.000000][mcpl][4][32][1][32][8][24]
auhal debug: supported format: [192000.000000][mcpl][4][32][1][32][8][20]
auhal debug: supported format: [176400.000000][mcpl][4][32][1][32][8][20]
auhal debug: supported format: [96000.000000][mcpl][4][32][1][32][8][20]
auhal debug: supported format: [88200.000000][mcpl][4][32][1][32][8][20]
auhal debug: supported format: [48000.000000][mcpl][4][32][1][32][8][20]
auhal debug: supported format: [44100.000000][mcpl][4][32][1][32][8][20]
auhal debug: supported format: [32000.000000][mcpl][4][32][1][32][8][20]
auhal debug: supported format: [192000.000000][mcpl][12][16][1][16][8][16]
auhal debug: supported format: [176400.000000][mcpl][12][16][1][16][8][16]
auhal debug: supported format: [96000.000000][mcpl][12][16][1][16][8][16]
auhal debug: supported format: [88200.000000][mcpl][12][16][1][16][8][16]
auhal debug: supported format: [48000.000000][mcpl][12][4][1][4][2][16]
auhal debug: supported format: [48000.000000][mcpl][12][16][1][16][8][16]
auhal debug: supported format: [44100.000000][mcpl][12][4][1][4][2][16]
auhal debug: supported format: [44100.000000][mcpl][12][16][1][16][8][16]
auhal debug: supported format: [32000.000000][mcpl][12][4][1][4][2][16]
auhal debug: supported format: [32000.000000][mcpl][12][16][1][16][8][16]
auhal debug: supported format: [48000.000000][3cac][76][6144][1536][0][2][16]
auhal debug: supported format: [44100.000000][3cac][76][6144][1536][0][2][16]
auhal debug: using preselected output device 0x40
auhal debug: current format is: [44100.000000][mcpl][41][4][1][4][2][32]
auhal debug: layout of AUHAL has 8 channels
auhal debug: this is channel: 1
auhal debug: this is channel: 2
auhal debug: this is channel: 33
auhal debug: this is channel: 6
auhal debug: this is channel: 3
auhal debug: this is channel: 34
auhal debug: this is channel: 5
auhal debug: this is channel: 4
auhal debug: selected 8 physical channels for device output
auhal debug: VLC will output: 3F2M2R/LFE
auhal debug: we set the AU format: [48000.000000][mcpl][9][32][1][32][8][32]
auhal debug: the actual set AU format is [48000.000000][mcpl][9][32][1][32][8][32]
auhal debug: analog output successfully opened
main debug: using audio output module "auhal"
main debug: TIMER module_need() : 13.696 ms - Total 13.696 ms / 1 intvls (Avg 13.696 ms)
main debug: output 'f32l' 48000 Hz 3F2M2R/LFE frame=1 samples/32 bytes
main debug: mixer 'f32l' 48000 Hz 3F2M2R/LFE frame=1 samples/32 bytes
main debug: filter(s) 'f32l'->'f32l' 48000 Hz->48000 Hz 3F2M2R/LFE->3F2M2R/LFE
main debug: conversion pipeline completed
main debug: looking for audio mixer module: 2 candidates
main debug: using audio mixer module "float32_mixer"
main debug: TIMER module_need() : 0.397 ms - Total 0.397 ms / 1 intvls (Avg 0.397 ms)
main debug: input 'dts ' 48000 Hz 3F2R/LFE frame=512 samples/2048 bytes
main debug: looking for audio filter module: 1 candidate
scaletempo debug: format: 48000 rate, 8 nch, 4 bps, fl32
scaletempo debug: params: 30 stride, 0.200 overlap, 14 search
scaletempo debug: 1.000 scale, 1440.000 stride_in, 1440 stride_out, 1152 standing, 288 overlap, 672 search, 2400 queue, fl32 mode
main debug: using audio filter module "scaletempo"
main debug: TIMER module_need() : 0.351 ms - Total 0.351 ms / 1 intvls (Avg 0.351 ms)
main debug: filter(s) 'dts '->'f32l' 48000 Hz->48000 Hz 3F2R/LFE->3F2M2R/LFE
main debug: looking for audio filter module: 12 candidates
dtstofloat32 warning: unknown sample format!
main debug: no audio filter module matching "any" could be loaded
main debug: TIMER module_need() : 2.146 ms - Total 2.146 ms / 1 intvls (Avg 2.146 ms)
main debug: using audio filter module "trivial_channel_mixer"
main debug: TIMER module_need() : 0.070 ms - Total 0.070 ms / 1 intvls (Avg 0.070 ms)
