Contributing to VLC & the state of VLC for Mac

macOS specific usage questions
wang888
New Cone
New Cone

Re: Contributing to VLC & the state of VLC for Mac

Postby wang888 » 28 Aug 2010 11:41

Where on the web site other than the usual Developer and Contribute sections that just state a generic need? Perhaps something large on the homepage that states the specific need for experienced Mac developers would be more effective.

Rémi Denis-Courmont
Developer
Developer
VLC version: master
Operating System: Linux

Postby Rémi Denis-Courmont » 06 Sep 2010 02:50

Been there, done that.

It does not work. I used to think it was a good idea. I know think it would do us a disservice. Why?

It always causes a bunch of candidate 'developers' to ask all kinds of question, that are just spending the precious little time of the existing developers, and never any actual help. And then, the press and blogosphere may fill up with advices to switch away from VLC to competing media players.

Really, none of this helps.
Rémi Denis-Courmont
https://www.remlab.net/
Private messages soliciting support will be systematically discarded

m4gnus
New Cone
New Cone

Postby m4gnus » 15 Nov 2010 06:15

It would be nice if VLC were to have a more modern GUI, but I don't really mind it the way it is now. The truth is that a lot of "staple" programs are usually not very good in their mac incarnations. Lunettes seemed like quite an exciting project, however it looks like it has gone by the wasteside? If I was a programmer (Well, I do write code but usually only for server languages) I'd definitely help, I wish I could help some other way.

Does anybody know about Lunettes?

New Cone
New Cone
VLC version: 1.1.6
Operating System: OS X Server 10.6.6

Postby avatar139 » 10 Jan 2011 05:10

To cull from existing VLC users, maybe add a menu to the VLC app menu that says something like "Become a VLC developer..." that leads to a web page with the information they need to know for their skill-set and a sign-up form.

Open-source does not work with sign-up forms. It works with people spontaneously sending patches.

I disagree, one can easily lead to the other on various projects I've seen (and worked on) over the years. True, one shouldn't be required to have to sign-up, but I don't think the two have to be mutually exclusive.

Lots of developers wish to contribute time and code but have their contributions recognized, after all!
We have no problem finding people who would want to join the fame and volunteer themselves. But we do have problem finding people who actually do anything productive past that stage.
Yeah, but doesn't that argument apply to every method you could possibly employ of trying to find additional help?

In order to get people to help, you need to spread the word that you need help first, and an in menu link to a development page is common practice to a lot of open source software on the Mac. While I think you're right that a lot of people do end up flaking out, you do end up with at least some wheat after it's been separated from the chaff. :mrgreen:
The most important thing you should know about me is that I’m honest enough to admit that I lie to myself!

Return to “VLC media player for macOS Troubleshooting”