170Hz Equalizer slider is inverted

macOS specific usage questions
Peat
New Cone
New Cone

170Hz Equalizer slider is inverted

Postby Peat » 28 Jun 2010 23:58

Hello,

I noticed that the function of the 170Hz band slider on the graphic equalizer is inverted. When you lower the slider to the bottom it sounds as though it is set to full gain. When you slide it to the top it sounds as though it is at the lowest gain. I've tested this on two different Macs (iMac 2.66GHz Core i5 and a MacBook Pro 2.8GHz Intel Core 2 Duo). I am running version 1.1.0. I also saw this issue with the previous version.

My apologies if this has already been posted.

Peat

Jean-Baptiste Kempf
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
VLC version: 4.0.0-git
Operating System: Linux, Windows, Mac

Re: 170Hz Equalizer slider is inverted

Postby Jean-Baptiste Kempf » 29 Jun 2010 00:49

I have heard about that bug quite a lot... But I don't see were the bug is...
Jean-Baptiste Kempf
http://www.jbkempf.com/ - http://www.jbkempf.com/blog/category/Videolan
VLC media player developer, VideoLAN President and Sites administrator
If you want an answer to your question, just be specific and precise. Don't use Private Messages.

ajmas
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna
VLC version: 3.0.x
Operating System: MacOS X

Postby ajmas » 02 Jul 2010 21:30

Are you able to produce a test case that would allow a tone-deaf developer (not referring to anyone) to reproduce this? For example using a reference audio file and a piece of software to show what is happening. Anything that could help the developer reproduce the scenario on their computer would be appreciated.
Providing logs, messages, configuration info (VLC, OS, Hardware) and a clear explanation of the issue always helps the problem solvers help you, even if they don't end up solving the issue. Just think what you would need if you were solving someone else's problem. Additional: Always looking for eager and capable MacOS X developers to join the VLC team - for more information see here.

roger jonsson
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby roger jonsson » 04 Jul 2010 12:03

This bug has been with us (and reported) since 1.0. The 170Hz slider worked as expected up to at least 0.9.9a. (Just tested it)

1.If you lower the 170Hz slider you should get less audio, -but you get more. -This half of the slider is inverted.
2.If you raise it to max (from center) nothing happens. -This half of the slider does not do anything.

Tone deaf or not, any developer who is not completey deaf should be able to understand that the 170Hz slider on the VLC Eq does not work as expected (as the other bands), given the he/she is not listening through the computers tiny built in computer speakers. As the built in computer speakers are often cutting anything below several hundred Hz, the 170Hz band and below can not be tested through these.
-Please try it listening through headphones or not the smallest external speakers...

ptr
New Cone
New Cone

Postby ptr » 24 Aug 2010 23:44

Hey - still no bugfix? It is easily reproducible as roger stated and seams like a stupid small bug (at least the inversion)...

ajmas
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna
VLC version: 3.0.x
Operating System: MacOS X

Postby ajmas » 25 Aug 2010 16:00

If any of you have access to Windows or Linux, could you see if the issue is there too?
Providing logs, messages, configuration info (VLC, OS, Hardware) and a clear explanation of the issue always helps the problem solvers help you, even if they don't end up solving the issue. Just think what you would need if you were solving someone else's problem. Additional: Always looking for eager and capable MacOS X developers to join the VLC team - for more information see here.

roger jonsson
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby roger jonsson » 02 Sep 2010 19:42

In the windows version the Eq seems OK. (Just tried 1.14)

roger jonsson
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby roger jonsson » 15 Sep 2010 11:15

I found something...
There is a space missing between 60 and 170Hz values in the OS X preference vlcrc. Adding a space there makes 170Hz work, until an Eq slider is moved, then the space gets lost and 170 is broken again.
That is the reason why nothing happens when a slider is moved upwards and that is is inverted downwards. The values are misinterpreted.

After moving an eq-slider:
# Bands gain (string)
equalizer-bands=0.03.9 0.0 4.8 0.0 0.0 0.0 0.0 0.0 0.0

Inserting a space in the file and restart makes 170Hz act as supposed:
# Bands gain (string)
0.0 3.9 0.0 4.8 0.0 0.0 0.0 0.0 0.0 0.0
(until an eq slider is moved...)

Edit: A bug ticket has been created (Ticket #4177)

Return to “VLC media player for macOS Troubleshooting”