main debug: using audio filter module "dtstofloat32"
main debug: TIMER module_need() : 0.107 ms - Total 0.107 ms / 1 intvls (Avg 0.107 ms)
main debug: filter(s) 'f32l'->'f32l' 48000 Hz->48000 Hz 3F2M2R/LFE->3F2M2R/LFE
main debug: filter(s) 'f32l'->'f32l' 52800 Hz->48000 Hz 3F2M2R/LFE->3F2M2R/LFE
main debug: using audio filter module "ugly_resampler"
main debug: TIMER module_need() : 0.068 ms - Total 0.068 ms / 1 intvls (Avg 0.068 ms)
main debug: End of audio preroll
packetizer_h264 warning: waiting for SPS/PPS
main debug: Buffering 0%
macosx debug: no optical media found
main debug: Buffering 9%
main debug: Buffering 18%
main debug: Buffering 26%
main debug: Buffering 36%
main debug: Buffering 45%
main debug: Buffering 53%
main debug: Buffering 63%
main debug: Buffering 72%
main debug: Buffering 80%
packetizer_h264 debug: found NAL_SPS (sps_id=0)
packetizer_h264 debug: found NAL_PPS (pps_id=0 sps_id=0)
packetizer_h264 debug: Seen SEI recovery point, 0 recovery frames
main debug: Buffering 90%
packetizer_h264 debug: Recovery from SEI recovery point complete
main debug: looking for text renderer module: 3 candidates
freetype debug: looking for Arial Unicode MS
freetype debug: found /Library/Fonts/Arial Unicode.ttf
freetype debug: Using Arial Unicode MS as font from file /Library/Fonts/Arial Unicode.ttf
freetype debug: using fontsize: 2
main debug: using text renderer module "freetype"
main debug: TIMER module_need() : 2.242 ms - Total 2.242 ms / 1 intvls (Avg 2.242 ms)
main debug: looking for video filter2 module: 15 candidates
swscale debug: 32x32 chroma: YUVA -> 16x16 chroma: RGBA with scaling using Bicubic (good quality)
main debug: using video filter2 module "swscale"
main debug: TIMER module_need() : 0.742 ms - Total 0.742 ms / 1 intvls (Avg 0.742 ms)
main debug: looking for video filter2 module: 15 candidates
yuvp debug: YUVP to YUVA converter
main debug: using video filter2 module "yuvp"
main debug: TIMER module_need() : 1.927 ms - Total 1.927 ms / 1 intvls (Avg 1.927 ms)
main debug: Deinterlacing available
main debug: deinterlace 0, mode blend, is_needed 0
main debug: Opening vout display wrapper
main debug: looking for vout display module: 1 candidate
vout_macosx debug: Quartz Extreme acceleration is active
main debug: looking for vout window nsobject module: 1 candidate
macosx debug: returning videoview with x=0, y=36, width=1920, height=909
main debug: using vout window nsobject module "macosx"
main debug: TIMER module_need() : 2.948 ms - Total 2.948 ms / 1 intvls (Avg 2.948 ms)
macosx debug: releasing sleep blocker (300)
macosx debug: prevented sleep through IOKit (300)
main debug: VoutDisplayEvent 'resize' 1920x1080 window
main debug: using vout display module "vout_macosx"
main debug: TIMER module_need() : 7.564 ms - Total 7.564 ms / 1 intvls (Avg 7.564 ms)
main debug: original format sz 1920x1080, of (0,0), vsz 1920x1080, 4cc I420, sar 1:1, msk r0x0 g0x0 b0x0
main debug: removing module "freetype"
main debug: looking for text renderer module: 3 candidates
freetype debug: Using Arial Unicode MS as font from file /Library/Fonts/Arial Unicode.ttf
freetype debug: using fontsize: 2
main debug: using text renderer module "freetype"
main debug: TIMER module_need() : 0.929 ms - Total 0.929 ms / 1 intvls (Avg 0.929 ms)
avcodec debug: using direct rendering
main debug: VoutDisplayEvent 'resize' 1920x909 window
main debug: Buffering 99%
main debug: Stream buffering done (1079 ms in 1069 ms)
main debug: Decoder buffering done in 0 ms
main debug: End of video preroll
main debug: Post-processing available
macosx debug: releasing sleep blocker (300)
I worked around this problem by not using the back speakers for a while :) But now my 11.1 system needs the back speakers so I just have to get this solved.

