Closing VLC truncates transcoded audio file

macOS specific usage questions
whiterainbow
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Closing VLC truncates transcoded audio file

Postby whiterainbow » 12 Apr 2012 18:48

I'm trying to transcode some audio from avi files into wav, and having trouble doing it. The transcode works fine and I get the wav file, which plays. But when I close VLC, it deletes the wav file (actually sets the size to 0 bytes) and it no longer plays. Can someone tell me what I'm doing wrong? Perhaps I have to close VLC and terminal etc. in a special order for this to work?

Here's my command line

/Applications/VLC.app/Contents/MacOS/VLC --no-sout-video --sout "#transcode{acodec=s16l,samplerate=44100}:std{mux=wav,access=file,dst=/Volumes/Storage/testfile.wav}" file_to_process.avi

Haravikk
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Re: Closing VLC truncates transcoded audio file

Postby Haravikk » 01 Sep 2012 19:34

I've been having the same problem since H.264 was (finally) fixed after being broken by v2.0.1. The only workaround really is to copy the file once you've finished transcoding, then close VLC and trash the original transcoded file (which will have been truncated).

e.g - if you save the new file as MyFile.mp4, copy it, so when you close VLC the copy is okay to use, and just throw away MyFile.mp4.

I don't want to bitch, but v2.0 has been pretty much a total write off for me; H.264 transcoding was broken for ages which meant I had to keep using v1.x since H.264 transcoding is pretty much all I wanted it to do. Now that it's finally working I thought I could make the switch to v2.0 but this truncation means that I have to either waste time creating a copy after each transcode, or end up accidentally throwing away the result of an hour long operation and having to then do it again. I really don't see how bugs like this are making it through testing, as actually getting a usable file at the end is a pretty big requirement for transcoding operations!

Return to “VLC media player for macOS Troubleshooting”