64 bit help and info please...

macOS specific usage questions
brechtsky3
New Cone
New Cone

64 bit help and info please...

Postby brechtsky3 » 27 Sep 2009 05:01

how do I use the 64bit mode--?

Can I start the application in 64bit, or do I have to startup the computer in 64bit-- and if yes, what is the key combination you hold during startup, 6 and 4?

Any other info worth noting?

Thanks.

Jean-Baptiste Kempf
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
VLC version: 4.0.0-git
Operating System: Linux, Windows, Mac

Re: 64 bit help and info please...

Postby Jean-Baptiste Kempf » 27 Sep 2009 17:59

You can start VLC 64bits in 32 and 64 bits kernel
Jean-Baptiste Kempf
http://www.jbkempf.com/ - http://www.jbkempf.com/blog/category/Videolan
VLC media player developer, VideoLAN President and Sites administrator
If you want an answer to your question, just be specific and precise. Don't use Private Messages.

brechtsky3
New Cone
New Cone

Postby brechtsky3 » 27 Sep 2009 21:41

do you really think that was a helpful answer?

iamse7en
New Cone
New Cone

Postby iamse7en » 29 Sep 2009 00:50

Your computer must be 64-bit capable. If it has an intel core 2 duo, then it is. And I would recommend having Snow Leopard (10.6), because although you can still run it in Leopard (10.5), the kernal in Leopard is still 32-bit, but I don't understand how that all plays out and whether there's much difference in running the 32-bit or 64-bit VLC app in Leopard (10.5). Snow Leopard has a 64-bit kernal, and Leopard has a 32-bit kernal, and j-b (above) was explaining that you can start VLC-64-bit in 32 AND 64 bit kernal, which means it will run in Leopard AND Snow Leopard, but again I don't know if Leopard will fully utilize the 64-bit app, and therefore making it pointless...

If your computer is 64-bit capable, and you have Snow Leopard installed, VLC-64-bit will automatically open in 64-bit mode. With Snow Leopard apps (like Safari, iCal and other 64-bit apps), you have to TELL it to open in 32-bit mode (get info on the app, and check box "Open in 32-bit mode." However, it seems VLC-64-bit doesn't have this option, so it always run in 64-bit mode. I guess that makes sense, because if you want it to run in 32-bit mode, just download the VLC-32-bit app.

So, in short, the app will run in 64-bit mode by default. You don't need to do anything.

I recently installed the 64-bit version, and it launches SO fast. My previous version of VLC would bounce like 5 times before it finally opened, but this launches as soon as I open it - no bounces at all. It's brilliant.

I'll have to check it to see if the post-1.0 bugs are still there, like stuttering playback and overall slowness/bugginess.

fkuehne
Developer
Developer
VLC version: 0.4.6 - present
Operating System: Darwin

Postby fkuehne » 30 Sep 2009 15:01

The universal binary of VLC (the 40 MB plus download) includes all 3 supported architectures aka PowerPC 32bit, Intel 32 bit and Intel 64bit. By default, it will use the 64bit mode on 64bit-capable Intel-based Macs. This will also work on 10.5 Leopard btw.
VideoLAN
Felix Paul Kühne
Medic. VLC developer for appleOS since before you were born.
Blog: https://www.feepk.net

1town
New Cone
New Cone

Postby 1town » 01 Oct 2009 20:39

I have Snow Leopard, and 64-bit computer, but VLC still boots in 32-bit mode for me.

Edit: Macbook Pro Core2Duo, btw.

Edit2: Nevermind, I just realized I updated through VLC, thus i only got the 32bit app. [face_palm] As you were, gentlemen.

nikola23
Cone that earned his stripes
VLC version: 1.2 pre3
Operating System: Win7\Ubuntu 10.10

Postby nikola23 » 03 Oct 2009 00:36

Thanks for the clarification Fkuehne. I wasn't aware that universal binaries could contain x64 code too i thought it was just a ppc + intel container.

madog
New Cone
New Cone

Postby madog » 13 Oct 2009 23:23

I was just registering to ask the same question as I just installed Snow Leopard, and when visiting videolan's home page, the download icon on the right side defaulted to the Intel 32-bit version. I know it autodetects what OS you are running, so I was curious as to why it didn't show up the 64-bit version as I have a C2D MBP (if that's even detectable).

In regards to the 32/64-bit kernal, in SL, only the XServe defaults to booting the 64-bit kernal. My understanding is because there is less likely of a chance of old/random drivers being used on that machine. Just about every other peripheral for the notebooks and desktops are still written in 32-bit.

Therefore, machines that are capable of running 64-bit, need to hold down the 6 and 4 keys during startup to boot to the 64-bit kernal. However, it's not a great idea for most users. As you can gather from the comment about the XServe above, many third-party system level software is made for 32-bit systems, so that is why all of the other computers default into 32-bit (and then, the older Intel machines can't boot to 64-bit).

Also, while running SL, you can "get info" on most of the Apple applications/utilities to see they have a 32-bit run option (forgot specifically why, but it's there, like iamse7en said).

Lastly, even though the kernal is running in 32-bit, the the apps can still be 64-bit. I didn't understand why at first, and while I can't remember specifically at the moment it's some weird Unix thing, and apps aren't running off of the kernal directly so it can be independent from the apps.

nikola23
VLC version: 1.2 pre3
Operating System: Win7\Ubuntu 10.10

Postby nikola23 » 14 Oct 2009 08:21

I was just registering to ask the same question as I just installed Snow Leopard, and when visiting videolan's home page, the download icon on the right side defaulted to the Intel 32-bit version. I know it autodetects what OS you are running, so I was curious as to why it didn't show up the 64-bit version as I have a C2D MBP (if that's even detectable).
The website just checks for OSX actually. It doesn't check version number.

Return to “VLC media player for macOS Troubleshooting”