If you need any help with debugging, let me know. I have some free time up until Christmas.

And all you people writing in this thread about problems with the 5.1 setup: Yes, it is a bit dodgy, but one work-around that probably would solve your problem is to open the Audio MIDI setup (in Applications -> Utilities) and reconfigure your speakers.

Best regards,
Christian

fkuehne
Developer
Developer

Postby fkuehne » 05 Dec 2012 02:55

VLC identified 8 channels on your device, so 7.1 output. We don't really support this in the current versions. However, we just purchased a full 7.1 setup and will have a look at it during an internal code sprint next week, which specifically focuses on VLC's audio output. So, stay tuned for future releases!
VideoLAN
Felix Paul Kühne

christian sternell
New Cone
New Cone

Postby christian sternell » 05 Dec 2012 13:21

we just purchased a full 7.1 setup and will have a look at it during an internal code sprint next week
That sounds like 8-channel music to my ears!

I can recommend a couple of test files for you: Try downloading "DTS HD-Master Audio Sound Check 7.1 (Lossless)" from here: http://www.demo-world.eu/trailers/high- ... ailers.php and maybe also the audio files "7.1 and 5.1 PCM 24bit/48kHz test files" in the zip-file at the top of this page: http://www.jensign.com/bdp95/7dot1voiced/index.html .

Best,
Christian

christian sternell
New Cone
New Cone

Postby christian sternell » 05 Dec 2012 13:36

VLC identified 8 channels on your device, so 7.1 output.
Yeah, but the rear speaker audio is played through the surround speakers, so somewhere something thinks that the system is a 5.1 system. I also note that when I press ⌘i and check the audio stream under codec, it says 3F2R/LFE, which sounds a bit 5.1ish. But that may be the codec support or something, I guess.

Best,
Christian

Jean-Baptiste Kempf
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Postby Jean-Baptiste Kempf » 05 Dec 2012 14:18

we just purchased a full 7.1 setup and will have a look at it during an internal code sprint next week
That sounds like 8-channel music to my ears!

I can recommend a couple of test files for you: Try downloading "DTS HD-Master Audio Sound Check 7.1 (Lossless)" from here: http://www.demo-world.eu/trailers/high- ... ailers.php and maybe also the audio files "7.1 and 5.1 PCM 24bit/48kHz test files" in the zip-file at the top of this page: http://www.jensign.com/bdp95/7dot1voiced/index.html .

Best,
Christian
Those are next to impossible to download...
Jean-Baptiste Kempf
If you want an answer to your question, just be specific and precise. Don't use Private Messages.

christian sternell
New Cone
New Cone

Postby christian sternell » 05 Dec 2012 15:43

Those are next to impossible to download...
Yeah I know, but it _is_ possible :wink: . I believe they are some of the better ones out there. Let me know if you find something better, or in another format.

Christian

Jean-Baptiste Kempf
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Postby Jean-Baptiste Kempf » 05 Dec 2012 18:10

No way I spend hours for clicking and rejoining this mess.
Jean-Baptiste Kempf

Return to “VLC media player for macOS Troubleshooting”