macOS specific usage questions
ofrash
New Cone
New Cone

subtitles problem - background for RTL languages

Postby ofrash » 05 Feb 2010 00:57

hello,
i'm using the latest vlc (1.0.5).
I would like to use background for my external subtitle. I know that in order to get background i need to choose "freetype2 text render". When i do so, i get the background but the font get scrambled (instead of hebrew letters i get squares and dots). It works great with English subtitle, and when i'm changing the text render to either "Quartz font render" or "Default" i can read the hebrew subtitle but than there is no background.
i using the Hebrew encoding (iso 8859-8) but i have tried it with hebrew windows 1255, UTF-8 and UTF-16 and it didn't worked .the external subtitle files i'm using are usually SRT. Any idea??
Many Thanks,
Ofra

ofrash
New Cone
New Cone

Re: subtitles problem - background for RTL languages

Postby ofrash » 07 Feb 2010 16:52

Hi again,
I have more info - i have switched back to vlc 1.0.1, this is the most updated version of vlc that supports Hebrew subtitles with background (freetype2). Does someone here have any idea what should i do in order to make it works with the 1.0.5 version? is there any special hebrew font i should use??

snix
Cone that earned his stripes
Cone that earned his stripes

Postby snix » 09 Feb 2010 18:58

if you have the necessary font installed and know which encoding to use, it should work for srt files.

here's an example of setting up vlc to use korean subtitles:
viewtopic.php?f=12&t=61907#p206952
VLC 3.0.11 / Mac OS X 10.13.6 / Intel Core i7 HD3000

Mugzemet
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Mugzemet » 02 Jul 2010 10:38

Hello,
I have looked around here and did the following settings:
1. VLC>Prefs (Basic)>Default Encoding>Hebrew (Windows-1255), Font>I Selected Arial Hebrew (but it will not show it under new version 1.1.0)
2. VLC>Prefs (All)>Video>Subtitles/OSD>Text Rendering Module>Freetype2 font Render.
3. VLC>Prefs (All)>Video>Subtitles/OSD>Text Render>Where is the font selection that was on previous version 1.0.5 gone? I guess it moved to my 4 settings...
so I went there....
4. VLC>Prefs (All)>Video>Subtitles/OSD>Text Render for mac>How do I select a font? there is NO browse button....

The results:
1. VLC tend to crash,
2. Subtitles are coming in Squares instead of characters.
3. I still don't understand the font issue. many times i selct a specific font, but the subtitles will appear in a different one (that is when the option in 2 is NOT selected)

Can somone from the VLC team can help us solve it out?
Thank you

tasmi
New Cone
New Cone

Postby tasmi » 08 Dec 2011 20:39

Hi.

I'm, having the same problem with the special characters of the Spanish language, they appear as squares.

I'm using the last version, 1.1.12, on Snow Leopard

Return to “VLC media player for macOS Troubleshooting”