Using snapshots in VLC to help Lightroom read .MTS files

macOS specific usage questions
heater
New Cone
New Cone

Using snapshots in VLC to help Lightroom read .MTS files

Postby heater » 25 Oct 2011 00:25

Many digital cameras create .MTS files, but these are notoriously difficult to manage in Adobe Lightroom in OS X due to Quicktime's lack of support for the format. But with the right VLC command line and the right plug-in I believe I can make Lightroom read .MTS files. So, here's the question:

--> How does one use the VLC command line to create a JPG snapshot of the first frame of an .MTS video, name it with the prefix of the video, and save it in the same folder as the video?

Example: if 00001.MTS is the name of the video, the snapshot would be 00001.jpg, and would be saved in the same folder as the video.

--> In addition, how can one do this on a batch of videos in a folder?

Thank you so much in advance for your time and knowledge.

crackstone
Blank Cone
Blank Cone
VLC version: 2.1.0-git
Operating System: Mac OS X

Re: Using snapshots in VLC to help Lightroom read .MTS files

Postby crackstone » 25 Oct 2011 13:21

Taking snapshots has been discussed some days ago here: viewtopic.php?f=12&t=95106
There I've put together complete working commands. Look at them, tweak them, it should work for your requirements as well.

You basically need to work with the scene filter and start-time and stop-time -> look into the console help for VLC there all the scene filter parameters are explained.
I don't have much time now, maybe I'll look into it later, but this should get you started.

//crackstone

heater
New Cone
New Cone

Re: Using snapshots in VLC to help Lightroom read .MTS files

Postby heater » 26 Oct 2011 20:16

Thx, crackstone. I'll walk through the commands and see what I get. Still curious about batching it: Having one command create images for an entire folder of videos. Once I get this to work, I'll post here how to integrate with Lightroom so that any vid readable in VLC will appear in Lightroom.

Return to “VLC media player for macOS Troubleshooting”