Nightly build on Snow Leopard hang

macOS specific usage questions
scramjet
New Cone
New Cone

Nightly build on Snow Leopard hang

Postby scramjet » 24 Nov 2010 02:32

Hello all, just a quick question: are the current 32-bit "git" nightlies for Snow Leopard working for anyone? None of the builds for the past few months work for me, they all just spin 100% CPU and churn out thousands of messages like:

24/11/10 11:47:27 AM [0x0-0x90b90b].org.videolan.vlc[62590] Cannot delete stdin/stdout client.

to the console.

Running a trace from the Activity Monitor seems to indicate that it's spinning inside the Lua interpreter, and a grep shows that the message is indeed coming from Lua code.

Anyone have a suggestion?

I'd be happy to get set up to build it myself if I had any confidence that it would behave any differently.

UPDATE: I've since built this as 64-bit on my machine, disabling Lua with --disable-lua during config, and same problem.
Last edited by scramjet on 25 Nov 2010 02:09, edited 1 time in total.

maitrepiet
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Re: Nightly build on Snow Leopard hang

Postby maitrepiet » 24 Nov 2010 20:27

I have the feeling lua simply does not work( on Windows ?).
I tried the official release 1.1.5 and it does indeed consume a lot of CPU power, but it does not work.
I tried the remote control interface, both with console and socket. No success so far.

All help would be highly appreciated.

Technologicat
Blank Cone
Blank Cone
VLC version: 1.1.5, 1.2-git
Operating System: Mac OS, Linux

Postby Technologicat » 14 Dec 2010 06:35

Hello all, just a quick question: are the current 32-bit "git" nightlies for Snow Leopard working for anyone?
To my understanding, no. The old OS X GUI has gone out of date with respect to the updated core. It is basically not available for 1.2-git, but the new GUI isn't ready.

To read about the new GUI project, see these links:
http://wiki.videolan.org/Lunettes
https://github.com/pdherbemont/Glasses/wiki

As for how active the project is, maybe someone else has a better idea of that.

scramjet
New Cone
New Cone

Postby scramjet » 17 Jan 2011 06:28

To my understanding, no. The old OS X GUI has gone out of date with respect to the updated core. It is basically not available for 1.2-git, but the new GUI isn't ready.
Thanks very much for that info, means I can stop spinning my wheels.

I need one of the new features in the 1.2 branch (ability to handle progressive low-latecy H.264 frames), so I think I may need to look at writing something myself using VLCkit.

Technologicat
Blank Cone
Blank Cone
VLC version: 1.1.5, 1.2-git
Operating System: Mac OS, Linux

Postby Technologicat » 17 Jan 2011 18:43

Thanks very much for that info, means I can stop spinning my wheels.
No problem.
I need one of the new features in the 1.2 branch (ability to handle progressive low-latecy H.264 frames), so I think I may need to look at writing something myself using VLCkit.
Since posting that, I've found out that VLCKit isn't working correctly, either. See this thread: viewtopic.php?f=32&t=84336
The parameter corruption I got may be spurious, but in addition to myself, two other people have reported the white screen problem, so it probably happens regardless.

If you want to compile Lunettes (it seemed ok for basic functionality), it requires some tuning but is certainly less work than writing an app from scratch. See my post here: viewtopic.php?f=12&t=85816

scramjet
New Cone
New Cone

Postby scramjet » 18 Jan 2011 03:05

Thanks again. Will have a think about the best way forward and post if I find anything relevant to this thread.

Return to “VLC media player for macOS Troubleshooting”