Buffer cache settings in VLC 2.0 for the Mac?

macOS specific usage questions
tomzer1
New Cone
New Cone

Buffer cache settings in VLC 2.0 for the Mac?

Postby tomzer1 » 18 Jan 2012 02:54

Hi, gang!

I just tried using VLC 2.0 on Mac OS X to get around the “green screen” problem when playing back some .MKV files. VLC 2.0’s updated codecs solve that problem just fine! It was able to playback a file that v.1.1.12 couldn’t play without getting the green screen.

I’d like to continue using 2.0, but I’ve run into a problem! Can anyone tell me where the buffer cache settings are in the program? I play my videos through my house over a WiFi network from a basement server, and I need to set a big buffer to handle HD files.

In VLC v1.1.12 in OS X, the Preferences area for setting the cache size is located in Preferences / All / Input Codecs / Access Modules / File.

But going to that same area in 2.0 you find that the settings “Caching value (ms)” and “Extra network caching value (ms)” are gone! Only “Subdirectory behavior” and “Ignored extensions” remain.

Are those settings currently missing in VLC 2.0 for the Mac, or are they just not in the current build? And if the ability to make those settings are in there, do any of you folks know where they are?

I’ve been through documentation and settings and can’t find anything yet.

Thank you from a stumped user! :?

///Tom///

fkuehne
Developer
Developer
VLC version: 0.4.6 - present
Operating System: Darwin

Re: Buffer cache settings in VLC 2.0 for the Mac?

Postby fkuehne » 18 Jan 2012 17:17

Yes, we moved that setting. You can find it in the top-level category "Input / Codecs" in the advanced preferences now. Just scroll down for a bit.

Additionally, you can also increase the buffer for all input methods in the "Input / Codecs" section of the simplified preferences.
VideoLAN
Felix Paul Kühne
Medic. VLC developer for appleOS since before you were born.
Blog: https://www.feepk.net

tomzer1
New Cone
New Cone

Postby tomzer1 » 18 Jan 2012 19:26

Than you very much for pointing me to where that option is, Paul! I'll play with 2.0 some more. I like it quite a bit so far.

///Tom///

TypX
Developer
Developer

Postby TypX » 18 Jan 2012 21:47

Beware there is still a known bug in mkv parser related to the caching duration. Each time you seek in the file you will lose audio for the duration of the caching. A fix is being written but may not be integrated for the release.

Return to “VLC media player for macOS Troubleshooting”