More Quit problems - hangs/won't quit/ must force-quit

macOS specific usage questions
katlady
New Cone
New Cone

More Quit problems - hangs/won't quit/ must force-quit

Postby katlady » 06 Jan 2009 20:38

Every since time I use VLC, it will hang when I quit and eventually I have to force quit (actually, it takes 2-4 force-quits to finally quit). I'm using Version 1.0.0-git Goldeneye (PowerPC) and I was hoping this problem might have been fixed in this version, but it is not (I have had this problem forever with all the previous versions I've tried).
The quit issue is also there even when I open VLC, let it sit for a minute, and then try to quit it - as in, I don't open/do anything with VLC and it still won't quit.
Between the inability to quit and hanging/crashing at random, VLC has been letting me down way too much.
I like the borderless window option, so I can float a plain movie window over others, and I try VLC and Niceplayer (any other players that can do the borderless window thing?) and it seems that both are being crappy for me.
I'd like to use VLC, but having to force-quit and dealing with crashes all the time is just too much :(

Will the quit problem ever be fixed?

fkuehne
Developer
Developer
VLC version: 0.4.6 - present
Operating System: Darwin

Re: More Quit problems - hangs/won't quit/ must force-quit

Postby fkuehne » 06 Jan 2009 21:22

This bug is definitely present in some _non-released_ development versions of VLC 1.0, but is certainly not in VLC 0.9.x. Please remove both the folder "VLC" and "org.videolan.vlc.plist" in ~/Library/Preferences and try again with an official release (currently 0.9.8a).
VideoLAN
Felix Paul Kühne
Medic. VLC developer for appleOS since before you were born.
Blog: https://www.feepk.net

scoopjuicy

Postby scoopjuicy » 10 Jan 2009 23:32

I have the exact same problem and have for some time. I deleted the pref folder and file mentioned in your message, but the problem persists. I'm using "Version 0.9.8 Grishenko (Intel)" and have never installed (to my knowledge) any _non-released_ development versions of VLC. Recommendations?

Redux
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby Redux » 11 Jan 2009 00:48

try again with an official release (currently 0.9.8a).
One of VLC's great attractions is its ability to play tivo .ty files (old and newer). I don't believe any of the recent 9.x's can do this (some older official releases of VLC had some drivers available).

So, can't use 9.x; we live with the need to force quit VLC 10.x. No huge deal.

EDITED TO UPDATE: I just tried 9.8a to verify that it quits normally, and it does on my Mac Intel Mini. For laughs I tried to open some newer tivo .ty files (roughly 2004+) and discovered that they play fine. I had been told that that capability, included in the 10.x line, would not be retroactively added to 9.x but apparently it has been. This makes 9.8a quite a pleasant experience on the Mac, other than being a little more ragged on some .mkv HiDef stuff. This is a very nice surprise! Not having to force quit after every movie is great, and I may very well go back to 9.8a as my default.

Return to “VLC media player for macOS Troubleshooting”