Audio Interface Issues

macOS specific usage questions
riontamer
New Cone
New Cone

Audio Interface Issues

Postby riontamer » 17 Nov 2011 01:02

Hi there,

Sorry if this is a bit odd. I have never had a problem with VLC's audio (in fact, I still don't, except for this...) If I run my audio straight from my Mac Mini's output to my speakers, I don't have a problem - I am running various avi's I know have audio and will work if plugged in like this. The audio in system preferences is then, in this case, set to 'Internal Speakers'. Recently, though, I purchased an audio interface for inputting XLR / TRS inputs for music (it is a Tascam US-144mkII) so I can plug in microphones, guitar plug, etc.

It connects via USB, and allows for a 'line out' to the speakers - with a knob that enables one to go from 'input' to 'computer' and mix in between. This is so if you want to hear the audio directly as it's being inputted for recording purposes, or if you want to hear the output direct from the speakers / phones. In either case, I have this set up as my main output now, and everything is outputting perfectly to it - Quicktime, random system sounds, youtube, et. al. However, when I start up movies in VLC, I get no audio whatsoever. What gives? Is it just not going to work or is there a workaround? When I go to devices, the US-144mkII is selected as it's output. Anything I should try? I've got time on my hands.

Also, just checked this with DVD's, still same problem. DVD player built into Mac OS X will play the audio from a DVD, though.

Thank you,

Ryan

fkuehne
Developer
Developer
VLC version: 0.4.6 - present
Operating System: Darwin

Re: Audio Interface Issues

Postby fkuehne » 21 Nov 2011 10:27

Hard to say what's wrong. Please make sure that you're using VLC 1.1.12, which includes quite a few internal audio output improvements. Additionally, post an excerpt from the log displayed in the "Messages" window (see "Window" menu).
VideoLAN
Felix Paul Kühne
Medic. VLC developer for appleOS since before you were born.
Blog: https://www.feepk.net

rphogue
New Cone
New Cone

Postby rphogue » 06 Dec 2011 02:31

I get a completely opposite problem - normal volume with almost all apps except VLC, but VLC seizes the ability of my audio interface to control volume, and there is only one volume - full blast. I am using Apogee Ensemble with a 5.1 surround setup, and their tech support states that there are many bugs that were introduced after version 1.0 of VLC that really don't play well with external audio interfaces.

fkuehne
Developer
Developer

Postby fkuehne » 05 Feb 2013 14:22

Hello,

I'd just like to announce that we will have support for TASCAM devices in VLC 2.1 coming later this spring :)

Thanks for your report!
VideoLAN
Felix Paul Kühne

tonybeatle
New Cone
New Cone

Postby tonybeatle » 02 Jul 2013 04:26

Where is this update for VLC 2.1 you said was coming in the spring. It's summer and tascam interfaces are still not working with VLC. I'm getting no sound. I've used VLC for years and just bought a Tascam US-1800 and would like to use it to watch movies. I hope there is an update soon.

fkuehne
Developer
Developer

Postby fkuehne » 02 Jul 2013 08:41

Hello,

Development took longer than expected (remember that VLC is developed by volunteers only). However, you can already get a Nightly Build of VLC to give it a try.
We intend to publish a first beta this week.
VideoLAN
Felix Paul Kühne

Zach Myers
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Zach Myers » 22 Jul 2013 01:48

Hello,

I am also using a Tascam-US-1800 and am having the exact same problems as everyone else in this forum. Does anyone know when will the new update for VLC become available?

Jean-Baptiste Kempf
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
VLC version: 4.0.0-git
Operating System: Linux, Windows, Mac

Postby Jean-Baptiste Kempf » 22 Jul 2013 11:50

Try VLC 2.1.0-pre1
Jean-Baptiste Kempf
http://www.jbkempf.com/ - http://www.jbkempf.com/blog/category/Videolan
VLC media player developer, VideoLAN President and Sites administrator
If you want an answer to your question, just be specific and precise. Don't use Private Messages.

Return to “VLC media player for macOS Troubleshooting”