VLC UDP multicast on Lion not working any more

macOS specific usage questions
fartner
New Cone
New Cone

VLC UDP multicast on Lion not working any more

Postby fartner » 02 Aug 2011 20:59

I have an Austrian IP TV subscription (A1 TV for the sake of completeness).
They provide an UDP multicast.
Grabbing it via VLC worked wonderfully well till I installed Lion.
Now it seems VLC is able to join the group, but afterwards waits forever as no stream is received.

There is already a similar thread here... viewtopic.php?f=12&t=92231
The user opened it said he fixed the problem and closed the thread... unfortunately without writing what exactly he did to make it work...

So please can anyone help me out?

crackstone
Blank Cone
Blank Cone
VLC version: 2.1.0-git
Operating System: Mac OS X

Re: VLC UDP multicast on Lion not working any more

Postby crackstone » 04 Aug 2011 13:20

Is the UDP multicast address of the following format: udp://[[<source address>]@[<bind address>][:<bind port>]] or do you access the stream via rtsp? I've had a similar problem, where accessing a Sanyo multicast via rtsp could only be achieved by adding --rtsp-mcast and rtsp credentials. I don't know if this could help in your case as I don't know how you exactly access the stream, but you never know.

Some wild guesses, to change values and see what happens:
--netsync-timeout <integer> UDP timeout (in ms)
--udp-caching <integer> Caching value in ms

Have you tried repairing permissions just like santix did in the other thread you mentioned.
But then again I have no idea ;)

//crackstone

fartner
New Cone
New Cone

Postby fartner » 04 Aug 2011 18:09

Well...

I've got 2 possibilities: udp://@239.0.16.1:8208 or rtp://@239.2.16.1:8208
but till now I used the udp stuff.
What did you do to get the rtp going?

I've to change the mentioned values via telnet, right?

The problem with santix' post is, that I don't know what he did with the permission. Do you have an idea?

wgshiver
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby wgshiver » 04 Aug 2011 22:54

Has anyone found a solution to this yet. I have got it working in Snow Leopard just fine but no luck on LIon. I did look at the plugins and noticed that x-google-vlc-plugin was not inatalled. Is this required to get multicast working?

If not what is needed to get it working on Lion. This is getting very frustrating.

crackstone
Blank Cone
Blank Cone
VLC version: 2.1.0-git
Operating System: Mac OS X

Postby crackstone » 04 Aug 2011 23:06

Ok so I'm not too sure if the rtsp-mcast flag will do any good because this is udp and rtp. However if you want to try I would just issue the following command via terminal:
/Applications/VLC.app/Contents/MacOS/VLC -vvv rtp://@239.2.16.1:8208 --rtsp-mcast
To be honest this doesn't make any sense to me, because the rtsp flag is for rtsp streams... anyhow try it; can't hurt ;)

I'm not familiar with telnet, so I can't answer that correctly. Issue the command via terminal.
Also look at the verbose output, if you haven't done that already, maybe you can find something that will give you a hint at what may be wrong.

Concerning santix' post: From what I read from his thread, he repaired permissions. I interpret that as repairing disk permissions. You can do that via the 'Disk Utility' program from Apple.
Open Disk Utility (Festplatten Dienstprogramm is the german word for it I guess). You'll find it via Spotlight. Then just click on your Macintosh HD, go to the First Aid Tab and hit 'Repair Disk Permissions'. That should do it.

//crackstone

fartner
New Cone
New Cone

Postby fartner » 05 Aug 2011 10:14

Did the permission repair... unfortunately no effect on udp on VLC... :-(

wgshiver
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby wgshiver » 05 Aug 2011 14:42

I"ve tried everything mentioned with no luck. Hopefully there will be a fix for this soon.

fartner
New Cone
New Cone

Postby fartner » 05 Aug 2011 20:01

Thank god there's another one having the problem.
If this is a general problem a quick solution is much more likely.

Does it make sense to open a new bug for this?

fkuehne
Developer
Developer
VLC version: 0.4.6 - present
Operating System: Darwin

Postby fkuehne » 08 Aug 2011 12:31

Regrettably, this isn't a bug in VLC. I can't reproduce this issue on my Macs running Lion, so this must be a firewall issue.
VideoLAN
Felix Paul Kühne
Medic. VLC developer for appleOS since before you were born.
Blog: https://www.feepk.net

fartner
New Cone
New Cone

Postby fartner » 08 Aug 2011 16:11

The first thing I tried was to disable the firewall of course.
With no effect.

UDP multicast was still not working.

