How to demux .flv?

macOS specific usage questions
Drain Pipe
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

How to demux .flv?

Postby Drain Pipe » 18 Jan 2010 14:00

Hi, how do you demux a saved .flv file (h.264/AAC)?

Jean-Baptiste Kempf
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
VLC version: 4.0.0-git
Operating System: Linux, Windows, Mac

Re: How to demux .flv?

Postby Jean-Baptiste Kempf » 18 Jan 2010 15:35

Demux to do what?
Jean-Baptiste Kempf
http://www.jbkempf.com/ - http://www.jbkempf.com/blog/category/Videolan
VLC media player developer, VideoLAN President and Sites administrator
If you want an answer to your question, just be specific and precise. Don't use Private Messages.

Drain Pipe
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby Drain Pipe » 18 Jan 2010 17:06

So that i can re-mux them (without re-encoding) as mp4 or some other container

snix
Cone that earned his stripes

Postby snix » 09 Feb 2010 18:22

just open the flv file with quicktime player (may require perian installed) then "save as" or export. you don't need vlc to do what you want to do.
VLC 3.0.11 / Mac OS X 10.13.6 / Intel Core i7 HD3000

Drain Pipe
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby Drain Pipe » 10 Feb 2010 13:43

Well I want to demux it so that I can access the video and audio streams seperatly and if I want to remux it later there will be no loss of quality or re-encoding involved .
It is the demuxing part that I'd like to be able to do. Is it even possible in theory to demux flv files?

ajmas
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna
VLC version: 3.0.x
Operating System: MacOS X

Postby ajmas » 11 Feb 2010 22:18

Without knowing what tools are available for flv, I can't help you.

The best solution would simply be to convert it to MPEG4, for which tools are available. Maybe simply increasing the bit-rate used for encoding the video could help reduce potential noise creeping in. Adobe would be the best people to help you with manipulating flv, IMO, so you should check their forums to see if they have anything to offer. Yet another alternative is finding out the person with the original video (pre-flv) and working with them, if that is a possibility.
Providing logs, messages, configuration info (VLC, OS, Hardware) and a clear explanation of the issue always helps the problem solvers help you, even if they don't end up solving the issue. Just think what you would need if you were solving someone else's problem. Additional: Always looking for eager and capable MacOS X developers to join the VLC team - for more information see here.

Drain Pipe
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby Drain Pipe » 12 Feb 2010 12:00

Thanks ajamas. Yeah there are a few work arounds. However, I would like to be able to demux the flv. I saw a Windows only app called FLV extract which seems to more or less demux the audio and video... so it is possible.

Good tip about Adobe forums. I will take a wander over there and see what I can find out.

Thanks for your help.

snix

Postby snix » 13 Feb 2010 01:00

like i said before, just open the flv file in quicktime player (with perian installed). CMD+J will open the properties window and you can extract each track from there.

Drain Pipe
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby Drain Pipe » 13 Feb 2010 15:24

like i said before, just open the flv file in quicktime player (with perian installed). CMD+J will open the properties window and you can extract each track from there.
When I try CMD+J nothing happens. I have scanned down through the menus (File, Edit, View, Share, Window) and I can't see any function that corresponds to CMD+J. Is there a menu item for your keyboard short cut? I have perian installed.

Thanks snix

snix

Postby snix » 13 Feb 2010 18:14

it's under the Window menu, Show Movie Properies:

Drain Pipe
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby Drain Pipe » 13 Feb 2010 21:51

No, not on mine its not!!! ? :( What version of QuickTime player are you using?

snix

Postby snix » 13 Feb 2010 21:55

sorry, forgot to mention i'm using quicktime 7.6.4 in leopard 10.5.8. quicktime x in snow leopard sucks.

Drain Pipe
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby Drain Pipe » 13 Feb 2010 22:10

Ah, that explains it. I'm snow leopard and quick time player 10.0 (?) Thanks for tryin' anyway. Cheers.

kdean
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna
VLC version: 2.2
Operating System: Mac OS

Postby kdean » 14 Feb 2010 16:38

You can continue to have QuickTime player 7.x under Snow Leopard. If it's already installed, you'll find it in your Utilities folder.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3678
To install the QuickTime Player 7 from the Mac OS X v10.6 Snow Leopard install DVD:

• Insert your Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard Install DVD.
• Open the Optional Installs folder and double-click "Optional Installs.mpkg".
• Select the QuickTime 7 option and click Continue.
• QuickTime Player 7 will be installed in your Utilities folder.

