Cursor sometimes not disappearing in full screen

macOS specific usage questions
ramparts
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Cursor sometimes not disappearing in full screen

Postby ramparts » 21 May 2009 07:26

Every now and then (and increasingly often, lately) when I go into full screen and move the mouse cursor away from the control box, the cursor won't fade away as it usually does - and that obviously gets in the way of the movie! It seems like sometimes the way to fix it is to click inside the control box, but this doesn't always work... anyone else have this issue, or know what to do about it?

ajmas
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna
VLC version: 3.0.x
Operating System: MacOS X

Re: Cursor sometimes not disappearing in full screen

Postby ajmas » 21 May 2009 18:31

I have never observed the issue myself, so I am not sure what to say. Could you describe your environment: OS version, Mac model, VLC version, etc.

Also, have you tried rebooting, or tried as another user, to see if this changes anything?
Providing logs, messages, configuration info (VLC, OS, Hardware) and a clear explanation of the issue always helps the problem solvers help you, even if they don't end up solving the issue. Just think what you would need if you were solving someone else's problem. Additional: Always looking for eager and capable MacOS X developers to join the VLC team - for more information see here.

ramparts
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby ramparts » 21 May 2009 23:49

Most recent OS (10.5.7), VLM 0.8.6f Janus (Intel). Playing AVIs if that matters (not sure of the codec, but it's over a range of videos anyway). It's a recurring issue so I'm not sure if restarting is a temp fix (since this is sporadic) but it's definitely not a permanent fix :)

ajmas
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna

Postby ajmas » 22 May 2009 00:03

Any reason why you aren't using the latest version (0.9.9a)?
Providing logs, messages, configuration info (VLC, OS, Hardware) and a clear explanation of the issue always helps the problem solvers help you, even if they don't end up solving the issue. Just think what you would need if you were solving someone else's problem. Additional: Always looking for eager and capable MacOS X developers to join the VLC team - for more information see here.

ramparts
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby ramparts » 22 May 2009 00:44

Yes - I was unaware of its existence :) Will download it, come back if the problem reoccurs.

ramparts
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby ramparts » 22 May 2009 09:18

Just happened again with the new version! Thanks for the heads up about the upgrade though.

josh.e
New Cone
New Cone

Postby josh.e » 21 Jun 2009 06:22

It happens to me frequently. This is been happening for quite a while now... perhaps the past year or so. It used to not happen. I think there was a re-write of the full screen controller bar feature at one point, and its be doing it ever since that release.

Anyways..here's how to reproduce it. 100% reproducible on my machine.

Start playing a video in full screen
Switch to the Controller window using Expose or Command-`
Wait for the full screen controller bar to disappear (<1sec)
Click on the full screen window
// Mouse cursor doesn't disappear.

OS X 10.5.7
MacBook Pro
VLC 0.9.9a

ajmas
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna

Postby ajmas » 21 Jun 2009 15:24

Could you clear your VLC preferences. I don't believe it will make a difference, but it is worth a shot.

The DJ
Cone Master
Cone Master
VLC version: git
Operating System: Mac OS X

Postby The DJ » 22 Jun 2009 02:33

This is one of those smaller bugs that will not get fixed until we have more Mac OS X developers. We have work enough with all the problems that most people don't see, because we usually fix them in time for a release.

Bugreports:
http://trac.videolan.org/vlc
Don't use PMs for support questions.

ramparts
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby ramparts » 22 Jun 2009 02:39

Thanks for checking in - at least the developers know about it.

Just to add to Josh's posts - the problem occurs for me even when I don't follow his prescription, although I still haven't figured out how to reproduce it yet.

kdean
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna
VLC version: 2.2
Operating System: Mac OS

Postby kdean » 22 Jun 2009 15:04

Whenever I've had the cursor not disappear, usually just clicking the content portion (not on black) part of the video area and waiting the usual few seconds will fix it. It's like the video window is not active even though it's full screen and the timeout of the cursor is not being triggered until you make the video playback window active by clicking on it.

Return to “VLC media player for macOS Troubleshooting”