How did you try to reproduce this? Do you have any open UDP multicast addresses? If you tell me I'll try the same at home, so I can rule out a provider problem (it works with the provider box of course)...

wgshiver
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby wgshiver » 08 Aug 2011 16:35

I dont think it is a firewall issue because we have it working just fine on our Snow Leopard machines, Windows machines and Linux machines just fine across the whole network. We are using Cicso 3560's with multicast enabled and VSI encoder cards. I know the stream is working fine because like I said it works fine on everything else.

I have learned that it is not necessarily a Lion thing because the stream plays fine in Google Chrome on Lion. I wonder if it is the version of Safari that is causing this problem?

I wrote my own program with XCode 4 and embedded a Webkit view. When I first ran that program it did not work but then I ran that program in 32-bit mode and it works great now. So to me the plug-in is working fine its just not working with Safari. Thats what leads me to believe it is a Safari version issue. They probably changed something and messed it all up.

I am going to try and downgrade my Safari version on Lion from 5.1 to 5.0.4 and see if it works. Not that that will be a solution but at least I will know where the problem is coming from.

fartner
New Cone
New Cone

Postby fartner » 09 Aug 2011 20:26

If Chrome on Lion works well it's still a VLC bug, isn't it?
VLC is based on C++ code as far as I understood. I can't imagine how VLC's C++ code is linked to Safari...

How did you open an udp stream with Chrome? I tried it by using the address field, but just got a search result...

wgshiver
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby wgshiver » 09 Aug 2011 21:03

We have it embedded in our intranet page at work using the code below. It pulls up fine on Chrome and my web browser I wrote. Not so much in Safari.

How are you trying to pull up the multicast? Are you just trying to use VLC -> Open Network Stream?

Code: Select all

<object classid="clsid:9BE31822-FDAD-461B-AD51-BE1D1C159921" codebase="http://downloads.videolan.org/pub/videolan/vlc/latest/win32/axvlc.cab" width="<?php echo $width;?>" height="<?php echo $height;?>" id="vlc1" events="True"> <param name="Src" value="udp://@239.224.1.78:4900"></param> <param name="ShowDisplay" value="True" ></param> <param name="AutoLoop" value="no"></param> <param name="AutoPlay" value="yes"></param> <embed type="application/x-google-vlc-plugin" name="vlcfirefox" autoplay="yes" loop="yes" width="<?php echo $width;?>" height="<?php echo $height;?>" target="udp://@239.224.1.78:4900"></embed> </object>

fartner
New Cone
New Cone

Postby fartner » 10 Aug 2011 19:56

Yes... I used the open network option and it worked fine, till I installed Lion.

Your code is not working on Chrome... Plugin not available.

wgshiver
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby wgshiver » 11 Aug 2011 16:49

I know for sure that code works on Lion because I am using it. I am assuming you downloaded the VLC Web Plugin for Mac, http://sourceforge.net/projects/vlc/fil ... ad?_test=A

With that installed it works fine in Chrome.

As far as your problem goes I have not seen this issue. When I run the VLC app and go to Open Network and type udp://@239.224.1.79:4900 my stream comes up fine on Lion. I have attached a screen shot of it to show you. It shows the version of VLC I'm using, the version of Mac I have to show you its lion and if you look at VLC you will see I am playing a multicast stream. I am not sure why this is not working for you. This is a brand new machine straight out of the box that has nothing on it but the Web Client I wrote and VLC.

[img]
http://www.teamcynergi.com/screenshot.png
[/img]

fartner
New Cone
New Cone

Postby fartner » 14 Aug 2011 11:23

Oh man... that's pretty bad news for me, as this implies it's not a VLC, nor a Lion problem...
...but nevertheless, strange coincidence it happened just after the Lion upgrade... :-(

xpirel
New Cone
New Cone

Postby xpirel » 19 Aug 2011 17:20

The UDP multicast streams I was joining stopped working with the Lion update at well. It turns out the problem for me only happens when I'm joining the source multicast network using vlan tags.

When I tested joining the network untagged everything worked fine. I'm not sure yet if the vlan tag issue is vlc or osx issue.

fartner
New Cone
New Cone

Postby fartner » 03 Sep 2011 17:45

How did you join the network untagged?

zohere
New Cone
New Cone

Postby zohere » 14 Dec 2011 12:31

I had the same problem as the original poster. Setting IPv6 in the network preferences to 'Link-local only' solved this for me, I can now watch our internal UDP streams.
(Our streaming server restricts access to certain networks; possible that they didn't include the IPv6 addresses to their list, not sure... )

Return to “VLC media player for macOS Troubleshooting”