Note: If you double-click any media that requires QuickTime Player 7 for playback and it is not already installed, you will be asked if you want to download it from Apple.

f you have a QuickTime 7 Pro registration code on your computer, QuickTime Player 7 is automatically installed in your Utilities folder during the Mac OS X v10.6 installation process. QuickTime Player 7 recognizes your valid registration code and enables QuickTime Pro functionality.

Drain Pipe
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby Drain Pipe » 15 Feb 2010 13:37

Thansk kdean. I installed QuickTime 7 from the Snow Leopard DVD. It turns out that the CMD+J feature of QuickTime is for the pro version only :(

Thanks again, to one and all.

Is it just me or does any one else find the QucikTime "suite" mighty f*&@ing confusing? There is QuickTime 7, there is QuickTime player 7, there is QuickTime 7 pro, there is QuickTime X and there is QuickTime player 10. QuickTime player 10 won't play QTVR but QuickTime player 7 will ??? Neither of them will play MPEG2 unless I shell out for an MPEG2 plugin, yet VLC will play MPEG2 for free!!!

You'd think with QuickTime X/player 10 shipping with Snow Leopard that its the 'current' QuickTime package yet if you go to apple's QuickTime page they are pushing QT 7 there http://www.apple.com/quicktime/.

WTF? :!:

ajmas
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna
VLC version: 3.0.x
Operating System: MacOS X

Postby ajmas » 15 Feb 2010 17:13

Quicktime (QT) is in transition from the 'old' architecture used in Quicktime 7 to the 'new' architecture used in Quicktime X. Because of this not everything that is present in previous versions of Quicktime are present in the current version. As time goes on we should see less and less need for Quicktime 7, as the missing functionality will be added to later releases. From what I understand playback was the first priority of the new generation of QT, and the more advanced features second. At this point there are solutions, but the 'new improved experience' is still a work in progress.

Edit: a better explanation is here: http://arstechnica.com/apple/reviews/20 ... 10-6.ars/6
Providing logs, messages, configuration info (VLC, OS, Hardware) and a clear explanation of the issue always helps the problem solvers help you, even if they don't end up solving the issue. Just think what you would need if you were solving someone else's problem. Additional: Always looking for eager and capable MacOS X developers to join the VLC team - for more information see here.

Drain Pipe
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby Drain Pipe » 16 Feb 2010 14:52

Quicktime (QT) is in transition from the 'old' architecture used in Quicktime 7 to the 'new' architecture used in Quicktime X. Because of this not everything that is present in previous versions of Quicktime are present in the current version. As time goes on we should see less and less need for Quicktime 7, as the missing functionality will be added to later releases. From what I understand playback was the first priority of the new generation of QT, and the more advanced features second. At this point there are solutions, but the 'new improved experience' is still a work in progress.

Edit: a better explanation is here: http://arstechnica.com/apple/reviews/20 ... 10-6.ars/6
Thanks for that. It does help clarify the situation. I don't know why apple cant have something (more concise) along those lines on their QuickTime page.

Newrone
Blank Cone
Blank Cone
VLC version: 2.2.0
Operating System: Windows 7

Postby Newrone » 17 May 2010 23:12

Is it just me or does any one else find the QucikTime "suite" mighty f*&@ing confusing? There is QuickTime 7, there is QuickTime player 7, there is QuickTime 7 pro, there is QuickTime X and there is QuickTime player 10. QuickTime player 10 won't play QTVR but QuickTime player 7 will ??? Neither of them will play MPEG2 unless I shell out for an MPEG2 plugin, yet VLC will play MPEG2 for free!!!

You'd think with QuickTime X/player 10 shipping with Snow Leopard that its the 'current' QuickTime package yet if you go to apple's QuickTime page they are pushing QT 7 there http://www.apple.com/quicktime/.
Sorry but... Lol @ Apple! :lol:
(Ok ok, I'm gone... :wink: ...And WMP is hardly any competition!)

Return to “VLC media player for macOS Troubleshooting”