stdin on OSX?

macOS specific usage questions
mguertin
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

stdin on OSX?

Postby mguertin » 10 Jul 2009 23:32

I can't seem to be able to figure out how to get VLC on OSX to use stdin from CLI ... I've tried using all three of: - and /dev/stdin and stream:///dev/stdin

Any suggestions? Is this possible?

mguertin
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Re: stdin on OSX?

Postby mguertin » 12 Jul 2009 19:27

bump! No body has an answer to this question? I also asked it about 3 years ago and got no answer then ...

The use of stdin is an incredibly useful thing for me and am hoping that I'm just missing something and that it indeed works on OSX.

mguertin
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby mguertin » 20 Jul 2009 18:56

Bump one more time ..

Does _anybody_ know if it's possible to use stdin on OSX? If so how can it be done?

ajmas
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna
VLC version: 3.0.x
Operating System: MacOS X

Postby ajmas » 20 Jul 2009 19:38

I have no idea whether this is possible, but what are you trying to achieve?
Providing logs, messages, configuration info (VLC, OS, Hardware) and a clear explanation of the issue always helps the problem solvers help you, even if they don't end up solving the issue. Just think what you would need if you were solving someone else's problem. Additional: Always looking for eager and capable MacOS X developers to join the VLC team - for more information see here.

mguertin
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby mguertin » 20 Jul 2009 20:21

I have no idea whether this is possible, but what are you trying to achieve?
I'm trying to pipe in video that I'm capturing with another command line app (from set top box via firewire) and transcode in realtime to x264 or mp4v and then either have it streamed via udp or saved to a local file. Using this sort of approach works fine on the linux version of VLC but I can't seem to get stdin working at all on OSX.

ajmas
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna

Postby ajmas » 22 Jul 2009 03:51

What is the other application?
Providing logs, messages, configuration info (VLC, OS, Hardware) and a clear explanation of the issue always helps the problem solvers help you, even if they don't end up solving the issue. Just think what you would need if you were solving someone else's problem. Additional: Always looking for eager and capable MacOS X developers to join the VLC team - for more information see here.

mguertin
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby mguertin » 22 Jul 2009 03:55

One app I'd like to do this with is a modified version of clover (which is a python wrapped version of the firewire grab examples apple provides in their firewire SDK). I've also got another variation based on apple examples I've been working on that just grabs raw dv streams from firewire.

clover: http://www.remix.net/static/clover/

ajmas
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna

Postby ajmas » 23 Jul 2009 05:09

If you feel comfortable with the source it may be worth building and trying to investigate what is happening. The answer I got on the developer mailing list was not very useful.

I know this is not the most useful answer, but I don't have anything else to offer you at this point

mguertin
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby mguertin » 23 Jul 2009 05:12

If I dig around long enough I might be able to grok enough to see if it's disabled or something I suppose ... but that's about it. Never enough hours in the day!

Was hoping one of the OSX devs knew the answer to this one already :(

spotspot
New Cone
New Cone

Postby spotspot » 17 Oct 2010 16:01

I also need to play stdin on Mac OS X. Is it possible? I tried "cat foo.avi | vlc -" but it just opens up the UI and plays nothing. I found that many of the command line options did not work, eg -f for fullscreen. "vlc -f foo.avi" opens the UI and plays nothing. Omitting the -f does play foo.avi in a window. Some of them did work though, eg "vlc -I rc" brought up the remote control prompt. I am running VLC 1.1.3 on OSX 10.6.4. I am running it from a Terminal command line with alias vlc='/Applications/VLC.app/Contents/MacOS/VLC'

Return to “VLC media player for macOS Troubleshooting”